Trunnion oiling article in the Courier

yes no problem. Heres my method:

Jack front of car off ground and support,

Locate trunion grease nipples (fit if not installed), remove cap (if fitted), clean and with small pin check grease nipple ball is free,

Put rag around trunions to catch any spillage,

Fit suitable length of soft plastic pipe to syringe and suck up gearbox oil venting any air,

Attach pipe to grease nipple and gently push oil in (dont press too hard as it shouldnt be necessary and the pipe could blow off the nipple),

Oil will fill the trunions and overflow out of the top past the rubber seals - you may even see old dirty oil/water pushed out but hopefully not grease,

You can move the steering from side to side to check all is free and play is minimal,

Replace caps/plugs, clean area and return car to ground

you can use a syringe or even a oil can to squirt oil in under the top loose fitting sealing cap  the club (Dougs Pumpinator) is a monster and far too expensive

you can get oiler/syringes quite cheaply that last a lifetime  this clarke was only £12   last week   

i use a wanner gun from 50 yrs old afor grease and a second from a boot sale for £8 

Doug tred that but his had parts missing 

ie  

image.thumb.png.1740306e3eea1f0be3644b21a9f3656b.png

No need for any special kit just jack up remove the grease nipple and fill the trunion using a standard hand pump oil can filled with ep90. I usually put an allen key under the top seal and just fill until oil starts coming out. High pressure is only needed to get the oil through the grease nipple, so don't use it.

Courier #488 (https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/uploaded_files/488 February 2021.pdf).

In brief:

• 10ml syringe and short length of 6mm o/d PVC pipe.
  • Remove blanking plug/nipple.
  • Screw end of PVC pipe into hole to use hole thread as a die to 'cut' a thread on the pipe.
  • Unscrew, fill syringe, screw back in to trunnion.
  • Gentle pressure on syringe until oil comes out under dist cap.

I fitted permanent grease nipples to the Vitesse 50 years ago and used to bugger around emptying the wanner of grease, filled it with diff oil “oil them trunnions” then empty the wanner of oil and refill with grease what a faff that was, so around 15 years ago I removed the spring and ball from the 45 degree grease nipples and converted an old lever oil can with a grease gun hydraulic nozzle filled it with diff oil and easy peasy now to pump clean oil thro both the Vit and Spit trunnions then to seal the grease nipple I simply push on a cut down plastic emission small bore pipe soft plastic sealing caps which stay in place to the next service. I have noticed after 15 years the caps are getting hard so I’ll need to check my stock of spare or buy some new ones and replace them a few cents only.

Oh I’ve also soldered the bottom sealing washers to the brass trunnions body to stop the oil draining out over time ie so there’s a reservoir of oil kept in the trunnions.

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

I fitted permanent grease nipples to the Vitesse 50 years ago and used to bugger around emptying the wanner of grease, filled it with diff oil “oil them trunnions” then empty the wanner of oil and refill with grease what a faff that was.

I have the opposite problem, more grease guns, mostly wanner than the Vitesse has grease nipples.

Regards

Paul

On 13/09/2021 at 10:18, dougbgt6 said:

Or you could use the "Pumpinator" a grease gun SO big it can't be manoeuvred onto the grease nipple! Only £45 from the club shop. They have plenty in stock, apparently.

SL380700.thumb.JPG.a418d744da18ea7f9f7182c5139ecda7.JPG

Doug

I bought one of those quite a few years back and had high hopes of it. Unfortunately it leaked almost as much oil out as any other grease gun I'd used previously, so I wouldn't recommend it.