Blocked smiths heater

Tipidave

I am slowly making progress with a 1200 1965 herald that had been laid up for 9 years.... I have found that the hoses to the heater are blocked with a white paste and that a hose placed on both inlet and outlet pipe will not clear the matrix. I have never had to service a smiths heater. Any ideas on how to remove and clean valve and matrix? My assumption is that the white paste will be blocking everything up. 

My first thought was that if it's a mayonnaise-like substance, suspect a blown head gasket - check the inside of the oil filler cap too; but I've never seen any so bad that it actually blocked the hoses in the coolant system.

If it's a solid, powder-like substance then the alloy metal parts (thermostat housing, heater valve) may have corroded substantially and blocked the hoses, but it may be just a localised blockage. I'm assuming the car was left dry? Try working it out with a screwdriver or cane and see how far it goes. Hoses are easily replaced but if it comes down to it, so is a heater matrix or thermostat housing. You can try blowing it out with compressed air; if this causes any further damage then it's likely the system wouldn't have held water, either. Once you get a partial circulation throughout the entire system then add a radiator flusher and let that work. Plenty of flushing and backflushing in the reverse direction will clear many an obstruction.

I recently cleaned out the heater on my 13/60, it too was blocked with a white goo which I put down to scale. T flush mine out I removed the heater valve and connected a hose pipe directly to the inlet/outlet with another length of hosepipe on the other to drain any liquid to a bucket.

The mains water pressure was enough to clear out the heater matrix, after several flushes in both direction, getting rid of the old brown water that was 'sealed' in the heater. I fitted a new valve as the old one was completely blocked. Take care to make sure you refit the rubber 'o' ring with the valve.

I then took the opportunity to flush out the whole system using a commercial rad flush product as per instructions, keep the heater in the on position, refilled with the coolant mixture and hey presto! All good including a working heater.

Whilst a strip down of the valve and its diaphragm may not work and a new is best 

You can strip the valve , mark the position of the two halves,  drill put the locating rivet and rotate the halves to disengage 

Clean it all out and refit getting the two marks to align or the inlet wont point the roght way

Refit a rivet or small screw to  lock the halves from rotating 

You will likely find the bypass tube under the exhaust manofold to the pump is also blocked , 

Best cleaner is cheap simple washing soda crystals   run for a few days and give a serious flush out 

Be carefull with any compressed air if blocked you can exceed the capability of the matrix

Think you will find the white paste is crystalised antifreeze from ages past

Interesting as on Saturday i removed the water inlet on the pump housing next to the sender,fitting it to my new engine with an alloy housing,the pipe was 90% blocked by large flakes of rust leaving only a small hole for water.

Car never over heated though.

Steve

I understand that it is common for replacement valves to fail within a year. I bought one from the manufacturers (a northern engineering company. I imagine they supply all the trade) who suggested the valve is left in the open position when left on. I do this and open it up for a bit whenever I'm driving the car. The car is also used all year round regularly. Mine has been ok for over 4 years. Maybe I've just been lucky and it will fail now I've said this!.

Dave

Since fitting a new one to my car I have used the heater a couple of times just to try it, luckily the car is a convertible so the heat dissipates, I have also left in the 'on' position a couple of times between runs. I will leave it on during the winter when the car isn't used. I regularly start the car in winter just to turn the motor and dry it off.

Time will tell if the valve lasts, it looked fit for purpose.

I had dreadful problems with my heater, but that was mostly down to the 'mongrel' nature of the engine not having the correct plumbing connections, years of crud in the heater and an air lock in the pipes at the highest point. Sorted now thanks to contributors here (see help given in 'Nose to Tail' thread)

3 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I bought one from the manufacturers (a northern engineering company. I imagine they supply all the trade) who suggested the valve is left in the open position when left on.  

I never turn mine off; there's no point in a GT6 and besides it helps with cooling. Even in the Heralds (which are all Delaney Gallay units) leaving the heater on makes only a marginal difference to the cabin temperature unless the blower is turned on.

9 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

. Even in the Heralds (which are all Delaney Gallay units) leaving the heater on makes only a marginal difference to the cabin temperature unless the blower is turned on.

My 13/60 is fitted with a Smith's heater.

Yes the difference without the blower is not massive, more so in a convertible with the hood down. With the blower on and hood down & set to give hot air to feet there is a noticeable difference.

• 4 months later...

Just for a bit of an update... nothing would shift the hard powdery residue in the heater valve... not that is until a friend suggested soaking in Coca Cola ... so having tried lots of "solvents" in my ultra sonic bath...

may seem odd but where all else failed... it worked!!! 😀😀👍

That white stuff in the valve was probably aluminium oxide   - the valve is made in cast alloy.

Al2O3 reacts with weak organic acids, like citric or acetic acid (vinegar).    Coke cleans metals as it contains another such acid, phosphoric acid (it gives it its 'bite'!).    Phophoric acid is a useful final cleaner for rusted steel as the result is iron phosphate which is insoluble, and forms a hard coating on the metal that is a good basis for painting.     But care!  Phosphoric acid will dissolve aluminim too!

More solvents for Al2O3 are 'aromatic organic solvents.   Ethanol will work, but it must be more than 95%, and who would waste good whisky on it anyway?    Fiercer agents such as Xylene or Toluene will work too, but these are definitely TOXIC!

John

• 2 months later...

I use Citric acid in the water heater in my Motorhome, a couple of times a Year, (Hard Water area). That seems to keep it clean and working OK. Phosphoric acid was a "favourite" for cleaning Sea water distillation plants in marine environments back in the 60`s 70`s.

BTW. has anyone come up with a way to make the Heater (motor) into a 2 or 3 speed fan?.

Pete

57 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Doug had a nice brass valve in his pocket on twiddle day but we didnt discuss it ,

The valve can be stripped, but there are much simpler and easy use variants are available for cable pulled controlls

Black and white pic unfortunately, but shiny brass in real life. Very easy and smooth to operate unlike the thing it's shortly to replace. rlubikey from East Berks put me on to it, he has one on his Spitfire.

valve.PNG.a91781dcf1fad11d4b977d59a1b80c13.PNG

Doug

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hi

Can you post a Link?. I would be very interested.

The Binky Boys really went overboard on their in-cabin conditioning - full air con! - but you might not want to follow them all the way.    Even if you have the skills - I dont!

Starting about halfway through, after the power steering malarky.

And they used an MGZR fan.   See: http://www.badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/parts-and-materials/ (the BO Boys have some truely obsessive, not to say larger, fans!)

John

3 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Doug- I am interested in one too. I assume that it will fit my mkiv spit. Do you have a link please?

Hi BadWolf. I got mine from Amazon.com - Four Seasons 74648 Heater Valve. However, the threaded fitting is for GT6, TR6, or a Spit with 6-cylinders, where the valve threads straight on to the engine or the manifold via an adaptor. Your Spit will have a hose on both sides of the valve, and the valve is mounted on a bracket on the "shelf" at the back of the bonnet area. For you, your Spit would want an in-line version. Trouble is, I don't know which one you need as your Spit will be pull to close I think. Four Seasons Heater Valves 74677 Four Seasons Heater Valves 74678 Four Seasons Heater Valves 74685 Four Seasons Heater Valves 74764 Four Seasons Heater Valves 74827 and there are possibly others. One of the above are fitted to London Taxis so available this side of the pond. The other thing is, how are you going to mount it on the bracket? Or would you leave it just floating in front of the bulkhead?

On my one the hose size is 5/8ths, but you can persuade the 1/2" hose to fit! Also, because the cable pull was wrong for Spits (correct for GT6 & TR6, i.e. pull for open), I took my valve apart by lifting the tabs and turning the plate to face the other direction to make it pull to close. It was only later I found they do one like this which I could have bought instead!

Another place you can buy these sort of parts is RockAuto. The parts come from America, but if you chose their courier delivery, they will pay the VAT and save the UK delivery "Poll Tax". However, if you find the part on Amazon, it says they will deliver to "your address", which they know is UK, and they will pay the VAT. It took several tries, but eventually I got that system to work and it was cheaper than RockAuto.

Cheers, Richard