UK gone mad

Ian Faulds

I hate the new (I say new - they have been out for years!) colour systems - makes absolutely no sense to me (Less even than GB/UK!) - Especially when you have 3 blacks for the live 3 phases with just a marker for the actual phase on the end!

As for UK single phase voltages - mine is all over the places. This is mine today.

image.png.5b98211fdda8b40b2e7d872904134f92.png

The Continent is even worse. Some Campgrounds I have "seen" 180v. reverse polarity, and NO earthing. The R-V used to trip campground supplies for a pastime. 

US cable identifiers, where white (neutral) and black (live). I had real "fun", rewiring the first one to UK sockets. for UK supplies (at 50hz). but retaining some 120 circuits for Frig; and the Air conditioner. At the same time as Transforming the 120V (60Hz) output from the onboard Generator, to 220V for the UK stuff.

Pete

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

Single brown and blue

I'm old enough to remember when these new colours came in.

To remember which of them  replaced the old version when mixing old and new wiring the advice was :

George Brown* is a red.

Black & blue

* Knowing who he was will date you. 🙄

When I was an apprentice the foreman of the electrical test department was red/green colour blind. He had an apprentice assigned to him whose only job was to identify red and green.

Red/green colour blindness is the most common form  and the reason we changed to brown, blue and green/yellow.

No.1 son-in-law is colour blind and supports Newcastle United for the sole reason that with their black and white strip he can be certain it's them.

Doug

5 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Red/green colour blindness is the most common form

Decades ago I worked in an office where one of the guys suffered that, it was ages before he was 'found out' by questioning the colours of some designs. We were all surprised and asked how he coped with traffic lights. Simple, he said, red is at the top green at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

A certain Mr Kinnock had to receive treatment for 3rd degree burns after igniting said 'gas' in close proximity to his nethers. The witness said he'd never vote for his party again...

I think you have to substantiate that low-down (! )and inflammatory (!!) allegation, Ian, or else be labelled a Welsh windbag!

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I think you have to substantiate that low-down (! )and inflammatory (!!) allegation, Ian, or else be labelled a Welsh windbag!

John

Yes indeed. Mr Kinnock was, I believe, a trainee at Whiteheads, Newport. He had a few, and proceeded to demonstrate the the affect of an 'after-burner', which is-was performed without the added safety features of trousers. 

The gentleman witnessed the event, to whom he related to me. The reputation of said re-teller was cast iron, and as such, I would stake my own reputation on the story, as is. 

Sad to say, the gent concerned has since passed away.  

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

I'm old enough to remember when these new colours came in.

To remember which of them  replaced the old version when mixing old and new wiring the advice was :

George Brown* is a red.

Black & blue

* Knowing who he was will date you. 🙄

Reddish-brown, and black and blue, always worked for me.

2 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Yes indeed. Mr Kinnock was, I believe, a trainee at Whiteheads, Newport. He had a few, and proceeded to demonstrate the the affect of an 'after-burner', which is-was performed without the added safety features of trousers. 

The gentleman witnessed the event, to whom he related to me. The reputation of said re-teller was cast iron, and as such, I would stake my own reputation on the story, as is. 

Sad to say, the gent concerned has since passed away.  

Ian, 

I'm glad to accept the reminiscence of a friend as such.    But gosh, did you, or they, do nothing in your youth which in years and experience you would never do!   

I will confess to having been arrested in Trafalgar Square, for squirting a Police Officer with a water pistol.   I was seized by two very burly Mets, frog marched off the Square, searched, my "weapon" destroyed ("Stamp on it, sonny boy!") and unarrested, with the strong suggestion that I get on home, now!

It was foolish then, even foolhardy - I might get shot today! - and I wouldn't even think of doing so now.   But  I learnt from it, and hope that none of my peers or seniors eventually thought worse of me for it.  

To condemn a man for the foolishness of youth is to forget one's own youth, and how we learnt!

John

• Like 3

Ian, 

I'm glad to accept the reminiscence of a friend as such.    But gosh, did you, or they, do nothing in your youth which in years and experience you would never do!   

I will confess to having been arrested in Trafalgar Square, for squirting a Police Officer with a water pistol.   I was seized by two very burly Mets, frog marched off the Square, searched, my "weapon" destroyed ("Stamp on it, sonny boy!") and unarrested, with the strong suggestion that I get on home, now!

It was foolish then, even foolhardy - I might get shot today! - and I wouldn't even think of doing so now.   But  I learnt from it, and hope that none of my peers or seniors eventually thought worse of me for it.  

To condemn a man for the foolishness of youth is to forget one's own youth, and how we learnt!

John

Just to round this off, I once saw a piece on one of those late night TV programmes (Eurotrash I think) that don't appear to be around now. A character called Mr. Methane (Google him there are Yootoob vids). You can imagine the type of act that he did, with a cigarette lighter!! Ouch!!

Not lighting them but,if you like that sort of thing,look on Youtube for  "Le Petomane".

The story of a French man called Joseph Pujol,who had a stage act performing wind based comedy.

Played by the great Leonard Rossiter and written by Galton and Simpson of Steptoe fame.

S

There was A certain gentleman In one shipping company I worked for, who`s reputed party trick was to pass "gas" into an empty bottle, and then ignite the resulting escape.

Never saw it ,but t was comfirmed by several who had sailed with him.

Pete

Back in the early days of Ant and Dec I saw the pair reduced to total helplessness on a Saturday morning kids programme when they asked children about embarrassing things their parents did; one young girl announced that her father would break wind in a biscuit tin, slam the lid closed immediately, then offer it to visitors who would open the lid expecting a biscuit.

4 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Oh no, dear me. I'm not about to condemn Mr Kinnock. If it's OK with you, I'll stop the 'gas subject, 'cos we'll breach the grounds of common indecency.

No, no!  Don't stop!  Farting is hilarious!   We all do it 5-15 times a day (NHS website!)  There is actual Cambridge University research that confirms this:   https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/think/article/abs/why-flatulence-is-funny/0EEB07DDD190C5F7207AEFE632AC275A   We can't help it. 

Fart away!

John

21 hours ago, Mathew said:

You will find alot of cabling just black wires, say a 24 strand cable going between cabinets and machinery. The reliance on the cables having numbers printed along there length so you don't need to bell them out. Cable identification is standard to line up with the drawings. The incoming cables will still be colour coded. Once inside the cabinet its common to have one colour for your power with cable identification matched to the drawings for tracing. The difficulty starts with older machinery where the machine has been modified and the drawings not updated or missing, bits linked out or changed, cable identification lost. Plc's input and output failure and someone has made a get around to keep it running but not updated the paperwork or corrected it afterwards, all the fun of the fair!

I did a job years ago to upgrade the old controller to a new one - cursory look at the panel insued and I was issued with the panel drawings. Marked up the drawings for the new kit and gave it to the site spark (More than a spark and actually has gone on to be an excellent controls engineer!) - he came back later with it all done, but said that he had to work it all out again as the controllers in the panel weren't the ones fitted as they had been upgraded previously!

The panel in question has since been ripped out during a plant update!

On 30/09/2021 at 19:59, Mathew said:

Three phase supply,  the options are endless. High torque motors running in delta or star, start in star and switch to delta. Reverse motor direction by swapping two phazes. Run by a 24v drop down control plc with contactors and relays. 3 phaze lifts, lathes and mills. Let alone the powerful compressor you could run. Run every other strip light by a different phaze so you don't get a strobe effect from your machinery. Instead just one used, what a waste.

Need to have a chat to you when I drop the GT6 off.

I have the powerful compressor already but need to explore my possibilities further.

Beginning to think this thread should be retitled - Old Folks Home for Electrical Engineers!

Perhaps you should all have a badge, to identify you.      this most timely mask wIll also protect you, from Covod AND FARTS!

Retired Engineer Face Masks | Redbubble

Lots more at https://www.redbubble.com/shop/retired+engineer+masks

Big, BIG smiley!

John

PS And to think that people complain about politics on a classic car board!   Sigh!