Changing gear box oil

Andrew

Just a bit of advice please. Is it advisable  to change gear box oil and if so what intervals. Second is it just a case of draining the oil through the drain hole as per draining engine oil I presume there is nothing attached to the drain hole plug. Car is a herald 13/60

No interval given, on the basis the oil was for life. However, the life was not expected to be 10 years, let alone 50....

So a change will do absolutely no harm and will probably be a good move. Yes, drain via the drain plug, which if a hex head has a magnet attached, likely to have some swarf attached (normal)

Refill with 80/90 80-90 ep oil, of GL4 spec (NOT GL5) available all sorts of places (halfords, club shop etc etc)

15 hours ago, Chris A said:

A very nice looking example 👏 I love that version of the steering wheel and would love one for my 13/60

One on eBay at present, but not cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-herald-vitesse-steering-column-complete-kit-car/362498595066?hash=item54669998fa:g:qJ4AAOSw84ZcAVfS

Ignore THIS guy who has an over-inflated sense of value:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-VITESSE-HERALD-PARTS-VITESSE-STEERING-WHEEL-AND-COLUMN-OVERDRIVE/143060545934?hash=item214f12b18e:g:yMMAAOSw00ZZ4K9O

16 hours ago, Chris A said:

A very nice looking example 👏 I love that version of the steering wheel and would love one for my 13/60

Hello Chris

Is this the type you want? 

It is 15" diameter and about 4" offset

It is not in perfect condition as you can see but I expect a light rub down and repaint with a suitable paint would have looking like new

There are a couple of small cracks but nothing to worry about.

PM me with an offer if you want it(less than Fleabay ones)

Roger

DSC08327.JPG

DSC08328.JPG

DSC08329.JPG

On 31/12/2018 at 15:53, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Chris

Is this the type you want? 

It is 15" diameter and about 4" offset

It is not in perfect condition as you can see but I expect a light rub down and repaint with a suitable paint would have looking like new

There are a couple of small cracks but nothing to worry about.

PM me with an offer if you want it(less than Fleabay ones)

Roger

DSC08327.JPG

DSC08328.JPG

DSC08329.JPG

Hi Roger, I'll try and sent a PM

They had a lot of uses back in the day; the top one is from a Morris Minor and has different spacing on the spokes whilst the lower one is from an MGA and is a slightly different pattern, but along the same lines, and there are many other variations. I like the spacing of the spokes in Roger's version. You just need to find the correct size and fitting for the Triumph; I've no idea what size the Minor would have used so can't say if the Minor version - which is quite common - is a straight fit or not.

minor.jpg.b9c7b3d2fba21f5d1e286b2d81a71d54.jpg

wheel.jpg.dfa2fb292a711aa0098a359874f96eea.jpg 

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I like the spacing of the spokes in Roger's version. You just need to find the correct size and fitting for the Triumph;

Roger's photo is of the style fitted originally to (pre-facelift) Mk3 Spitfires. The Mk1 Vitesse and GT6 had the same but with a leather cover sewn round the rim. I think some versions (Mk2 GT6? Some markets?) actually used the same wheel but with soft plastic covers hiding the spokes. I can't find the definitive book at the moment.

Mk3 Spit definitely had, as I think did the TR4, the GT6 had originally a three-spoked 15" wheel with holes along the spokes rather than the 'banjo' type. I like this style of wheel but it's too big for my legs; I need a semi-dished 13" or else can't get into the driver's seat at all.

• 10 months later...

Hi, quick question about the oil for the gear box.  Mine is a 1976 1500 spitfire single rail with over drive.  The BL book says API-GL5 hypoid 90 with hypoid 80 only as top up.  Question is why do you say GL4 and specifically not GL5 ?

On 30/12/2018 at 16:22, clive said:

No interval given, on the basis the oil was for life. However, the life was not expected to be 10 years, let alone 50....

So a change will do absolutely no harm and will probably be a good move. Yes, drain via the drain plug, which if a hex head has a magnet attached, likely to have some swarf attached (normal)

Refill with 80/90 80-90 ep oil, of GL4 spec (NOT GL5) available all sorts of places (halfords, club shop etc etc)

GL5 spec oil in a gearbox is not a real problem - the problem comes from using it in a differential that has yellow metal parts.

Most, but not all, formulations of GL5 oil contain a high sulphur content, that under very high temperatures and shear loads becomes corrosive to yellow metals.

It's only in a differential that such temperatures and shear loads are present - in a normal gearbox application the conditions that make the oil corrosive to yellow metals is unlikely to arise.

Having said that, I think it is best to only keep GL4 spec oil in the garage just in case one puts GL5 in the diff by accident !

The Gearbox will be perfectly happy with GL5, but the diff wont.

Hi thanks very much, both.  Just looked at the BL book again and it says that for a full fill from drain down, 75W should be used.  Now I'm really confused :(

Ive fixed my leaks, i know these are old cars but being an engineer (thats when it took 5 years to become one, not like these days) I'm now trying to refill from empty.

Thanks.

makes economic sense to get just one  EP80/90  GL4  and use it in the gearbox diff and your front trunions

and if you have overdrive its fine on a EP 90oil   triumph small chassis gearboxes have a hard life and tooth loading demands a EP oil along with mainshaft tip failures they need all the help they can get from the lubrication spec.

Pete

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

Hi thanks very much, both.  Just looked at the BL book again and it says that for a full fill from drain down, 75W should be used.  Now I'm really confused :(

Ive fixed my leaks, i know these are old cars but being an engineer (thats when it took 5 years to become one, not like these days) I'm now trying to refill from empty.

Thanks.

As Pete says, there is absolutely no need to use anything other than a good ep 80/90 for everything. I, have been doing that for 30 years (yikes) as have many others. No need to get too hung up on what one manual says over another, go with what is proven to work and all will be well.

On trunnions, a friend in the US is very concerned about filling his with oil.     I use a simple piston grease gun, filled with Hypoid, and do so with very little mess, but he has not been as successful.    I've had mine for years, it looks just like this Sealey product.   

Image result for Sealey piston grease gun

What grease oil guns do others find are effective?    I'd like to be able to recommned on to my friend.

He has found this product:

trunnion-oiler

which seems to be the new trend, not a catrifge but a soft tube of lubricant.   Anyone else used one?

JOhn