Compressor

DJB350Z

Hi,

Looking for a compressor primarily for painting and I've narrowed it down to this: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor-tool-kit

Looks to have a high CFM rating and with a 100l tank it shouldn't run out of puff too often.

I was wondering about oil vs oiless but as far as I can tell oil fed is ok so long as I have a oil & water trap connected, right?

Anything else I should beware of, or does this look like a good buy?

Thanks

My SGS experience is crap , jacks lasted a year then leaked , compressor 2 years of limited use then oil sprayed every where . Just bought SIP 04383 QT100/10 . Much more expensive though low noise 57 decibels compared with 110 decibels . So far SIP 100 litre is behaving . 

Paul 

Currently £23 cheaper on ebay. But more to the point...that's an amazing spec. for the price point. How so? SGS are fine for what they are, but occupy a niche at the economy end of the market. So don't expect much in terms of durability or longevity and service/repair items are likely to be non-existent. Neither, I am told, are they that good at honouring warranties.

I tend to regard all SGS products as 'consumables' rather than 'durables'. In dishwasher terms SGS are 'Beko' rather than 'Miele'.

20 minutes ago, Paul H said:

So far SIP 100 litre is behaving

I have a SIP 50L twin cylinder. It's approaching 30 years old and has been dropped on its side in the past. One of the cylinder heads got cracked and had to be repaired (it's an obsolete model so no spares availability). It still works fine, even if it's a bit loud.

12 minutes ago, chrishawley said:

Currently £23 cheaper on ebay. But more to the point...that's an amazing spec. for the price point. How so? SGS are fine for what they are, but occupy a niche at the economy end of the market. So don't expect much in terms of durability or longevity and service/repair items are likely to be non-existent. Neither, I am told, are they that good at honouring warranties.

I think the cheaper one is without the accessories.

I agree with what you say regarding SGS as a brand. At that price point it's a hard one to pass on. I have a smaller 25l compressor already so I guess I'd be gambling on this one serving me long enough to spray the shell.. and anything more is a bonus.

I hadn't heard of SIP before so I'll check those out too! Low noise would be a really nice plus, but not a deal breaker.

I bought a Burisch 3hp 90hp compressor from GT Air about 5 years ago, and that has been extremely reliable, though is marginally more expensive that the one from SGS.

https://gtair.co.uk/air-compressors/1-burisch-bt-390t-90-litre-3hp-belt-drive-air-compressor-5060523510009.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_KbBhDLARIsANx7wAwQ_UF4szCC5XZUfvov3hztmJJbFEbGzGjDEfcudV10n2CWT_zIsZgaAlCLEALw_wcB

Karl

I bought a new SIP 3hp/50l direct drive compressor, had it 10 years, sprayed several cars and lots of other stuff. And then a lightly used SIP belt drive compressor came up locally at a very good price, which I snapped up. That was about 17 years ago. Selling my old SIP covered the cost of the upgrade.

There are a lot of barely used compressors out there. I would always say try to get a belt drive, the noise is so much easier to live with. 

As another suggestion, consider linking ypour existing compressor to whatever ypu buy. Effectively you will end up with more power and a larger tank, no downsides. (unless you have limited electrical power, and both start at the exact same time. Only the moment they start is a worry, but the chances of that are near enough zero)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DJB350Z said:

Interesting, was 50l not a bit too small?

I have sprayed several cars, never been an issue.

I am not saying 100L wouldn't be better, but mine copes just fine. I use a 1.3 tip on a gravity fed HVLP spraygun. (not expensive either, but results are good just as I finish spraying. Really I need more practice. 

• Like 1

I bought an ABAC 60 litre 3 h.p. .. years ago.

I can recommend as had no  problems at all.

Runs on ordinary 13 amp domestic mains.

Output surprisingly good  

It is  reasonably quiet. It is belt drive - beware  some direct drive compressors they can be very noisy)

Italian-made.Seems good quality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 100l SIP was delivered before Christmas but it was only today that I got to fire it up. Can only say that I'm glad for the recommendations here... it's unbelievably quiet. Though that wasn't what swayed me against the SGS compressor it's definitely a welcome plus!