Vitesse & Herald - Seat Replacement - MGF

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i used some 25mm spacers added to suit till the inner slide just cleared the tunnel carpet

if you need to tilt the back i can re post my backrest catch idea i used 

if you keep the orig runners then in a CV its easier to tilt the whole seat

cant do that in a saloon.  the headrest meetsthe roof 

Hi Pete, I'm not really bothered about tilting the seat as it's very rare that I use the back seat. Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow and I can get started 😊

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out the Suzuki seats in the Herald are useless, stupid air bag thing hits the door and they don't go back far enough for me to drive it in comfort, complete lack of mgf or mx5 seats available local & postage is crazy on eBay items.

Looking on Gumtree Sunday morning found some Cobra buckets from a classic Mini, only 25 miles away !

All fitted quite easy with some home made angle iron brackets & bolted to the original runners so they still tilt for rear access, also made a radio surround / bracket type thing faced with laminate flooring that matches the dash well.   

Cheers, Steve.

IMGP0130.thumb.JPG.516aa0b6630bf52a8ed45da9120f54f3.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the seats are in and we have just completed a very comfy 650 mile round trip to the Laon Historique. Thanks to all who contributed with photos/instructions and advice.... making this mod a doddle.  I am toying with the idea of getting the centre panels replaced to match the pattern on the orinal seats....but that can wait until the winter 

IMG_20220521_100027.jpg

• Like 2

Always found the original seats in my 2L Mk1 Vitesse very comfortable after I rebuit them, have to have them fully back in my convertible. Did try Vitesse saloon seats but they reduced the leg room and made driving very uncomfortable.

Regards

Paul.

From Memory, I think I put Dolomite? seats in the Vitesse. Back in the 80`s, they came with headrests I believe?. I know they where from a Triumph in a Scrapyard.

One of the "perks" of the job back then being the fact that most Scrappys, had Air compressors, and the vessels had to be examined every couple of years so I would have a scrounge whilst waiting for the owner to clean the inside of the pressure vessel!.

Pete

I replaced the foam in mine 13/60 driver's seat earlier this year, last Friday went for a run of 133 miles without any discomfort even taking into account I have quite a severe back problem - 1 missing disc, 1 damaged.

The only 'problem' was that the temperature was mid to high 30s and with the roof down the seat got 'warm'.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after modifying and fitting my MK2 MGF seats and using them for a month.  Including a very comfy 650 mile round trip to France.

Sods law says that a nice set of preferable (to me because they match the herald interior better) MK1 seats would come up on ebay.

Well, bugger it, I went and bought them and they are now fitted - well happy !!

photo 1.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

What are you going to do with the Mk2 seats now?. Hint hints nudge nudge :)

I'm keeping them for now because I'm using the headrests from them.  The MK1 headrests have the MG Logo on and I'm trying to source some that are plain.

• 1 year later...

Don't know about the Spitfire but front seat legroom in the Vitesse/Herald convertible is limited by the hood well which is why Triumph introduced different seats, during the run of the Mk1 2L, for saloon and convertible. Any alternative seats where the back is thicker or at a different angle could make them uncomfortable for the taller driver by reducing leg room.

In my Vitesse Mk1 2L I refurbished the seats, made a world of difference.

Regards

Paul.

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

as the seat foam basket sits lower into the floor well  on most spits   a alternative set may sit too high

worth a good look at before you swap 

pete

That's the conclusion I'm coming to, I got a set of fabric seats at next to nothing with the intention of recovering, I'm going to do the conversion to the fitting and see what they sit like, if they are to high then I'll move them on as already converted to fit Herald/Vittesse

4 hours ago, ahebron said:

68Vitesse what is the difference between saloon and convertible Vitesse seats?

Convertible seat backs are thinner and more rounded at the top allowing about an extra three inches of leg room. If you have a Vitesse 6 parts manual with the 2L supplement at the back the text and picture will detail the change.

If you look at Rimmer's website my believe is that what they list as Mk1 2L seats are convertible and the Mk2 2L are saloon, also fitted to early Mk1 2L convertibles.

As said my believe after looking at the original parts manual, others might disagree, also would not be surprised if some came out of the factory with the wrong seats fitted.

Regards

Paul.