E5 v E10 prices

Jeffds1360

Don't know about you lads but I am annoyed at the extra cost of the E5.

It is 6p/Lt more up here at 161.

Bit unfair is it not? Must be cheaper to produce? 

Also, what's your take on supermarket fuels v the likes of Shell etc? Is it worth saving a few pence/Lt?

e5 should gve you a bit more MPG, and teh engine make a little more (1? but it all counts) BHP offsetting the extra cost. 

No point in letting it bother you, it is just the way it is. Driving is still cheaper than many other hobbies!

I fill up wherever is convenient. But my spitfire is full EFI, and is tuned to suit e10. Actually, I let the wideband sensor sort the fuelling... but it often means I fill at supermarkets. Tesco Momentum is meant to be good stuff, and remember, at the refinaries, they don't have seperate tanks for every retailer, just great big E10 tanks a smaller E5 (I guess) though no doubt some chains will have their own tanks, but all fuel has to meet minimum standards. 

I've always used Super Unleaded, so I'm used to the premium price tag. Tesco Momentum is the cheapest way to buy that grade around here (Herts.). Okay, my GT6 always seems smoother on BP Super Unleaded than any other brand, but with the current fuel prices, it sees Tesco Momentum more often than not. 

Gully

i have always ran the Vit6 and  now the 2000 on sainsbugs super now being   97+E5

never a problem 

if you use near factor y timing for best performance and economy   then  you need to use 97-99 fuelling or retard and loose the horses to run on mower fuel 95 e10

even my new C4 130  runs more  +4  mpg on 97E5 than 95 E10   

Pete

• 5 weeks later...

Ethanol, is allegedly only added to the tankage as the delivery is filled. This is because (allegedly again) ethanol fuels deteriorate during prolonged storage.

The only practical evidence I have for that, is My 2,2Kw Generator, which if left with fuel in the tank for more that a week or so, is a bitch to start. However if I run it dry and refil with fresh product when I need it I get an almost instant start.

My Peugeot - 107, had standard E10 in it, and seemed very lackluster. However when I put Super e5 in it definitely seems more lively, (for a 900cc 3 cylinder).

Pete

I can't get any uprated fuel over here, even Tescos don't stock anything bar the bog standard 95 and E5. Prices are all over the place but I paid £1.56 last week so they only got £20 off me, my local was £1.48 so he gets more of my trade.

It puts things in perspective when I put £80 in the Freelander and spent £60 on Triumph parts... driving has become more expensive than the hobby. It used to be the other way round. Now it's only the rich who can afford to run an everyday car... :)

Just past millenium time I started processing waste frying oil from my sister's pub for use in an old diesel. I used it mixed 20% with pump diesel. It stank of everything cooked in it. However, doing it properly was legal then. It may be now. Just need a diesel that will run on anything.

You may be able to buy biodiesel anyway. I did look into this in 2008. I could have had a 1000 litre tank in the back yard.

• Like 1

I am sure there was a debate, some years ago around the fact that some "enterprising" welsh Taxi Drivers where using recycled "chip" oil?. Revenue where allegedly very interested in the concept, something to do with a limit on the amount they could make before they had to pay fuel duty???.

The Joke being their scheme whas Discovered because of the Smell from the exhaust!. Macky D`s advertise on some of the truck`s that they recycle cooking oil into biodiesel for their trucks!.

Pete

Well, it is either do this and drive a diesel or ferment stuff and distill it for the alcohol to run a petrol car. Clever people may start doing this. It would be more of a saving than drinking it.

It is making me look for a Skoda Octavia TDi again. My last one did 70MPG. Beats my present 2 litre diesel by 20 MPG.

Will look at petrol as well, but cannot see how that could be beaten.

16 hours ago, Wagger said:

It is making me look for a Skoda Octavia TDi again. My last one did 70MPG. Beats my present 2 litre diesel by 20 MPG.

I've just done the conversion from the French way of stating fuel consumption ( litres per 100 kms) to mpg for my Skoda Yeti diesel, comes out at 60mpg and this is not at its best because I'm not doing nice long steady runs just local trips - no stop start town driving open rural roads.

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

I've just done the conversion from the French way of stating fuel consumption ( litres per 100 kms) to mpg for my Skoda Yeti diesel, comes out at 60mpg and this is not at its best because I'm not doing nice long steady runs just local trips - no stop start town driving open rural roads.

The Yeti is something that I would consider. (Two wheel drive version). Is it suitable for medium sized dogs? Shame that they discontinued it. The Karoq is a bit gross looking. Hopefully, the Yeti will be supported for a long time. Our Octavia never did worse than 45mpg.

Litres per 100 kms is a linear scale. MPG is a reciprocal, so cannot be, hence the non linear scale on the analogue meter dials used on German cars.

Why is Miles per Gallon a "reciprocal scale"?     Sure, it's calculated by miles run divided by gallons used, but that's not a reciprocal, which is 1, divided by the number you're interested in.

Miles per gallon is miles over ONE gallon  Which is not a reciprocal at all!   It's a "rate"

Anyway, "Reciprocal scale" is where one axis of the chart IS a reciprocal , because that value is itself the result of a calculation, typically 1/value.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Why is Miles per Gallon a "reciprocal scale"?

That depends on whether you are measuring "fuel economy" or "fuel consumption". If it's the consumption you're after, then quantity used / period of measurement is the correct rate scale - so litres/100km is right, as would gallons-per-mile be, and MPG is the reciprocal of the correct measure. MPG is a linear measure of fuel economy, not of fuel consumption.

Fuel consumption measures the amount of fuel a car consumes to go a specific distance.

Fuel economy  refers to how far a car can go using a set amount of fuel.

So it comes down to semantics.     Yes, the second is the reciprocal of the first, OR, depending on where you started, the second of the first.   But neither is a "reciprocal scale".

As for " non linear scale on the analogue meter dials" that has nothing to do with, but is a feature (bug?) of the design of the instruments.