To Polybush or not to Polybush

I'm going to be stripping out the half shafts over the winter to replace the UJ's it is sensible to change all the suspension bushes whilst it is all apart, I'm not particularly after a firmer ride but are Blue Polybushes worth it, i.e. in terms of longevity and or ride quality and is the ride much firmer than the standard rubber bushes.

I also read about them squeeking is this true or a myth?

Changed every bush I could, apart from front and rear trunnion, to super flex a few years ago, they do not squeak, ride is comfortable. Got them from Chris. Witor who told me superflex use different hardness depending where the bush is fitted on the car unlike some.

The modern rubber bushes never seemed to last, car Mk1 2L Vitesse.

Could do with some quality engine mounts.

Regards

Paul

I  bought new shockers from the club shop, front came with rubber bushes, rear with poly. The rear squeaked for a couple of hundred miles. Not a great problem, but I was pleased when it stopped.

Should other bushes start to deteriorate I will replace with poly, mainly because I'm suspicious of rubber quality these days.

Doug

My Dolomite is polybushed  and yes the bloody thing sqeaks for about the first mile and then it settles down. I don't know what make they are (yellowy orange colour) it also has a very firm ride. They done before i bought the car about 6yrs ago and it's still the same.

Tony. 

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Changed every bush I could, apart from front and rear trunnion, to super flex a few years ago, they do not squeak, ride is comfortable. Got them from Chris. Witor who told me superflex use different hardness depending where the bush is fitted on the car unlike some.

The modern rubber bushes never seemed to last, car Mk1 2L Vitesse.

Could do with some quality engine mounts.

Regards

Paul

+1 for SuperFlex from Chris Witor.

Not the cheapest but they are comfortable, don't squeak and seem to last well.

Beware of cheap bushes online, where quality and hardness are unknowns.

Nigel

Mmmm, just following this thread the PO of my Vitesse (via huge gulp of air Jigsaw) fitted red poly bushes to the roll bar. The front end creaks like anything, at low speed it's quite annoying. Is this common with reds? Plus it's bloody hard! 

Iain 

if you look on supa flex you see red is good bit harder than blue

but a antiroll wont affect ride much but it has to pivot with undulations , most supaflex come with a paste type lubricant 

another silly cant find it squeaks is the front shocker  shaft is not centralised by its bush and the shaft rubs the top plate hole , took me a year to find it 

there doesnt seem any reason why you cant lubricate poly bushes , if they are dry and squeaky

pete

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

if you look on supa flex you see red is good bit harder than blue

I thought genuine Superflex are all the same colour, black.

Polybush (that's a brand, not a generic name) offer softer bushes in blue for road use, and harder red bushes for track.

Nigel

52 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

They do yellow ones?!! Now I'm interested! 

Doug

I've been using them for over 20 years; yellow for the suspension wishbones, red for radius arms, blue on the diff and orange on the anti-roll bar and steering rack. Just a totally multi-cultural Triumph!

photo3.jpg.96a3f4ea18d156a52c3e7b7fdc858d09.jpg photo2.jpg.b702b9901f6e5827745a7ec90f6248a3.jpg

16 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

there doesnt seem any reason why you cant lubricate poly bushes , if they are dry and squeaky

I'll oil the bushes and see if it stops the creaking. 

Another item to put on my twiddlin' list! 

Lowering the rear tyre pressures from 28 to 26 (as recommended by Nick in another thread) made a surprising big difference to my overly stiff rear end. 

Iain 

56 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

trouble is the bushes are supposed to ...GRIP   so the wind up with motion, , but when the squeak is more of a problem than any grip you did'nt know you had 

its goodbye  squeak 

pete

I thought the rubber "metalastic" bushes worked by the motion twisting the rubber (hence the need to not tighten anything until in running position, so the bushes are unstressed most of the time)

However, the poly type are more like a bush, with the inner metal sleeve rotating freely within the actual bush. And that means you can tighten bushes fully while the cars are still in the air. Quite handy.

Well, that is my take on things.

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

its too hot 

Come the Autumn boogie on down to B&Q and get and end of the line discounted aircon unit. Got mine 15 years a go, £400 down to £250. Turns my lounge into an igloo in about 15 mins. Had lots of visitors this week, they don’t say much, just sit.

Doug

We’ve got 4 AirCons in the house here the biggest is around 8kw and copes easily in the family kitchen to about 43C then we have to be careful closing shutters To keep the sun off the windows etc mind you it’s cooling an area 30 by 23feet it Can also heat if the ducted Gas fails. The main bedroom has 4kw and can freeze your b@@@@s off.

Interestingly the reverse Cycle heating function is cheaper than using gas but doesn’t do the whole house.

good to see your getting some good summer weather when I lived there I reckon I had the conv roof down more in winter When dry and frosty
Try driving a conv Here at 40c not pleasant at all, most put the hood up and windows down and rear window zipped open