Correct tyre pressures

Hi. Had new Falcons fitted on Vitesse and the fitter put 22 front/26 rear. (he showed me me an info sheet, for that type of radial).

This seemed a bit low maybe?. I mainly do Motorway/A road driving and more concerned with wear, than any precise handling stuff.

I imagine this is a bit subjective, though what are your thoughts please?.

Cheers, Dave

Hello Dave,

I use either 24F / 26R or 25F / 27R on my Vitesse which has 165/70/13 tyres.

These pressures seem to suit the car well and handles nicely with comfort thrown in.

Hope that helps ??

Regards.

Richard.

I've posted this before regarding the same sort of query but my local Tyre Fitter tells me that modern tyres are a different product to those of the 1960s, and recommends all of mine should be inflated to around 30. I run the steel-wheeled GT6 at that pressure with no problems.

When I owned my first Vitesse, back in the late 1980s, I tried running it at the book pressures of 22F/26R and found it horrid. I then tried bumping the pressures up until it felt "right" to me, both in ride and handling. That turned out to be 30 all round. I generally stick with that on all my Triumphs now.

Yes, modern tyres ain’t olden time tyres and on these cars the tyres are much more  part of the suspension. So you have to get the balance between tyre on the road vs ride comfort and steering. On my GT6 I’ve tried 30 all round but that was a bit “bouncy”. 30 & 26 works for me which actually maintains the rear/front differential of the originals.

Doug

On 14/07/2020 at 15:13, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, modern tyres ain’t olden time tyres and on these cars the tyres are much more  part of the suspension. So you have to get the balance between tyre on the road vs ride comfort and steering. On my GT6 I’ve tried 30 all round but that was a bit “bouncy”. 30 & 26 works for me which actually maintains the rear/front differential of the originals.

Doug

Just fitted new 155/80 on Mk3 GT6 to stay "original"....d'ya mean 30R/26F. Took a punt at 28 all round but knew it might need tweaked.

Slightly off topic, but still t,dee wid tyre pressures

Any one got a PCL type pro tyre inflator,

an it aint reading correctly, as mine started t,de

solutionee, adjust it,

PCL say there ne adjustments, nor doo they support bits for 1,2,3 types

tek the end off, rubber end comes off after 2 wee screws undun either side, pull off

unscrew the 2 screws either side  an just above of the air inlet

this will let the innards drop oot, catch it in yer hand,or onto a rag

look at it, an ye will see a threaded bit, wid 2 lock nuts

If its read,n too low, then turn the end bit into the nuts, IE mek,n the end bit shorter.

high, its other way

mine was 6 psi , so this took nearly a full turn on adjuster

tested agenst 2 well known gauges,

one digi, other mechanical

noo all three say same,

meb,e of some use t,some.

M

• Like 1

Wish you'd posted that a few months back; my old gauge was reading 10 psi at rest on the bench so I binned it after a quick stripdown just to see what it looked like inside. I suddenly realised I'd bought one of the Michelin digital gauges way back which was zipped up in a case on the shelf in front of me, and had completely forgotten about it, so have been using that ever since. I'd have liked a shot at adjusting the other, if I hadn't been so hasty...

mmt-12279_w_ml.jpg.86a2307c815cd92277a56dcc55af00ee.jpg

I got the Lidl tyre inflator a couple of months ago. Brilliant gadget. Runs off my drill battery. Stops at a pre-set pressure. Gives you a running total of what the pressure is as you go. Came with another toy for inflating...inflatables... nothing in the house to try that out on.

On 16/07/2020 at 21:03, Nick Jones said:

30 front, 26 rear with 175/70s.

Nick, I'll try that as I have 175/60s. My rear end always feels a bit stiff I thought it was just my age! 

My boring modern car is the other way round 2.2bar front and 2.4bar rear.

Iain