Insurance Cover

SixasStandard

Hello All,

I am in the process of organizing insurance cover for the Vitesse 2 litre Mk1 that I'm picking up next week. On recommendation I've gone through Classicline, but just wanted to compare notes with existing owners on their experiences with actual policy providers (as opposed to the Broker themselves, such as Classicline). What companies provide the best service when the worst happens and a claim is actually necessary? Obviously we need to be cautious about negative comments, so perhaps just positive experiences with companies that have actually performed in a professional, timely, and ethical manner?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ian

Ian,

Club members get discounted insurance with the club approved insurers, details on the front page under benefits. Classic Line is one of them, I'm with Peter James. This has the advantage they will pay up to the Club Agreed value in the event of a write off. So agreed value is well worth getting.

Doug

4 hours ago, SixasStandard said:

Obviously we need to be cautious about negative comments

Hello Ian,

No we do not - provided your negative comment is backed by personal experience that relates specifically to the fact, then that is acceptable. If it is based on hearsay, perceived belief or presumption without fact then yes fully agree.

You say you are in the process of organising and then say you have gone with Classicline - which is it ?? Have you actually committed to an insurance cover ?? If so, is this not a bit of cart before the horse OR are you yet to sign on the dotted line ??

As you know, any individual who applies for whatever insurance will be assessed on their history and circumstance - it is difficult to say one company is great when it comes to coughing up when someone else may have had the opposite experience; no 2x claims are the same just as no 2x policies are the same.

As Doug has highlighted you have gone for a TSSC insurance panel member and that is a very important aspect especially where AIV is concerned. The TSSC panel companies are examined before being put out to members, as such I think it's safe to say that any on the panel will do their best for you.

I'm with PJ, only because for me on a personal basis they offered the best package having a multi policy with them; conversely another TSSC member may find them the least rewarding - it really is horses for courses.

You've done well with your choice, I'd be happy to leave it there or go with Peter James as an alternative.

Regards.

Richard.

Peter James here as well, three cars all with agreed value, breakdown cover (exellent) and no mileage limit all for well under £200 :)        I did call Classicline who were very helpfull, but could not offer me anything remotely close to Peter James.

Tony. 

I went with Classicline last year and nothing but problems . What the sales guy said and compared with the policy small print bared no resemblance . Supposed to get unlimited mileage but policy said 1500 , no salvage rights but rep said I had , took 3 goes to get policy sorted and done with side letters to the main policy , Cost was £89 , just received renewal at £95 and whilst they accept Club Valuation they now also want photos plus their valuation documentation to support. Needless to say not renewing with them , I did keep Angie informed 

Paul 

I have had a PJ multi-vehicle policy for my modern car and classics for about 10 years.

The premium is always competitive, though I've needed to claim twice. Once was an RTA which wasn't my fault (complete recovery made from the other party), and more recently a fire. On both occasions PJ were very helpful.

I'm a satisfied, long term customer.

Nigel

I am a PJ customer, I did try and use their multi-car option when I was making use of another vehicle, but PJ insisted that the second vehicle was registered in my name (it was my daughters) so I didn’t peruse that path. Very happy with Annual premium and cover provided.

i just get a couple of comparative quote each year to ensure they remain competitive.

....... Andy 

I was with FJ for many years, starting when it was owned by Peter James, good to deal with, then he sold it and I had a number of years of the premium doubling or more every year, having to ring up and get them to put it back down, and repeat following year.

Now with Peter James, and have a very "non-normal" policy. Multi-vehicle policy, 10 cars, newest is a 21 year old Discovery, 10 named drivers, unlimited mileage and Class1 business use. I expect next year's renewal to be about £750

Very good to deal with, admin fees a bit steep in my view, each time I make a change.

I can add some experiences here. 11 years ago I wrote off a spitfire, insured though Peter Taylor in Hove (chosen as they gave cover for road rallies included). The Broker was fabntastic, but the underwriters were problematic. I am local, and was present when the broker had a very uncomfortable phone call with the director of the underwriters. The underwriter would have been VERY uncomfortable, and things got sorted. 

Roll on 9 years and July 18 months ago we got rearended in a queue of traffic. Called Peter James, who were sympathetic, but passed on to teh claims handlers who were again an issue. All they wanted was for us to have a hire car. We refused, they implied we would lose our excess no matter what and teh claim would be difficult unless we complied. I was a little impolite, put the phone down and once home called the other parties insurance. Within 3 days a classic-friendly assessor visited, had a cuppa and agreed with my costings. A week later I had a cheque to cover all costs (helped by me being sensible about no hire cars, no extras, just cost of replacement panels/materials plus an allowance for 35 hours work. Took me a lot longer...)

But I still think Peter James as one of teh better insurers, they were apologetic about my experiences, and I expect I could have bypassed the claims company issues.

Just renewed my Vitesse insurance moving from Classic Line to Peter James - Classic Line quote was £95 but had serious admin issues plus they downgraded me from unlimited miles to 1500  miles pa plus wanted photos to support my valid TSSC Valuation .

Peter James £113 inc £10 one off for setup - unlimited mileage - 2 drivers , garaged overnight,  £100 excess,  UK & Euro recovery up to £3000,  TSSC value £10,000 accepted. Salvage rights option providing the salvage rights are declared at the outset of a potential  write off scenario . 

Paul 

• Like 1

That is very good Paul and certainly mirrors my current set-up with PJ inclusive of my 2x classics. The Vitesse and Daimler both have AIV, my premium is higher but I expected that of course due to the circumstances but it is still a great VFM, IMHO, and I have been with the company for many years now and to date cannot fault them.

I know the acid test is always a claim (or hopefully not) but you do not insure to make a claim you insure to cover the car(s).

Regards.

Richard.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my renewal notice from PJ and it had gone up (I’d expected a small decrease as it’s a renewal) so decided to get a quote from Classicline, the chap seemed knowledgeable and helpful, the quote is based of 5000 miles and the quote is nearly 30% cheaper than renewal. Looks like it will be a change. Are there any questions I would raise with CL before committing?

18 minutes ago, iana said:

Just had my renewal notice from PJ and it had gone up (I’d expected a small decrease as it’s a renewal) so decided to get a quote from Classicline, the chap seemed knowledgeable and helpful, the quote is based of 5000 miles and the quote is nearly 30% cheaper than renewal. Looks like it will be a change. Are there any questions I would raise with CL before committing?

I would recommend that you include an 'agreed value' policy clause, if not then if the worst happens you'll get 'market value' as defined by the Insurance Company at the time of settlement. No prizes for guessing how accurate that market value will be!!

Ian

31 minutes ago, iana said:

Classicline will accept TSSC valuations but asked me for supporting photos . Plus what was said over the phone didn’t materialise . Took ages and side letters to get right . Can’t  recommend them . Went to PJ at a higher price 

Paul  

all PJ are unlimited mileage , not important to some but PJ have very few restrictions imposed and if you have a modern with them that takes the main policy hit which

depends of all the values make the classic peanuts  my  fully comp unlimited free recovery and breakdown 2000 is around  £30 ontop of the Cactus130

its worth the ask 

pete

18 minutes ago, iana said:

I’m not sure I could link the policies on my modern and the vitesse as the renewal dates are 5 months apart.

When I took up the policy with PJ they said get in touch for a quote when our moderns are due for renewal 

Paul