Screenwash/wipe electrification mod

Ian Cooper

I finally got around to repairing the screenwash/pump switch on my GT6 Mk2 that someone, in its past, had butchered replacing the plastic knob with a crudely shaped piece of wooden dowel.

I had picked up a similar looking switch on ebay a couple of years ago but one of the electrical connections was different (smaller) and one was a female connector so I hadn't fitted the switch.

I decided to take the  plunger rod from the donor switch to replace the (butchered) plunger from my switch and fit a new knob.

Taking the donor switch apart it became obvious the inner pump would be damaged beyond repair so I figured an upgrade to an electric switch would be a good idea.

So this is my solution if it helps anyone.

Parts used:

1 Lucas style push button switch (0-485-01) momentary 10A horn (Durite) - EBAY

1 Plastic bush (148926) lower wishbone rear (rotoflex)- GT6 and Vitesse

2 x 1/2 self tappers and small washers.

2" by 1/2" strip of neoprene pond liner (a couple of turns of insulation tape would work just as well)

image.thumb.jpeg.3241ecfdf6d0e8310573d3fe1f482000.jpeg

Method:

Remove the knob (there's a small hole underneath the shank, push a thin rod in to release the nylon locking clip) and withdraw the knob.

Remove the pump/switch from the dashboard.

Remove the white pump inlet/outlet end (I drilled a series of small holes around the inlet/outlet nozzles, joined them up and pulled out the remnants, a spring and rubber diaphragm.

At this point I swapped the donor plunger with my butchered plunger but you shouldn't have to do that it can stay in place.

Remove the 'Lucas' switch mounting nut (not shown) but leave the mounting washer. Wrap the neoprene around the switch body (a couple of turns of insulation tape will do) and slide it into the suspension bush as shown.

image.thumb.jpeg.936b4299ecc0fbf21df534852ce4ca32.jpeg

Now place the assembly into the pump body and and check the fit against the plunger; the whole assembly should fit snugly against the plunger with it's domed head seating in the switch depression. NB The switch has a small amount of travel before it switches so you can mount it without a gap to the plunger.

If you're happy with the fit drill two small 'pilot' holes (180° apart on the horizontal) through the outer pump body and just mark the bush inside.

Now remove the switch, and drill through the bush.

Align holes and screw the self tappers through the pump body and into the bush; to cut a thread.

image.thumb.jpeg.9dc32e743de35152b0ec84c41cb41596.jpeg

Take out the self tappers and (to prevent damage to the switch I filed the sharp points off the screws to make them blunt).

Put the switch/bush assembly back together and position in the pump body with the holes aligned.

Replace the self tappers using thin washers and job done, 'a period' modification that can be repaired or replaced.

You'll need an electric pump and a couple of wires but that's the easy bit.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for all your help.

Ian

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Actually that's made me think (nothing good ever comes from it). A guitar overdrive overloads the amplifier and IS an overdrive. Where as our car's overdrives swap between flat out and not so flat out. So they're not overdrives.  Underdrives? Not a good marketing feature I suppose.

Doug

7 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Actually that's made me think (nothing good ever comes from it). A guitar overdrive overloads the amplifier and IS an overdrive. Where as our car's overdrives swap between flat out and not so flat out. So they're not overdrives.  Underdrives? Not a good marketing feature I suppose.

Doug

Pretty much what i find at work about communication, it sould be overwhelming but is mostly underwhelming!

50 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

Technically they're both operating above the norm ie the guitar pedal pushes the sound beyond standard and the overdrive makes the car go faster for the same revs. 

Under drive is where you leave the car... as opposed to inder garage.

• Haha 1

Colin. With the admonition, "leave that bloody red one alone!".😀? Like the one in the Engine room. It cost you a case (24) of beers. Should you ever use it!. Getting the "Chief" out of bed was "a crime against humanity".

Pete

• Haha 1

On 17/04/2021 at 20:35, Colin Lindsay said:

I remember the two large levers, one yellow knob one red, for high and low gearing. Does that count?

Nope.
Those are the normal gears levers, I just read that underdrive comes off the PTO like the overdrive so its either under or over but not both.
Either of the above would mean three gear levers.

Adrian

I drove a Mitsubishi Starion for a short while back in the 1980s and it had a lever to the right of the centre tunnel, like a second handbrake; when you pulled it a little symbol with a star illuminated on the dashboard. I'd no idea of what it did but used to move it about as I drove... turns out it was overdrive, but never made any difference to the driving that I'm aware of.

On the Landrover yellow was pushed down for four wheel drive and the red pulled back for low ratio. 

• 2 weeks later...

My old Series 2A had a little forest (copse?) of gear levers - the long cranked black one for 4-spd 'box, the yellow one for 4wd, the red one for high-low ratio, and a second black one for the Roamerdrive overdrive.  Lots of fun, and synchro only between 3-4.  A simple thing like a noiseless change from 3-2 gave a surprising feeling of satisfaction.

• Haha 1