Changing gear box oil

Andrew

I've got a standard grease gun type. As long as I keep it vertical the oil doesn't leak out, it worked fine. A previous owner had used grease which the oil pushed out as there is a bit of pressure using a gun rather than filling drom an oil can, but oil can would be ok I think for a refill.

places like machine mart sell many oilers with pump squirt sqeeze ability a wide range of proces, 

club shop sell an oiler but to me itsa silly price

for many years ive used two Wanner guns  one i had a s a 21st present and the 2nd £8 at a boot sale so one is 53years old 

one for grease one from oil  neither leak if the sprung plunger is   locked off. 

trunions had  nipples fitted for life ,  luckily the 2000 doesnt need any oilers

Pete

2 hours ago, DanMi said:

I take the grease nipple out of the upright put somthing under the seal and just use a standard oil can no need for pressure gravity works just fine.

What's your oil can look like, DanMi?    My US friend says that your tecnique wouldn't work for him.      I just wonder if he greased them when he restored the car - he can't recall.     Then you would need the pressure of a gun, as Chris says.

J.

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Also use wanner grease guns for oil and grease, got this new old stock one of eBay, still got the co-op price sticker on it for £4.16.

Regards

Paul

Gun.jpg

Wow, a modern one if it was priced in Pounds and new pence 😁 Very similar to the types I have. One of which goes back to my motorcycling days decades & decades & decades ago 

I also just use a small generic pump type oil can with end of tube bent a bit to access the hole squarely and with the nipples removed and the top rubber trunnion seal opened up a bit with a screwdriver etc wedged upwards. I also jack the front of car of the ground to take the load off, though not sure this makes any difference as not tried it with car resting (will do next time).

Dave

Another twin Wanner user here! My Dad's one from the early 60s for grease and an autojumble purchased identical one for EP oil. No issues with leaks from the guns, but when I bought the car it only had the one grease nipple, so I bought another. The new one is a pig as it takes significant pressure to open - the original one is much easier and tends to get swapped between uprights. I don't fully jack the front of the car, but do take some of the load off. Made an oil catcher from a 4pt milk container!

Gully

I bought a standard grease gun, Halfords I think, it leaked oil every where.

So I bought the club shop oil gun, expensive then, but an eye watering price now. It’s Enormous! So big you can’t manoeuvre it onto the trunnion oil nipples. I had to buy a flexible spout for it to make it usable.

later I bought a Wanner off EBay only to find the internal plunger bits missing.

Not had a lot of luck with oil guns. ☹️

Doug

Twin Wanners here as well. Similar story to those already posted. Bought off fleabay, leaked, new rubbers fitted, perfect. No leaks, good pressure, messy to fill but good fun and you know they will last and last. Not like some of the rubbish on the market today. What does surprise me is that it is one of the few pieces of superb kit that can be picked up cheaply. Sellers don't know their true value to the classic car world, thankfully, but then, you buy them for life and don't need anymore. Sad to think that they are probably being chucked in garage clearances. What a waste!!

Doug - Can't find the details but I'm pretty sure that I got them from here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Pick-your-size-Solid-Neoprene-Rubber-Washer-1mm-thk-32mm-to-60mm-diameter/252188610348?hash=item3ab79ccf2c:m:mF7JbVcsHqSPDWuRXeGjSxQ

UPDATE - I have found three washers in my store marked Wanner grease/oil gun, which implies that I got a set of 5. They are External 4cm, Internal 3cm. Hope that this helps in some way. At £2.79 for 5, probably worth getting some or if you pm me your address I can send you a couple of mine.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...