Ancient tyres :- bin them

Jeffds1360

I would take a tyre off and check I have just rechecked my pairs the 3.5s are LP816 (I miss read as 916) and my 4.5s are LP875 the 3.5 is the measurement where the tyre sits on the inside, if you are measuring 4.5 - 5 on the outside that is likely 3.5 on the inside. I am 99.999% certain they are 3.5J wheels

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

make a simple X pivot in the centre  and a nail to touch the rim 

measure the outside ends  with nails on the rim edge   and replicate on the bench , just set the outers and measure 

between the nails 

try not to hammer them into the tyres or you get let down 

Pete

?🤔

44 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Well damit. Had not realised how deep the well was. Guess they are 3.5 so max is same as fitted at 145x80.

Thanks again Dan. you made my day :)

Sorry about that. But better that you know before fitting inappropriate tyres

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

D For bikes, motorcycles, light and heavy trucks and forklifts.

J Passenger cars

I never knew they were Ds! Always thought they were Js. You learn something new, as they say... but they were all 3.5D until the Vitesse came in, when the 2-litres got 4.5J. Even the early estates had 3.5D but a heavier duty version, supposedly marked HD, which I've never seen. 13/60 estates got the 4.5J as did the GT6 Mk1.

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Well damit. Had not realised how deep the well was. Guess they are 3.5 so max is same as fitted at 145x80.

Thanks again Dan. you made my day :)

Looking at the wheels and tyres equivalency chart on the link and working down to 3 1/2 the figures should be

Min: 125

Recommended : 135/145

Max: 155

This size has been mentioned in earlier posts. In fact they are what are on my 13/60, no idea if my wheels are D type or J type or E Type! 1313549361_tlchargement.jpg.4227915705f4b20732476c81cff7e043.jpg

• Haha 2

i bought a set of wheels thinking they were 4.5 as they have 175/65/13 tyres fitted and i didn't believe a competent fitter would put that size on a 3.5 rim. I was wrong (well depends on your definition of competent) . I won't use them, maybe as a spare in an emergency.

14 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

When I put my reg number into kwik fit site it says my herald needs 175 !!!!

I'm going to take one wheel along there tomorrow and see what their fitter says :)

I wouldn't bother with "thick fit" Jeff, bunch of morons who haven't a clue :(  Try and find a local tyre bay, small place. You will get proper advice from them not how much they can empty your wallet by....

Tony. 

That's a little unkind, poppyman!  KwikFit is a franchise, and the service it gives very dependant on the calibre of the local managers.

In my experience with the local depot, they are competent, and do not try to sell you unnecessarily expensive tyres.  Indeed, thet have saved me money on occasion!   I'm sorry if your local depot doesnt match up.

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

well I'm getting a deal with my local independent and him and his fitter say 165 70 will be fine on the 3.5J

So I'll hold them to it £165 is the price too.  Pity it's not the 70 :(

They will know best Jeff, not a bad price either.

Tony.

3 minutes ago, NonMember said:

You may have been unusually fortunate, as my experiences with a number of KwikFit centres has universally matched poppyman's.

Ditto.

They are all on commission for selling extras, so that is what most will try to do. They HATE people who have an inkling about cars.

Totally agree. About 40 years ago my local branch had a manager who was a bit of an ancient petro head. (Well he was about twice my age!)

Helpfull, interested and willing to  do discounts...... He was moved to 'head office'. All 3 of my 'local' (within 8 miles) are now not interested in anything other than selling you the most expensive and unneeded parts. Nothing is for free, even a battery check gets the head shake and an instruction to buy a 90 quid new one!!

Enough. I'm wheeless and rocking on axle stands :)

My mother was ripped off by Kwik Fit a couple of years ago after getting a puncture  almost outside a branch. In she went and came out with 4 new tyres and two new front shock absorbers. Luckily she went straight round to her local garage who had serviced it only 3 weeks before. They complained on her behalf to trading standards who took up the case as there was nothing wrong with the shocks or tyres and had done less than a hundred miles since. The result was a full refund of the Kwik Fit invoice. So looks like most people are of the same opinion, dont go near them as they have no morals.

Alf. 

35 minutes ago, Chris A said:

If they are so bad how come they are in business?

Have you ever tried dealing with a well known double-glazing company?

(The one I'm thinking of had a policy of dissing their competitors first, then quoting a figure and immediately offering a 50% discount, andanother discount, and another discount.... By the time they'd wasted hours of my time and come down to 1/8 of the initial quote it must surely have been a bargain! Except that I had already contacted a small, local firm, who spent ten minutes measuring up, one minute telling me the price - less than that major national one's final offer! - and then left, to let me think about it.)

• Like 2