E10 fuel on the way

Paul H

Greener fuel ( extract from BBC News)

20170411_BBCNews_spacer.png

A more eco-friendly petrol could be introduced to garages in the UK from next year. The government is consulting on making E10 - which contains less carbon and more ethanol than fuels currently on sale - the new standard grade. The Department for Transport says it could cut CO2 emissions by 750,000 tonnes per year, but E10 is not compatible with some older vehicles.

Paul 

In Devon and some other counties ALL petrol, even Super, contains 5% at the present time.  I understand it is not just hoses at risk but corrosion of metal fuel tanks and seams.  Hopefully the Federation of Historic Vehicles of which TSSC is a member club will be fighting this probably vainly on our behalf.

4 minutes ago, Sue Franklin said:

In Devon and some other counties ALL petrol, even Super, contains 5% at the present time.  I understand it is not just hoses at risk but corrosion of metal fuel tanks and seams.  Hopefully the Federation of Historic Vehicles of which TSSC is a member club will be fighting this probably vainly on our behalf.

That's the worrying bit for us - it eats petrol tanks, not just rubber hoses. Modern cars with plastic tanks are okay but ours are at risk.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

You could use the POR 15 kit and line the tank . I did mine 3 years ago , so far so good .

Well... I did mine and I've had no end of trouble with it. The lining formed a double (or more) skin, and it's peeling off in flakes and blocking the outlet. It's got to the point where I'm going to have to replace a perfectly serviceable tank just because of the effects of an "upgrade".

Just now, NonMember said:

Well... I did mine and I've had no end of trouble with it. The lining formed a double (or more) skin, and it's peeling off in flakes and blocking the outlet. It's got to the point where I'm going to have to replace a perfectly serviceable tank just because of the effects of an "upgrade".

POR 15 is a marmite product , for me it’s done me well and used in the engine bay and ancillaries. 
Paul 

I had no end of trouble with my Old TR with Ethanol in the Fuel degrading the rubber components of the Fuel system?

I did a bit of research at the time and sent out a few E-Mails, I was told by Esso, the Synergy Plus fuel sold in my area was Ethanol free, so that's what I use now.

As Pete states there is a good write up in the March Courier, I think it does state the areas where the Esso Synergy Plus may have Ethanol in it, Teeside was one I believe.

Here's a post from last July on the TR Register site on the Subject of Ethanol in fuel:

"Once again, I am asking for your assistance.  A posting I saw recently on this section informed us that Esso Synergie Supreme+ is free of the dreaded ethanol.  It also reported that this did not apply in Devon, Cornwall, Teesside & Scotland.  Having suffered damage to the seals in a metering unit and internal collapse of flexible fuel lines, I contacted ESSO filling stations in North Yorkshire. All are supplied from Teesside.  ESSO head office was the next call.  I have now phoned twice but no help has been forthcoming.  How difficult can it be to send a text, email or make a 2 min phone call to tell me where the nearest station with ethanol-free fuel is located?  Web searches have proved negative.  Can the TR Forum guys offer any guidance?

I am in North Yorks, 17 miles north of York and am prepared to travel into West or East Yorks to collect.  

I see that 10% of this chemical will soon be finding its way into our fuel.  The politician (I prefer the description "hypocrite") announcing this change said that vehicles built before the year 2000 should not be affected.  All the damage to my TR6's resulted from using fuel with only 5% ethanol.  I have always used an additive claiming to protect against this problem, along with seals and flexible fuel lines, all of which claimed to be ethanol tolerant.

Regards 

Gary

Searching out specific fuels at a reducing number of stations may work for some now but legislation may dictate ethanol either E5 or E10 in all fuels in the near future. Therefore an alternative has to be found and lining an old tank has as posted its own problems. If ethanol E10 is the only fuel available then it's tank change time as I for one don't fancy a boot full of petrol. 

Iain 

cant help but feel most rubber problems stem from crap material of unknown specification, rather than small % ethanol content ,

one good example ( dont cringe) my 2000 has what looks as original triumph spec 46year old  fuel hoses and i have run sainbugs 97ron e5 for all my years 

got some gates ready but she sits there happy with old hoses deigned for the purpose 

if i changed them 5 yr ago for the nasty black stuff with a hole up it it would have cracked up and gone soggy by now ,

so when i get a failure the  scare mongering myth will go with it    till then  .... smiles 

Pete

• Like 2

I too have bits of 50+ year old hose on some of my cars and no issues at all with it.

have had trouble with the 20 and 10 year old bits fitted to replace the "old" hoses.

those bits have now been replaced with new Ethanol proof stuff. Not that the previous stuff wasn't supposed to be safe