Put a Tiger in your Tank

jagnut66

I was once given the Welsh equivalent of that sticker by an ancient garage owner in Brynamman: 'Mae gen i teigr yn y tanc'! I stuck it on the back of the minibus I was driving and it is only now (having taken up learning Welsh in Lockdown 3) that I fully understand what it said...or (more precisely) how it said it. Happy days/Dyddau'n hapus

7 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

He found a tiger's head one day
Nailed to a piece of wood
The tiger looked quite miserable
But I suppose he should
Just them from out the window
A voice began to wail
He said "oi, where's me tiger's head?"
"Four foot from 'is tail!"

I stand, or rather sit, corrected.

Now I could have posted that on another site. And no one would have picked up on it. Saw "Lonnie`s band" a few years back at a festival. His son (Peter?) is fronting it, does all the old stuff, but sadly It`s lost something.

Pete

2 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

4' head to tail ? Must have been a cub.

Tiger Cub....200cc 4 stroke, big step up from a BSA Bantam 175cc 2 stroke (D7) which I made in 1967 :)

...6 posts to a stripe  

My first motorbike was a D7. Three speed gearbox, if memory serves. Passed test and then moved on to a Triumph 650cc, 6T. Mum was worried it would be too powerful but an uncle (mums younger brother)  who was a semi pro scramble rider went as a passenger and said I could handle it I was given the ok.

In the hotel car park tonigt at Conleau there was a Bonneville. modern one, disk brakes etc, not the real thing 🤪

Ahhh! Motorcycles, My first "love". BSA B31 1950 rigid back end. Learned to ride on a road, and took my test on that. Norton 600 Twin "Dominator". Then Girls, eventually Wife, and Cars, lots of them!. In the70`s on the ferries I had the "kit of parts" in the engine room workshop, which made up (eventually) a BSA Shooting Star 500 Twin. Much later swapped out for a BMW r1000RS. Happy days.

Pete

BSA B31 a friend had one at the time I had my Bantem and Triumph. Back then they were cheap and all we could afford. Took the p*"" out of a friend as all he could afford was a 3 wheeler with JAP engine (can't swear to it being a Morgan) No doubt all now worth a fortune.

Always had a hankering for the R100RS. Couldn't justify the 1k pounds more for one than the Moto Guzzi Spada I did buy and ran in with a trip from Surrey to Madrid and back for a rally.

Too young for the older british bikes. When we started my mates all had fizzies and being one to be diffrent i got a T reg rd50. Could not take my test on it so got a yb100. Followed by a stream of plastic fantastic kawasaki's. Did both legs and arms on a gpz600r. Last bike zx6, absolutely mad bike 20 years ago. None since. 

44 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Last bike zx6, absolutely mad bike 20 years ago. None since. 

Speaking of "mad" bikes. Neighbour, when I lived in Surrey in the 80`s. Had this FJ1200. Awsome bloody thing. One day he let me take it up the M3. I chickened out at 120(ish). I asked what it actually did, he said the most he`d seen was 150. with a bit to go!. The Beamer only went a few years back, It was getting hard to ride in any comfort with the Arthritis, the last year was 40miles between MOT`s.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Speaking of "mad" bikes. Neighbour, when I lived in Surrey in the 80`s. Had this FJ1200. Awsome bloody thing. One day he let me take it up the M3. I chickened out at 120(ish). I asked what it actually did, he said the most he`d seen was 150. with a bit to go!. The Beamer only went a few years back, It was getting hard to ride in any comfort with the Arthritis, the last year was 40miles between MOT`s.

Pete

The first bike i got on after the rod in my leg was an fj1200. Pillion, holding onto the hand rail, my mate accelerated so hard my legs rose up under his arms and only dipped when he changed gear! The zx6 was a different league, 155 in the blink of the eye! Brakeing so hard the rear would lift up in the air as you were going along. Sold as i could not practically use it, 2000 miles in two years ownership. The bikes now are in a league above that! So powerful even the manufacturers restrict them. I will stick to my old triumphs. 

9 hours ago, Mathew said:

When we started my mates all had fizzies

Same here,except i had a Suzuki AP50.Went to the Earls Court bike show to buy a Jama exhaust to make it go 1 mph faster.

After that a DT175 trail bike,then a 400 Super dream.About 15 years ago  a guy i worked with let me borrow his Kwak ZX750,120mph down the Lightwater bypass.

That was the last time i rode a bike,wife and kids got in the way of enjoying life (still and i`m 56).

Steve

I had a dt175mx trail bike. Brilliant. Did the tare steps before it was closed off! Wish i never sold it. Would have been great round my garden, 660 feet long and 66 feet wide! Got 250 quid and a mk1 fiesta for it! Needed a car!