GT6 Gearbox Removal

Can't swear to a GT6, but that's the way I deal with my Vitesse - and it's had a few engines/gearboxes in and out!    It is far, far easier to detach and replace  gearbox from the back of the engine on the bench than grovelling in the car.

The WSM will say "take the bonnet off", but if you have a "LoadLeveller" and can suspend your engine winch from a high enough beam, the this is how I do it:

Engineoutsequence.thumb.jpg.dd33d515b36ff5e586a1acbc489d7eec.jpg

Hope that helps!

John

2 hours ago, iani said:

Not difficult to remove a GT6 gearbox from inside the car with the engine still in place, remove the passenger seat and remove via that footwell.

+1

I've had the gearbox in and out of my GT6 several times over the years. Removing the H-frame centre console and tunnel cover is tedious but not difficult.

Remove the passenger seat then pulling the 'box and overdrive out through the cabin is a one man job. The rear of the engine needs to be supported with a jack, using a piece of wood to spread the load on the back of the sump pan. Raise the back of the engine slightly to enable the 'box to clear the transmission tunnel.

Refitting is the reverse procedure, as Haynes manuals like to say! However a gearbox with overdrive is heavy, and care is needed to align the input shaft and clutch splines. A helper at this stage is useful, though it can be done alone.

Nigel

Having spent a small fortune at the chiropractor over the last 18 months after a rotator cuff tear, I am currently preparing for the removal of the engine and gearbox in order to do a clutch swap and gearbox check over.

I have removed the box through the car in the past, but it is not easy and puts strain on hoses etc. as well as one's anatomy. (the car is lot lower now than it was when I was in my 20s)

I do have the time to do the engine and box and will take the opportunity of having the engine out to do a bit of a tidy up.

Ian 

Edited by Ian Foster
update

I have done both methods, removal/ replacement of gearbox through the car is hard work and hard on the body. The box is heavy and a tight fit when attaching the the engine. A lot easier to remove both together, this summer I removed the engine and gearbox to sort out an oil leak and at the same time repainted the bulk head, strip and paint the chassis and  upgraded the suspension.

If you can combine these job then remove engine and gearbox.  Also fixing up the engine bay increases the value of the car and is a simple .

Graham

I've done it twice from the inside, as stated passenger seat out. It's tricky to wiggle the bell housing out, it's wider than the hole in the bulkhead. WHY did they do that?!! I'm told the engine went on the chassis and the body on next and they didn't notice THE HOLE WASN'T BIG ENOUGH!! :angry: 

Doug

Having done both methods on a spitfire 1500 and GT6 by myself on my own, the easier method is to remove the engine and gearbox together. May be longer but easier on the your body. Being bent double wiggling the gearbox in a GT6 to push it back in through a hole that is slightly to small and wrong shape.

Both methods work so choose which method suits you.Graham

Graham

Its the exhaust that always worries me when removing the engine - I always expect the manifold to downpipe nuts to be seized and then a stud or more to shear off🤣Im a born pessimist and would even consider undoing the exhaust/intake manifold from the block instead...

3 hours ago, johny said:

Im a born pessimist and would even consider undoing the exhaust/intake manifold from the block instead...

Yup I did that last time I took the head off, looks most precarious balanced on top of the exhaust. I put additional support under the exhaust because once disconnected from the head all that weight is held up by one tiny bracket. 

Doug

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johny said:

Its the exhaust that always worries me when removing the engine - I always expect the manifold to downpipe nuts to be seized and then a stud or more to shear off🤣Im a born pessimist and would even consider undoing the exhaust/intake manifold from the block instead...

no choice on my car as the mk2 spit has a 1 piece 4-2-1 manifold which is too long to raise the rear of the engine without removing from the cylinder head. 

• Sad 1