Car purchase prices

iana

Im thinking of buying a second triumph, a spitfire for every day use, it will also be the car my wife would drive (the vitesse is too heavy).

The car will live outside so it gets used.

Ive seen a car advertised on ebay, its local to me so I am going to look at it over the weekend. Ive been checking what the prices are like as the vender is asking £3500,  its a MkIV 1300, MOT history looks good but the car needs some tidying. Gut feeling Id say the car is A2 which means against the TSSC agreed value schedule its too much, however asking prices seem to vary wildly.

Any advice on where to get a reliable guide.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valencia-Blue-1971-Triumph-Spitfire-1300/183962691431?hash=item2ad507e767:g:H6QAAOSwReJdg5S5

The TSSC valuation for my 72 MkIV 1300 overdrive Spitfire in A1/A2 condition is 5,500 but that is not the price I would expect to sell it for. I would realistically expect about 2,750 to 3,000. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Also bear in mind the cost of work and parts needed to bring it up to scratch and that if you sell it on, you won't recoup those costs (like a new hood).

I don't know what the grading system is but I'd be very suprised if that stated with an A. And if it did that wouldn't say much for the grading system imo.

Bearing in mind that sellers use the best pictures they can, it looks rough inside and out to me. And what you can see of the mechanicals looks long overdue some tlc too. At least an engine that rusty shows it doesn't chuck oil all over I suppose.  I don't follow prices for these but my gut feeling would be to offer 1,900 and not budge an inch. Even then I'd be crossing my fingers....2nd thoughts I don't think I'd bother.

I especially enjoyed the owner's request for "NO boy racers"... it's 1300 spit mate, I don't think they'll be fighting their way to Truro to have a go. 🙄

From a quick perusal of the photos it looks quite solid, and everything original is there and apparently ummolested. I'd ask the vendor for more photos, especially of the underside, but I've certainly seen a lot worse, and for a lot more money. It may need a bit of cosmetic work but a coat of paint on those engine components would improve things massively.

It's always a risk buying a car sight unseen especially from an online auction. The vendor here seems honest enough, but I do smile when you see lines like 'Not too bad for a 48 year old car'. I've seen 48 year old cars that look like they were built yesterday, so it means nothing to a car that has been properly maintained. You could take a chance on this one and be pleasantly surprised, but that's a matter for the buyer. I wonder where else it's advertised?

As for 'no boy racers'... these days it's more a case of young drivers buying a car like this and then adding so many modern parts to make it go faster that it ends up as a Spitfire-shaped modern, and loses all of its' charm. Again, that's up to the new owner.

I thought it looked fairly original, the hood needs replacing and in my mind that comes of the asking price, I’m planning to go and see it at the weekend but then I started scanning eBay etc to see what current prices are and that really throws up doubts on values, they’re all over the place. 

I’v seen a lot worse than that..... in fact i’v owned daily-drivers worse than that as well :)

agree with Pete... low £2’s.... anything in this condition and you can expect to shake out plenty of gremlins, but that is all part of the fun.

....... Andy 

Hi, I paid £3700 for this a couple of months ago. It looks great in the photo, but up close it's not perfect. It has a few issues as posted on this forum but it did have a lot of work done to it by the PO including a new hood and interior. I love my 'Nry and I am just about to start a complete strip down and respray, including a new biscuit interior.... It's the old saying, "it's only worth what you are prepared to pay for it".

For me, this was worth the money as I wanted to have something with a good solid base to start from so I could work on it over the winter to get it to how I want it. i would say if you're unsure and it doesn't melt your heart on first glance, walk away. There will be "The One" with your name on it.....

Charlie

1969712372_front34left.thumb.jpg.cf303459d391a15d41c4fe7c91754b99.jpg

• Like 1

So we’re all singing from the same song sheet the concours, A1 to A3 and shed definitions are on the site front page. Under “the club” tab, the last pdf in the list.

(I made the shed category up, although I’ve seen a few of those.)

Doug

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

So we’re all singing from the same song sheet the concours, A1 to A3 and shed definitions are on the site front page. Under “the club” tab, the last pdf in the list.

(I made the shed category up, although I’ve seen a few of those.)

Doug

https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/uploaded_files/ Insurance Panel Values .pdf

my shed category is called ‘basket case ‘

Paul 

8 hours ago, Tanky said:

For me, this was worth the money as I wanted to have something with a good solid base to start from so I could work on it over the winter to get it to how I want it.

That's the bottom line. A good solid car will be worth working on; anything else ends up a real money pit. I've had a few in my time... :)

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

I know of a better one locally to me ( but not Cornwall!) that is about £4K 

Is it advertised anywhere?

The one in Cornwall is local and the advert comes across honest and hes answered my queries - Ive had a quote for a new hood (I will never fit one myself again!) but Im unsure that the chap will lower the price to a more realistic value, there have been a few on ebay struggle to get to 3k and they look better in the photos.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

I wonder if that Valencia car is better than it looks in photos, does not seem to have been tarted up for sale.

I don't know why, maybe just a gut instinct, but I reckon it's very genuine. If I was in the market for one it would be a high contender.