LED stop and tail light

Paul H

Big thumbs up to Classic Car LEDs. Bought their led stop and tail lights, but being a numpty purchased the 381 LED which have same level pins . My Vitesse needs bulb equivalent 380 which have stepped pins . Duncan accepted return and posted the correct leds with no extra postage charge . The new leds are approx 50% brighter and amp saving on the 50 yr old wiring .

Cost for 2 leds was £16 including postage .

I have also previously purchased their dash panel lights which are much brighter than the originals 

NB they have an on line pdf which shows the led equivalent bulbs for our cars . Pity I didn’t read it 😱

15B9CBC1-7305-4057-93BC-87CF1076DBDC.thumb.jpeg.9b61bcdbde784a19f163c535df96e075.jpeg

Paul 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

Big thumbs up to Classic Car LEDs. Bought their led stop and tail lights

Great post Paul, these will definitely be going on my car in due course. Extra visibility for tail and stop lights is a great upgrade for improving overall safety, and at the cost you have quoted it's a 'no brainer'.

Ian   

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

Big thumbs up to Classic Car LEDs.

I have done the same, Paul, for the Vitesse and Daimler - plus some additional LED lights for other requirements on the vehicles.

These are their best and brightest set of tail / stop LEDS:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/2-x-bay15d-red-stop-tail-led-2835-brake-rear-light-glb380-p21-5w?_pos=1&_sid=8690383c3&_ss=r&variant=40207426826

The light output increase is very significant and worth every penny of the swap-over.

Regards.

Richard.

Are those bulbs a direct plug and play, no additional components etc, is it worth dropping the fuse rating if led bulbs used? I’m just fitting a fog light on the rear so the car can be safely used over winter.

Hi,

I am not a fan of classic car LED's.
Limited specs or incorrect data on his site.
Expensive for lights available elsewhere.

There is a lot of overpriced/overspeced crap out there.

Happy you have found a superior to OEM, LED brake light. A lot of bright ones have no contrast.

Cheers,

Iain.

12 minutes ago, iana said:

Are those bulbs a direct plug and play, no additional components etc, is it worth dropping the fuse rating if led bulbs used?

Hello Iana,

Simple straight swap.

Regards.

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, PaulBSpit1500 said:

There seems to be some debate on the WWW as to the legality  of fitting LEDs to cars  not originally fitted with LEDs. Discuss.

I have used for over ten years. Only ever had a problem with kak H1 headlamps on a modern. I am sorry.
Some LED car lamps are Kak.

38 minutes ago, PaulBSpit1500 said:

There seems to be some debate on the WWW as to the legality  of fitting LEDs to cars  not originally fitted with LEDs. Discuss.

If the car was required to have "E" marked lights, the bulbs must also be "E" marked, and most LED bulbs are not "E" marked and therefore not legal.

Most, but not all Triumphs predate the requirement to use "E" marked lights. 

E marked bulbs  reminds me of the computer that measured every electric use on a truck at end of the assy line , this had to be loaded with the voltage and current used by

what you where checking  E marked bulbs had such an awful range of resistance and current consumption it was nearly impossible to get a stable specification to measure

earlier produced   UK   were far more stable .

pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

earlier produced   UK   were far more stable .

It's actually common - if you are never told how accurate you need to be then you tend to build your factory to be pretty consistent, and sell on quality, unless you're an emerging economy trying to under-cut everyone on price. Once somebody tells you exactly how sloppy you're allowed to be, then you only build to that level of consistency - what's the point in being better than you need to? Exceeding the standard won't help you sell if all the customers just look for that marking.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2020 at 18:00, iana said:

Are those bulbs a direct plug and play, no additional components etc, is it worth dropping the fuse rating if led bulbs used? I’m just fitting a fog light on the rear so the car can be safely used over winter.

Which car do you have?

You can buy a "dual-filament " led bulb, that is used in a reversing light fitting (I presume you have to swap the bulb-holder itself) that uses white for reverse light, but has a red for fog-light use. Seems to be a clever and neat idea.

Just now, clive said:

Seems to be a clever and neat idea.

So you can reverse in fog? I'm wondering how you turn it on for driving forward?

I have a LED bulb with an audible buzzer than you can use as a reversing light, when you move into reverse the buzzer sounds to warn anyone behind you. Never tried it yet.

reverse.jpg.b45baaa91b9b5d2206ccc0363ba8a7b6.jpg

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

So you can reverse in fog? I'm wondering how you turn it on for driving forward?

I have a LED bulb with an audible buzzer than you can use as a reversing light, when you move into reverse the buzzer sounds to warn anyone behind you. Never tried it yet.

reverse.jpg.b45baaa91b9b5d2206ccc0363ba8a7b6.jpg

Hmm, you will of course need a fog light switch to feed the red "filament"while the existing reverse light switch will feed the white one.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/bay15d-1157-red-and-white-stop-reverse-fog-combined-led-glb380-llb380-380

BAY15D 1157 RED AND WHITE STOP / REVERSE / FOG COMBINED LED GLB380 LLB380 380

(of course, Colin may have been exercising his sense of humour. Sometimes it is difficult to tell)

2 hours ago, clive said:

(of course, Colin may have been exercising his sense of humour. Sometimes it is difficult to tell)

Lol yes was being slightly... mischievous... :)... but it was cloaking a serious question: if you replace a white reversing light with a red fog light, then you'll obviously have to wire it in to a different circuit and run extra wiring to the reversing light unit to power the additional circuit. I can see it being easier on some cars, than others. It's do-able, but just seemed like a lot of bother.

PS I only get grumpy when called an Irishman.

https://www.theulsterscots.com

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Lol yes was being slightly... mischievous... :)... but it was cloaking a serious question: if you replace a white reversing light with a red fog light, then you'll obviously have to wire it in to a different circuit and run extra wiring to the reversing light unit to power the additional circuit. I can see it being easier on some cars, than others. It's do-able, but just seemed like a lot of bother.

PS I only get grumpy when called an Irishman.

https://www.theulsterscots.com

Butit is a handy idea as you don't need to add a foglamp unit screwed to the back of the car. That will appeal. So no extra lamp, but you will need to change the bulbholder. Otherwise it is the same as adding a foglight in the normal way. Sadly nobody has come up with wireless controls (though you can get remote lifgt switches for your house, handy as it means you can add switches without any additional wires/cutting walls and filling etc. No idea how long the battery lasts though.

6 minutes ago, clive said:

But it is a handy idea as you don't need to add a foglamp unit screwed to the back of the car. That will appeal.

Very true! I can picture it now as Ian says so yes, a nice concept. Worth the extra effort... surely someone makes remote switches for cars? Must go search...

On 06/07/2020 at 14:57, Paul H said:

Big thumbs up to Classic Car LEDs. Bought their led stop and tail lights, but being a numpty purchased the 381 LED which have same level pins . My Vitesse needs bulb equivalent 380 which have stepped pins . Duncan accepted return and posted the correct leds with no extra postage charge . The new leds are approx 50% brighter and amp saving on the 50 yr old wiring .

Cost for 2 leds was £16 including postage .

I have also previously purchased their dash panel lights which are much brighter than the originals 

NB they have an on line pdf which shows the led equivalent bulbs for our cars . Pity I didn’t read it 😱

15B9CBC1-7305-4057-93BC-87CF1076DBDC.thumb.jpeg.9b61bcdbde784a19f163c535df96e075.jpeg

Paul 

Paul, dont`t want to hog your TSSC club, but after reading your original post I purchased these high intensity tail/stop LED`s for my TR6, and what an improvement.

Also two white LED`s for the front white running lights, which are nearly as good as my main front sidelights. Looks likely I will consider replacing the remaining "candles" !!

Colin.