New GT6 MK2 Purchase - The journey of improving it further!

avivalasvegas

Good magnetic drain plugs are easy. One that fits your car...now that's interesting. There are numerous posts about them on here. Best try the search routine. Sloping sides, parallel sides, square head, hex head, bent head (in my case), copper washer, fleabay, usual suspects, it's all here somewhere. Good luck

3 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

not sure where this tangent came from

It came from Pete's post that the overdrive was originally designed to run on engine oil, but not feasible in our cars due to commonality of gearbox and overdrive oil.

I'm sure Smith & Allen is fine, I use Castrol EP90 GL4.

if you happen to have Overdrive the pumped  oil is coarse filtered and passes over 3 magnetic giant rings in the filter housing  so over a short time all the oil will follow this route 

having a mag drain and filer plugs is not a bad thing then out pops the old well its worked ok and only lasted 

fifty years its a bit late to start a worry class now  

its preference thingy not to loose sleep over 

Pete

On 25/04/2021 at 12:31, avivalasvegas said:

I don't intend on using engine oil outside of my engine- not sure where this tangent came from but it'll likely be Dale's Smith & Allen gear oil or a Millers product. 

Anyone know of a good magnetic sump drain plug?

Most triumph gearboxes have them. Easy to identify, they have a hex head (where the std non-magnetic filler type have a square head)

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Sadly, not necessarily so! You can get original square-head versions - I bought two of these last year.

s-l1600-65.jpg.833b7fc520552dd5c454738a6b0ec565.jpg

Doh! Never seen that variety. Any idea where they come from? Thinking very early cars? Hex ones are nice though, you can use a proper spanner with no danger of slippage.

The best way to find out that you have the wrong sump plug is to drain the sump and fit the new one. Simples you might say, blindingly obvious, yes, but when, like me, your old plug is in such a battered state that the only way you can get it out is to use mole grips and butcher it some more, thinking, it's ok, I'm putting a brand new shiney magnetic one in, that the seller says fits your model.....and it doesn't, it's a little annoying to have to try to get the old one back in and seal. You then have to wait for the next oil change (or carefully drain the brand new expensive oil and muck about eventually getting it back in the engine) in the hope that this time you have got it right, can get the old one out again without damage, and, of course, be prepared to get the old one to fit again...if it still goes wrong...again. Cynical, yes, happened to me?? Certainly did. Happen again?? Can't wait to find out, well, yes , I can actually.

• Like 1

On the GT6 and Vitesse, there is very little clearance between the chassis and the drain plug head, so a spanner is "always" required.

For the Spitfire and Herald, you can use an 8 point (or double square) socket in a 1/2" or 3/8" breaker bar - works every time.

For the GT6 I use a laser cut square end spanner that was designed specifically for the job, never failed. but could have done with having a longer / stronger handle (I bought it off Ebay, not seen them for sale recently)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice!

Mine’s playing up, needle sticks! :angry:

You have to get a feed from the manifold vacuum. I have a servo fitted as standard so I put in a T piece joint in it’s vacuum feed.

MK2’s you could get a servo as an extra so even if you don’t have one you should have a feed blocked off on the manifold.

Doug

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Few developments today:

1) It would appear a previous owner had installed magnetic drain plugs in the gearbox and motor. Fortunately, the metal Christmas tree did not reappear. The transmission does not appear to be deteriorating.

2) Switching to Redline MT90 has led to noticeably smoother gear shifting, even when compared to the recently changed conventional fluid.  Differential fluid change pending. 

3)  Compression test yielded a positive result. Completing the auto-rx additive treatment should result in a further improvement.

1. 142
  2. 140
  3. 135
  4. 140
  5. 135
  6. 137

01D2004E-03DA-4751-A125-B56C0A35BEF1.jpeg

3BD7C7F7-093D-4F89-8621-D88F6E4A0D77.jpeg

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats if it clears the GT6 bonnet   alloy covers that are not reduced height at the front tend to ding the bonnet 

Pete

We compared it to the existing cover and it is a couple mm shorter so I’m not terribly worried about the bonnet. It will go on the car in the next week or two which is when we’ll find out