Triumph Spitfire Hydraulic Boot Lift Kit

hardhatharry

Got one of the TSSC boot kits on my MkIV from back when they first came out.  Never given me any issues and still working today.  Only 'issue' I did have was that it put a slight side loading on the boot, so the lid didn't align after just swapping standard->hydraulic.  Simple to sort with a bit of hinge fertling, just remember to fix and then carefully close checking the gaps first time rather than just slamming it closed!

2 hours ago, hardhatharry said:

Its a bit blurry

Yeah it's a picture of a picture on an article I wrote in Club Torque. But you can see the bracket is pop riveted into the bracing of the boot on the other side of the original bracket and sandwiched together by the strut. I didn't want to weld it. 

Danny

On 20/12/2020 at 17:29, Casper said:

Hello All

I assume the club on is 190n which is a lot less!

These people do this one which looks about right?

I do not want the lid to open like a modern particularly just to stay open when lifted and I do not have a boot rack(I do not like then!)

Plus I would be worried how much strain it putting on the hinge and the lock!

UNIVERSAL GAS STRUT SPRING 550MM 200N BOOT BONNET FOR MULTI PURPOSE | eBay

Roger

Hello All

I have ordered a 500mm 200n gas strut.

I did not use the site that John suggested but did it scientifically !

Put the bathroom scales on the boot edge and weighed the boot lid at rest and it was 10 to 12Kg

So a 200 should hold it up ok and not put to much stain on the hinge or bracket I hope.

Plus I do not fancy the idea of the boot lid popping up as we go along if not latched properly.

If I want it to open on its own I would fit brackets on the other side and use 2 weaker gas struts to save the twist affect! 

UNIVERSAL GAS STRUT SPRING 500MM 200N BOOT BONNET FOR MULTI PURPOSE | eBay

Roger

The Freelander has two hydraulic struts on the bonnet, no stay rod. It goes up, it stays up. Tr7 was the same in the boot; two hydraulic struts which were great until they failed, then like me you had to carry a brush shaft to prop it up.

Plus - how many people ever use the Herald bonnet stay, or know why it has two possible positions?

My discovery had a rear ladder fitted to gain access to the roof rack - the standard struts are fine when new - but after a fairly short time they fail and it either doesn’t lift fully open - and you smack your head on it - or it doesn’t stay up at all - which is a pain when loading!

I went to sgs engineering and they did me two custom ones at 475nm (standard was 350nm both from memory) - they were a bit too powerful and if you stood too close and opened it, it would take your chin off!  My solution was to hold it as it went up!

I do think two struts would be the best solution- if going for struts. Probably 100-120nm each based on Rogers science. 

23 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I do think two struts would be the best solution- if going for struts. Probably 100-120nm each based on Rogers science. 

From the engineering PoV two are better as you're evenly loading and supporting the bootlid - but there are no mountings on either the D/S of the boot lid or car body so the welder and rattle cans are probably going to have to come out.
Next best would be a single, centrally mounted strut - but that clearly has some downsides WRT loading and unloading the boot.
Last on the list comes a single, side strut - but you can add one as a bolt-on upgrade.

Hello All

The gas strut arrived today so I have spent the morning fitting it.

I fitted a strengthening plate to the boot lid.

I does not lift the boot lid until it is about 10" to 12" open then just goes up gently and holds firm. (which is what I want!)

I would be nice to try a 150n (not going to shell out another £10/£12)

Looking into the boot as it closes it looks very very tight on closed length(I may removed the cylinder joint and machine a touch off it!)

I just ordered the cheap ones(5year warranty) and the ends are 8mm so I just drilled and tapped the 2 captive nuts but I suppose if you went to a more expensive supplier you could order them with 1/4" UNF ends?

Roger

ps I agree if you are doing body work fit 2 x 100n 

DSC02038.JPG

DSC02039.JPG

DSC02040.JPG

Hello All

Another update!

I machined a bit off the cylinder end joint and it looks better but now I noticed the wing bracket flexes in fact the whole channel flexes!!!!!!

When I had a close look it is spot welded to the bottom of the channel and there is a diagonal brace on the tank side but not the other!!!

So when next back out in the garage I will remove the after market trim and see if I can beef up the bracket because as it stands not to happy with it!

Or may go mad and order a lower rated gas strut because as I say I only want it to hold up on is own not lift on its own!

Roger

Sorry gas struts for boot lids. Have our owners grown weak in limb?

What is wrong with with the original set up?

As for the bonnet, you brought the car with the original bonnet set up, did you not lift the bonnet when you brought it?

If you want an easier boot and bonnet to lift, buy a Reliant Robin.

Sorry for the rant but really this was how the car were designed.

Graham

Hello All

I have now strengthened the lower bracket(it still flexes a bit but then no more than most other things on the car!)

I forgot to take a photo before I covered it!

This is how it looks now and the carboard is the template for the plate.

I used 4mm bolts

I think a 400n would put a lot more strain on it and would need even more bracing!

Roger 

ps Graham its my car and not a priceless heirloom and if I tell you the other modifications you would probably have a heart attack! 

DSC02057.JPG

DSC02058.JPG

DSC02060.JPG

Why has the load on the brackets changed..... ? The boot lid still weighs the same...... unless the strut is too long and fighting the stop on the hinges? Or do you mean the excess pressure over and above what is needed to actually hold the lid up?  That’ll drop over time as the nitrogen charge escapes the gas spring....

At least you don’t have the shock loads from that daft ratchety thing the factory fitted doing the unexpected.

Nick

31 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Why has the load on the brackets changed..... ? The boot lid still weighs the same...... unless the strut is too long and fighting the stop on the hinges? Or do you mean the excess pressure over and above what is needed to actually hold the lid up?  That’ll drop over time as the nitrogen charge escapes the gas spring....

At least you don’t have the shock loads from that daft ratchety thing the factory fitted doing the unexpected.

Nick

Nick,

When the gas strut is compressed it is putting a lot of force through car structure that was not designed to have that level of force applied.

With the original boot prop, there is no force through the mounts when the boot is closed, and only the weight of the boot lid through it when the boot is open.

The problem is the same with having gas struts for the bonnet - massive forces through the wheel arches and then wings when the bonnet is closed - all sorts of unseen damage and distortion to the structure that will eventually fail, especially on a bonnet with corrosion in the wing to wheel arch area.  The struts can also cause the bonnet hinges to fail - I've now seen it happen on three bonnets - and once the hinge structure has failed it makes it very very difficult to open the bonnet.