Viteese Mk1 2lt Gearbox cover

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I need to replace the cover on my Vitesse gearbox and I have seen various reports on this but I am confused as to which fits the best.

I have fitted one to my Spitfire 1500 but I can not remember who I bought it off.

So what is the general feelings on this Club shop? but it just says GT6, Herald and Spitfire ones?

Roger 

gt6 /vitesse use the same tunnel always confirm what model you need when ordering 

theres a post on here where  the gear lever aperture is misplaced  on a club shop part,  also labelled  as Moss 

i used a FG tunnel years ago as that was all you got, pretty nasty things   the abs are much better 

Pete

When you get your new gearbox cover you might want to consider installing an oil filler grommet and sound deadening as part of the project. I did this on my Mk1 Vitesse 2 Litre recently. My car has the ABS cover, and this proved very easy to cut in order to fit the grommet, but I'm not so sure it would have been quite so straight forward with a fibreglass cover. The grommet just makes it a lot easier if you want to top up your gearbox oil, meaning that it can be done from inside the car with just the gearbox carpet section removed. I suppose you could even go one step further and make an access flap in your carpet as well. The grommet is from a Land Rover and available quite cheaply on E-Bay, whilst the sound deadening I used was called Dodo Dead Mat, and is excellent stuff.........I ended up covering my car's bulkhead and the boot floor as well. The picture of the cover's interior showing the sound matting installed was taken before I installed the grommet, just in case you were wondering where it had gone! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334189-Land-Rover-Series-2-2a-3-Gearbox-tunnel-Access-Blanking-Rubber-Grommet/291551705317?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dodo-Dead-Mat-Hex-Sound-Deadening-12-Sheets-12sq-ft-Car-Vibration-Proofing/162733411046?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ian

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

gt6 /vitesse use the same tunnel always confirm what model you need when ordering 

theres a post on here where  the gear lever aperture is misplaced  on a club shop part,  also labelled  as Moss 

i used a FG tunnel years ago as that was all you got, pretty nasty things   the abs are much better 

Pete

Yes there is a difference between the GT6 and the Vitesse namely the gear-leaver hole. The GT6 type is being sold for the Vitesse by some suppliers.

I have raised it with club HQ and Bern is trying to source the correct type for the Vitesse.

Talk to the club.

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've been reading this as my last removal of the original cardboard version on the GT6 resulted in a lot of cracking and a few bits dropping off.

That one in Ian's post looks very flimsy? I've been using a really solid type on the Herald - it came off a Damson-coloured 1200 hence the overspray but is a very good fit and so thick (but light) that it deadens a lot of noise. You can see how thick it is around the end of the propshaft. It looks almost lined with some kind of spray-on foam. How does this compare with the fibreglass versions? It's up in the garage loft waiting for my Herald to be ready but I can take a few better photos if necessary.

400075807_dash-estcopy.jpg.a2b875c183ede94d7f0ce47ba3492021.jpg

On 09/08/2020 at 17:21, Colin Lindsay said:

That one in Ian's post looks very flimsy?

Colin, my gearbox cover may look flimsy in the photograph, but take my word for it........it really isn't!! As a plastic product it is also more flexible than fibreglass, making it easier to get a good fit when screwed down. I lined mine with Dodo Dead Mat, and would recommend using this or a comparable product like Silent Coat.

Ian 

10 hours ago, SixasStandard said:

Colin, my gearbox cover may look flimsy in the photograph, but take my word for it........it really isn't!! As a plastic product it is also more flexible than fibreglass, making it easier to get a good fit when screwed down. I lined mine with Dodo Dead Mat, and would recommend using this or a comparable product like Silent Coat.

Ian 

Totally agree with the comments about plastic vs GRP tunnels. I've got a plastic one in my GT6 and though it may look flimsy, it's flexible enough to fit easily and never seems too weak for the job once fitted.

By contrast, the GRP tunnel cover in my TR6 is hard, unforgiving and a pig to fit.

I would recommend the plastic type, with suitable heat and sound insulation fitted.

Nigel

I have a fibre glass one on my Mk2 and I’m not happy with it a mate and I shipped two from a reputable dealer in the UK 20 yrs ago and both needed a lot of work to get the flanges to align and sit flat. The gear selector hole was left blank and we were able to ensure they were located correctly and it is right back

I’ve seen the poly ones and Have one on the daughters Mk2 Spit I think there better but still need some fettling esp near the prop shaft end as stated they should be easier to align.

Well, that has been a strange time in the garage - the white gearbox tunnel in the photo above has gone completely, never to be found again... no idea where as it was only removed from that Herald in May, but the Gremlins must have it. I have managed to locate what looks like a Herald ABS version in grey, which has been lined with very heavy carpet but no heatproofing.

0A7A2828-C991-4669-B251-ED31AB070301_1_105_c.jpg.b8214f5372ac91b71de6e9a1fec1a935.jpg  90633C3F-8066-4282-8BB6-318179B025D8_1_105_c.jpg.7eac292f123ec6e9c425876674ceacc5.jpg

I've also found a number of original cardboard versions, but this one is strange - the first 3/4 from the propshaft end forwards is what looks like fibreglass, very thin but rigid, however the area around the tunnel flange at the bulkhead appears to be cardboard. Weird... it's not thick enough round the gearlever aperture to be coated card all the way along.

3875D77D-4E42-409D-8BD7-13FAA007DFD6_1_105_c.jpg.7ca5c1f4100c4606c0fcec52c7033206.jpg

I may therefore end up ordering one of the Club shop ABS versions for the GT6, but will heatproof it with DeadMat; any thoughts on additional sound insulation over and above that?

I had pondered that, Peter - although the one on the left in the photo has a large crack along the top edge of the tunnel bulge (just visible in the centre where I have black tape over it) the other one in the lower photo is actually quite good and might work with a coat of fibreglass. There has to be some kind of brush-on coating that will seal and strengthen it. I've already purchased new seals for when it gets to the fitting stage.

I was so dissapointed with the general fit of the Spitfire ABS one I purchased a few years ago that I sent it back; the gapping over the tunnel allowed a hand in up to the knuckles. 

So I set to to repair the existing one with a marine epoxy and woven matting repair kit sold for boat repair, I think Pete has mentioned using a similar item for body repair.

This allowed me to rebuild a missing piece round the gear lever and re-drill the gaiter ring fixing holes. I also reinforced the tunnel fixing holes and repaired the front bulkhead mating area where a heater matrix leak at some point had caused a right mess.

The end result is very strong and fits a treat and in the end much cheaper than new.

David

27 minutes ago, Mad4classics said:

So I set to to repair the existing one with a marine epoxy and woven matting repair kit sold for boat repair, I think Pete has mentioned using a similar item for body repair.

This allowed me to rebuild a missing piece round the gear lever and re-drill the gaiter ring fixing holes. I also reinforced the tunnel fixing holes and repaired the front bulkhead mating area where a heater matrix leak at some point had caused a right mess.

The end result is very strong and fits a treat and in the end much cheaper than new.

Ditto - well worth the effort and a very simple process IMHO.

Regards.

Richard.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Any particular type of 'I'm-not-sure-or-too-lazy-to-search-myself' brand you recommend? :)

I get the one I used from a local chandler.

If you search online for Blue Gee epoxy kit (there are different sizes depending how big your problem is) and Blue Gee woven fibreglass  fabric you'll find an online supplier or purhaps someone near you.

David

2 hours ago, Mad4classics said:

If you search online for Blue Gee epoxy kit (there are different sizes depending how big your problem is) and Blue Gee woven fibreglass  fabric you'll find an online supplier or purhaps someone near you.

David

Just had a look at that stuff on eBay, plus the different brand in Richard's link:

2 hours ago, classiclife said:

I may go for that one and try it; as usual I have a great mate who works in fibreglass and repairs parts such as my hardtop for the price of biccies, so I've never had to dabble with the stuff myself. I think it's time I learned the process! I'll update as things progress.

19 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I may go for that one and try it; as usual I have a great mate who works in fibreglass and repairs parts such as my hardtop for the price of biccies, so I've never had to dabble with the stuff myself. I think it's time I learned the process! I'll update as things progress.

It's straight forward Colin and you will have the knack within minutes.

My tip: do not try to over correct when placing the matting in situ and adding the resin, otherwise the matting will start to pull as it bonds; just dab the matting in to place with the brush.

Regards.

Richard. 

If you wet the surface with a dab of resin then place the woven mat in place, and as Richard says do not try and over correct or fiddle (only you will see it).  Better if you use acetone to clean it down beforehand and then use that to clean brushes, and your hands if you forget to use throw away gloves!

Dick