New GT6 MK2 Purchase - The journey of improving it further!

avivalasvegas

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Agree with Pete - be very very careful on lowering the bonnet. The original SAH rockers were chamfered at each end - see photo - and with a square ended version they may fit the big saloons or Vitesse but be tight in the GT6.

SAHrocker.JPG.8c00f9b3c99519a5d1c4597ef1432214.JPG

Here’s a side by side from the seller. The tallest point of the Triumphtune cover is level with the lowest point of the SAH. I’m confident it will fit but will be careful

7D9805A5-F54A-4E32-883C-F0372715DE9E.jpeg

It's only the MK3 that has the problem, most ads say "fits straight 6 but NOT GT6 mk3"

Some grind the fins off the front to get clearance on the standard box, but it doesn't give you much. 

Andy Cook has a nice chamfered one, I'm just waiting till his back is turned :ph34r:

Doug

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

It's only the MK3 that has the problem, most ads say "fits straight 6 but NOT GT6 mk3"

Some grind the fins off the front to get clearance on the standard box, but it doesn't give you much. 

Andy Cook has a nice chamfered one, I'm just waiting till his back is turned :ph34r:

Doug

Do you have any of those ads? Would love to have a look!

• 2 weeks later...

It fits beautifully. No clearance issue whatsoever. Also, the new W78 plugs are in and the car runs lovely. Sailed through its MOT without issue. 

Next on the list is a new valve cover seal and a set of Magnecor performance plugs leads (the pictured Club shop leads are the resistance type). 

IMG_1548.JPG

Park Lane Classics seat foams installed today. What a difference it has made to the harshness over London's roads. I'd share a picture but the leather seat covers have stretched over time and don't look much different to when the foams had perished and disintegrated. Still very usable though.

• 4 months later...

After stalling in the Rotherhithe tunnel not once but twice, the following reliability/ cosmetic enhancers were completed today:

- New TRW Clutch Master cylinder and copper pipe (Girling NOS sourced from Dave Kingerly @ Longbridge last year binned)

- New fuel hoses from tank to carb

- New Silicone (OE style) coolant hoses

- New Heater valve and Valve cover gasket

- Knee pads (missing since my purchase) + Smiths black surround gauges (inspired by Mr. Triumph Mr Clark himself)

- Gear boot metal surround

- New Magnecor plug leads

Let’s hope this marks the end of all preventable misadventures! 

34F5D23D-12F4-4338-B3E4-58170D092FBD.jpeg

CE7111C2-A53F-4CF3-80FF-BF153EAD0F53.jpeg

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Well done, some great upgrades. But, it never ends, there's always something. :lol:

Doug

Cheers! One can dream….

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i little puzzled   out of the list of changes  what was the cause of it tunnel stalling  as none have much to do with 

that problem .....

Pete

Fuel line rubber sliver blocked carb. Loss of coolant the other time! 

2 hours ago, clive said:

What is the pressure gauge for?

Oil (Decoration) mostly! 

On 27/01/2022 at 18:52, avivalasvegas said:

It fits beautifully. No clearance issue whatsoever.

The PO of my GT6 had one of these fitted and there is clear evidence of rubbing as shewn in these photographs. Picture 1 shews the small dent in the bonnet. Picture 2 shows where that dent is and picture 3 shows the Triumph Tune rocker box cover with its rubbed corner. As you can see, I reverted to a standard RBC.

IMG_20220603_114258326.jpg

IMG_20220603_114303930.jpg

IMG_20220603_114314043.jpg

Next reliability upgrades planned is the Canley Classics "trunionless" conversion kit. No warning signs just yet but I have heard horror stories of failure and lots of positive feedback on the kit.

Jury is still out on the alloy stub and hub front axle kit kit which claims to make bearing care easier. 

Any experience with these?

1 hour ago, avivalasvegas said:

Next reliability upgrades planned is the Canley Classics "trunionless" conversion kit. No warning signs just yet but I have heard horror stories of failure and lots of positive feedback on the kit.

Jury is still out on the alloy stub and hub front axle kit kit which claims to make bearing care easier. 

Any experience with these?

I would not bother with the alloy hubs, I suspect they are fine for racing, but are not likely to last longer term. 

Honestly, stick with the std steel hubs and Timkin bearings. I am not sure if Mr Shackford still sells his bearing spacer kit, but that helps keep the bearings nice and rigid. I really ought to have bought a kit a few years ago. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, clive said:

I would not bother with the alloy hubs, I suspect they are fine for racing, but are not likely to last longer term. 

Honestly, stick with the std steel hubs and Timkin bearings. I am not sure if Mr Shackford still sells his bearing spacer kit, but that helps keep the bearings nice and rigid. I really ought to have bought a kit a few years ago. 

Is this EBay item the spacers you are referring to 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143226142059?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=E1AMaQuhQeu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=WOrzrqDcRZu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Paul