Triumphs in Emsworth

Dick Twitchen

The only use for Conifer IMV. unless you live in some remote frozen Tundra and are desperate for a windbreak. Is as fast growing timber who`s main purpose is as substitute to stop or slow the cutting and removal of other varieties?. They do burn well in the wood burner though even if a bit too fast.

Pete

12 hours ago, NonMember said:

Unfortunately Leylandii aren't even any good for that.

They are when the trunk is almost 10" dia!!, and the fuel is Free, but yes they produce more ash and if not burned at a high enough temperature more flue deposits. Hard woods burn cleaner.

• Like 2

Someone dumped their old Christmas tree on the green across the road. Nice and dry!! Branches through the chipper, logs/base to the burner. Lastest a full evening in the grate. It all works for me. Oak tree on the menu this weekend nice and hot to clear the flue. Mixed with the Lidl smokeless fuel, heats up a treat.

• Like 1

According to the wood burning stove people, natural decomposition of dead wood returns the same amount of co2 to the atmosphere as burning it. It just takes longer. You reads your 'facts' and takes your choice. Don't get me going about the pollution put out by industry.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Don't brag about your wood burning - you are polluting the atmosphere twice as much as other fuels:  https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4433/11/12/1326

Almost as much as electric cars... I see they've been caught out recently bragging about inflated fuel-consumption figures.

However burning the Amazon rain forest must send up a few particles in comparison with my little stove... I read recently that Brazil has washed their hands of it, claiming it's nothing do do with them...

When the greenies, have had their way and the Gas disapears along with the Oil. and the "power companies" cannot supply enough "green power" to service the country. When everyone else is on rolling blackouts. There will be a lot of people wishing they had a woodburner. And pollution is NOT just industry in countries across the world. The South Americans are burning virgin forest the size of Wales daily. By comparison my contribution is miniscule!.

Rant Over

Pete

2 hours ago, poppyman said:

They good chippings to keep the weeds down. :) 

Tony.

And a good Habitat for beneficial bacteria and small but essential creatures in the lower food chain. Our resident Blackbird goes hunting there regularly. As Mulch they rot down and provide nutrients for SWMBO`s Various plantings.

Pete

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

So that's all right then?

Perhaps, somewhat sadly really. I reckon it is. I am so sick of being preached at by wet behind the ears Children, that I have ruined their Planet. So fed up in fact that I have decided I will plough my own furrow. I belong to the original recycling generation. The one that "repaired" things, and still do, not left them broken in the streets. The ones who had Paper bags, who`s bread and other comsumables did not come in 4 layers of plastic because "it looks nice" on the shelf. It`s part of the reason why at an advanced age I am restoring (very slowly I admit) a 50 year old car. The "modern generation" of critics are the one`s who left behind a mountain of rubbish to be cleared up at great expense to the taxpayers after a "demonstration" in support of a cleaner greeener planet (how`s that for Hypocrisy?). The same ones who daily drop litter everywhere, and then think they are "better" because they spent 1/2 a day picking rubbish off a beach?. They forget WHO, gave them the technology they take for granted?. Who designed the Labour saving devices they use daily. They do not have to walk several miles to school, they get bused, OR parent takes them, in massive SUV`s (how good is that for the environment), we had a bicycle (if we where that lucky). It`s about time all the "preachers" started practising what they preach. Go and protest, In Bejing, Moscow, Delhi, and all the other places.

Pete

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, PeteH said:

And a good Habitat for beneficial bacteria and small but essential creatures in the lower food chain. Our resident Blackbird goes hunting there regularly. As Mulch they rot down and provide nutrients for SWMBO`s Various plantings.

Pete

You wouldn't Blackbirds could make as much mess as they do, Pete.... always sweeping up after them. Agree with above as well. Strange how the green brigade jet around the world to attend lectures......

Tony.

6 minutes ago, poppyman said:

You wouldn't Blackbirds could make as much mess as they do, Pete.... always sweeping up after them. Agree with above as well. Strange how the green brigade jet around the world to attend lectures......

Tony.

It came home to me how hypocritical they are when the late David Bellamy. Flew to Australia just to pick up an award for "environmental" work. Then we have the "other" David (Attenborough). Taking a large crew to film in exotic locations in order to tell us how bad we are?. The most recent hypocrisy?. Grumpy Greta. Sailed to New York in a state of the art Yatch, which cost £????? to build. In order to get it back to Blighty they then FLEW a crew out to America. Dohhhh!.

Pete

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 09:30, JohnD said:

Don't brag about your wood burning - you are polluting the atmosphere twice as much as other fuels:  https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4433/11/12/1326

Misquoted article. That is about particulates INSIDE houses with sensors located close to the stoves. Nothing to do with atmospheric pollution.

This study concerns the levels of particulate matter (PM2.5 and PM1) released by residential stoves inside the home during ‘real world’ use

Besides, do you read all these articles before linking, or just google then blindly copy and paste the link?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, PeteH said:

It came home to me how hypocritical they are when the late David Bellamy. Flew to Australia just to pick up an award for "environmental" work. Then we have the "other" David (Attenborough). Taking a large crew to film in exotic locations in order to tell us how bad we are?. The most recent hypocrisy?. Grumpy Greta. Sailed to New York in a state of the art Yatch, which cost £????? to build. In order to get it back to Blighty they then FLEW a crew out to America. Dohhhh!.

Are you seriously suggesting Belamy flew to Australia JUST to pick up an award, arrived one day, flew back the next? Are you suggesting that nobody fly? Or that just Belamy shouldn't fly because you think he was an environmentalist? For your information Belamy was a global warming denier.

Attenborough doesn't take large crews to exotic locations! He's 90 years old and can hardly walk. He does the narrations. So false news.

Greta, chartered the boat, had she not the company who owned it would have chartered it elsewhere and got it home as they usually did. The cost of the boat is not Greta's fault.

So three incorrect claims written to denigrating the three people involved. 

Doug

16 hours ago, poppyman said:

You wouldn't Blackbirds could make as much mess as they do, Pete.... always sweeping up after them. 

Tony.

I thought it was just my lot. They dig soil out of the flowerpots and shake their heads so that it flies an amazing distance. I'm always sweeping the area round the front door where a collection of them dig the flowerbeds up almost every morning.

7 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Clive -Just an idle thought. Do you think that track racing contributes more pollution than a wood burning stove on a sort of day by day comparison, I have no experience in track racing.

Oh, let me think. Maybe a random google answer?

But I a sure somebody will know?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

There is a few Calor gas powered Triumphs about.

Pete, a local triumphist, has clocked up 200k or so miles in his gas (propane/butane mix I think?) powered Herald over the past 25ish years. He will be at my gaff tomorrow (he has bubbled with us), likely in the Herald. He is not interested n his modern car, and his spit tends to be used more in teh summer. Saying that, the spit has done 6k in the last 12 months.

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Are you seriously suggesting Belamy flew to Australia JUST to pick up an award,

That was how it was reported at the time, Yes.

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Greta, chartered the boat, had she not the company who owned it would have chartered it elsewhere and got it home as they usually did. The cost of the boat is not Greta's fault.

It was chartered on her behalf, and great play made in the "media" of the "environmental" benefit. The fact that it COULD have been on another charter is not a material fact. Nor was the fact that it had to be repatriated by a crew flown out for the job, even if normal practice, that "fact" was very much downplayed. The FOCUS was on the (IMV) false environmental so called benefit.

Even IF Attenborough only now does the voiceovers. The crews STILL have to go they don`t film themselves. (well maybe the monkeys could?).👍

Pete