The bottom nyloc nut securing one of the Koni's on the rear of my car seems to have stripped its thread, or the bolt thread has stripped, I can't tell yet.  Do I ned one of those nut cracker things or is there a trick to getting it to grip enough to come off?

IMG_5592.JPG

Don't damage the thread! The nut's a lot cheaper and will probably have to be cut off, if it won't unwind by itself. Try a screwdriver between those two washers as you unwind the nut, and lever the nut outwards as you do so, it may just force it off as it rotates or help it bite cleaner thread.

Tried levering - will do so again but I'm so ham fisted.  I think I'll leave it until it's ready to go for it's MOT (paint shop says they are starting the bonnet but no idea when the body will be finished though) and get them to do that and check for my other bodges as part of a safety check ahead of the MOT. 

4 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Would an impact wrench work ?

Paul 

No; it will just spin the nut around and maybe cause damage due to the speed. The nut needs to be unwound but also prised / pulled outwards on the remains of the threads. 

That's why I was suggesting a screwdriver in between those two washers; hammer it in if necessary to get it started but the outwards pressure may push the nut off the damaged section. A twisting motion of the screwdriver as you unwind the nut will also put outwards-pressure on it. The aim is to remove the nut but not damage anything else, as a replacement link costs quite a bit these days.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The aim is to remove the nut but not damage anything else, as a replacement link costs quite a bit these days.

Yeah, that horrible moment you realise the tread on the upright is knackered and it's not a bolt you can replace!

Is it the nut turning or the Bolt ?  An open end spanner will show you what's turning - just the nut or the nut and the bolt. 

If it's the nut then you have plenty of access to use a hacksaw a 45 degrees to the nut and to cut it part way down (to just before the stud's thread, so as to not damage it) And then a hammer and cold chisel into the cut,  to crack the nut open enough to work it off  ..so all in all just a few more minutes task. 

Pete.

• Like 1

It's the nut turning.  But I have no idea of the condition of the thread underneath although the tiny bit I can see looks viable.  It's not loose laterally, as Pete says.  I might put this in the "waiting - too difficult" tray on my desk and ponder - and have another fiddle soon with the screw drivers and possibly my junior hacksaw.

If the nut is turning, but not biting the threads then what's holding it on? Nowt. Pull or prise it straight off. If it's held on by some threads, then it needs to be prised to a spot where the threads will get a better bite. It's not a big job. Go remove it, young man, and get a large pat on the back from all of us when it's done.

I wonder if a ball joint tapered breaker could exert enough pressure to push the Nut back to engage a thread.

Personally I’d use a used smaller dia Dremel cut off Disc to cut thro the nut As best I could The washers are replaceable.

Go on cut the nut off, you know you want to do it.

Once you have sorted it you will feel a sense of satisfaction.

If you want to replace the suspension arm, talk to Spitfire Graveyard.

That if you do not wish to recut the threads as Pete L suggested.

Graham