Infra red thermometer

trigolf

Ditto, I bought one off E-Bay £9 (ish). Use it to monitor the wood burner more than anyting. Even took my temperture during lock down when I supected I might have had covid😁 (false alarm). They are accurate enough for most purposes. Interestingly, I used it outside During the recent "hot" weather. 48C in one corner of the Conservatory, at 3.00pm. That`s a bit warm for Northern UK. My Grandson says they have seen 50+. (just north of Sydney). Those are the sort of Temp`s we only used to see in Ships Boiler rooms!.

Pete

31 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Got mine from L!dl, where else. Works well but shiny surfaces confuse it, such as the underside of my galvanised metal shed roof.

Why do you need to check the temperature of the underside of a roof? Or is it like my endoscope, which was newly purchased was stuck into all sorts of places, just to test? (Steady there, guys.... NO I DIDN'T)

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Some place`s in the world have "Sidewalk" Egg Cooking "competitions" on very hot days!.

Pete

I was in Death Valley last summer (2021) on the day when the temperature reached 54C, and people were trying to cook eggs on tarmac and failing dismally.

The surface needs to be over 70C to get an egg cooking - and even then its more likely to just dry out than actually cook.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't have one, but a friend of mine uses one when tuning twin carbs. He sets them and then double checks the temperature at the jet/needle intersection and insists that they must be with 1/2 degree of each other and that therefore ensure better accuracy/evenness of the mixture in each carb. ( airflow etc is all checked and even ). From the colour of the plugs they seem exceptionally even. 

Not tried it myself but am going to on my spitfire. 

Has anyone else done this ?