More on MOT exemption

dougbgt6

On 30/06/2018 at 08:27, dougbgt6 said:

excerpt from the manual. 

The following are only considered a defect if they seriously restrict the driver's view:

• taxi signs to indicate when the vehicle is ‘for hire’
  • ‘official’ stickers, such as parking and disabled permits
  • sun visor on the driver's side that can’t be stowed in the 'off screen' position
  • windscreen wipers that automatically stop in a position obscuring the view

You can remove items such as a sat nav or air fresheners that obstruct the driver's view of the road. However, make sure you tell the driver.

My BMW failed it's first MOT at 3 years old because I had a Sat Nav fitted in the normal central position at the bottom of the screen. They failed it, then took the Sat Nav out and retested it straight away and passed it. I think they probably had a quota for a certain % of failures at the main BMW dealer as they deal with mainly newish dealer serviced vehicles they probably don't get many failures. I only had it tested there as it was a few days before the warranty ran out so I thought if they pick anything up they'll have to fix it under warranty. No way that I'd normally pay the full price for an MOT that they charge when there are plenty of MOT centres doing tests for £30 to £40 with free retests around our way.

On 05/07/2018 at 19:19, mrantell said:

Hello all, sorry to Hijack this thread back to the original subject ....

I just taxed my GT6 and it didn’t ask to declare the car MOT exempt. So got tax but no MOT exemption. I’m assuming that’s because it is currently MOT’d, perhaps only going to the declaring MOT exempt page if you have no MOT,

However, that means in order to declare MOT exempt I’d have to deliberately not MOT next year, and then potentially use the car without MOT until the tax is due and then declare MOT exempt. That means running the car for a period of time without MOT and without exemption.

is it me or is this crazy?

Mike

I checked with the DVLA as it wasn't clear, it becomes automatically exempt at 40 years old if it has no MOT or if the MOT runs out. However you don't declare it as unmodified until the next time you tax it. The declaration is around the car not being substantially modified, there is no declaration for MOT exemption, that's automatic at 40 years old. In fact it can be MOT exempt a long time before it becomes tax exempt as tax exemption starts the beginning of the tax year after the year it's 40 years old. If it was built in February 79 it doesn't become Tax exempt and a VHI until April 2020 but is MOT exempt in Feb 2019. Not that becoming of MOT exemption age stops you from MOTing it, it just gives you the option and it still needs to be roadworthy. Of course some parts of the MOT are nothing to do with Roadworthiness and safety  like emissions, a cracked number plate etc...

13 hours ago, Cookie said:

Of course some parts of the MOT are nothing to do with Roadworthiness and safety  like emissions, a cracked number plate etc...

Unless you've been poisoned by car fumes, or had your windscreen cracked when a large part of someone's number plate flew off in front of you....

• Like 1

Dave, there is a period when you can have it without an MOT but you have not had the opportunity to declare as a VHI so claim MOT exemption.

See the issues that Russell has been having and the resultant communications from the FBHVC. 

Hopefully you have all printed off the DoT letter to present to anyone who may stop you.

Cheers Colin

Colin,

You log onto .gov and cancel your road tax, this prompts a message "you will loose the remainder of your tax £".  As it cost you nothing, it doesn't matter. Then renew your road tax and you will be offered MOT exemption. Simples. No need to carry letters.

Doug

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 19:39, dougbgt6 said:

Colin,

You log onto .gov and cancel your road tax, this prompts a message "you will loose the remainder of your tax £".  As it cost you nothing, it doesn't matter. Then renew your road tax and you will be offered MOT exemption. Simples. No need to carry letters.

Doug

Except for the period between the car becoming 40 years old and qualifying for VHI which can't be done until April the following year. It actually doesn't have to have an MOT from age of 40 even if it's not a VHI, MOT exemption and VHI status are not the same ......

• 4 weeks later...

My Tax reminder/renewal came last week in the post. The vehicle is already classed as historic, the reminder/renewal asks for either an MOT or if it is entitled prove of an MOT exemption.

Reading the notes for an historic vehicle it points you to the V112 if you wish to go down the exemption route.

Dave

Dave, 

Even simpler than that. I sort of did it by accident to see if it worked. I intend to get it MOT'd this year so I bet that'll confuse them!

On 04/02/2019 at 19:39, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

• Like 1

emissions depends on the age of the car , many there are no limits  other than is it smokey

late had emission labels stuck on but a quick search through various WSM gives no clues 

but 70 -75 you are entering the start of levels being required 

haynes gives some for  those with strombergs to  the   US.

1976  1.5% co

1977    3%co

78on     5%

those dont make much sense , and not for UK use

Gov.UK  says pre 75 are just tested by sight   so unless its not coughing and smoking no twiddling is required and any muppet who wants to strangle it should be sent somewhere nasty 

https://www.gov.uk/emissions-testing

Pete

The MOT emissions test instructions for my 1973 car says  "does it smoke excessively?" 

The test gets progressively more difficult the newer the car, after 73 it becomes "does it smoke" Then later, scientific testing which some Triumphs fall foul off. I believe Andy Cook has trouble with his flying log T reg  (picture above) He weakens the mixture before the test and put right afterwards.

My bloke does the full blown test with probes and sensors. I asked him why and he said "I think you'd want to know if it was different from last time, also you're paying for it!" But he doesn't tinker with the carbs, he'd like to, but only in the interest of power output.

Doug

Then my '72 spit should be ok as it doesn't smoke and I can tell the tester not to fiddle. The reason I ask is that I got a 'free mot' voucher from Halfrauds, so you see where this is going... there is nowhere for any spotty faced oick to plug in his computer... probably that is a fail in its own right!!

On 30/06/2018 at 02:27, ShaunW said:

Mine's booked in for Monday. In a chance conversion about the weather when I booked it, I mentioned that I needed to refit my sun visors. He said you need to because it's an mot failure not to have any. 

I've never heard of it before (not surprising really) and I've never seen it on any check lists. 

Was he pulling my leg? 

Sadly , probably  not.

Lives are lost and tragically ruined  in accidents.

But in so many areas  of life ,bureaucratic nonsense insinuates itself into our lives   so  that much time and effort is sacrificed  on the pious alter of “Better Safe  than Sorry” , MOT is  one.

Road safety would be just  as well,  if  better served if a driver was prevented from driving after an emotional conflict where there is dangerous  distraction  caused by  marital ,financial  or work worries. Very loud  aggressive rock music, or even having certain  meals can  apparently be risky.

It would be impracticable  -as would sifting out those with a personality trait tending towards   reflex and mindless aggression that results in them driving with self rightous and  murderous vengefulness, but it would yield  better  results than triumphantly detecting an extra thou.of play  in a wheel bearing, a scratch on a windcreen or a wobbly sun visor.

Very few accidents are related to a mechanical problems (unless you include the oft-quoted problem with the nut that holds  the steering wheel).

10 hours ago, Vanadium23 said:

But in so many areas  of life ,bureaucratic nonsense insinuates itself into our lives   so  that much time and effort is sacrificed  on the pious alter of “Better Safe  than Sorry” , MOT is  one.

Road safety would be just  as well,  if  better served if a driver was prevented from driving after an emotional conflict where there is dangerous  distraction  caused by  marital ,financial  or work worries. Very loud  aggressive rock music, or even having certain  meals can  apparently be risky.

It would be impracticable  -as would sifting out those with a personality trait tending towards   reflex and mindless aggression that results in them driving with self rightous and  murderous vengefulness, but it would yield  better  results than triumphantly detecting an extra thou.of play  in a wheel bearing, a scratch on a windcreen or a wobbly sun visor.

Very few accidents are related to a mechanical problems (unless you include the oft-quoted problem with the nut that holds  the steering wheel).

Or a tongue stuck firmly in the cheek where trying to remove it takes one's mind off the road completely... :)

The late GT6 mk3 has a servo fitted as standard. Mine had never worked, but started to leak. So remove it, or replace it?  Reading the MOT documents revealed it's an MOT fail if it's not there. But, there is no test for it, so it doesn't have to work, just be there. How daft is that?

However, glad I replaced it, I now love my servo.

Doug

As for emissions, my Vitesse is "Make No Smoke" My TR7 has to have a CO of less than 4.5%. I check this with a Gunsons gas analyser just before the MOT. I have carried this out for over 20 years with other Triumph's I have owned, 1500 Spit etc.

I always go for a garage where they have an interest in classic cars, the trouble is the older experience people are now retiring leaving less people with any real bench time.  

When the TR5 first came out the local, Tunbridge Wells, main Standard Triumph agent salesmen used to demonstrate them to the customer by driving full throttle up Frant Hill. If you were behind one the whole area smelt of petrol. I reckon if you were smoking a fag you would have gone up in flames. Make no smoke!

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

biggest problems with triumphs is not so much the smoke...its the drips of oil  ...just another environmental fail thats available now 

do we stand any hope ???

Pete

Pete, You are right. It's use a rag just before the MOT!

Dave