Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

But of course!

My first Vitesse boot wouldn't lock when I bought it... except that I soon discovered it actually was locked and wouldn't unlock, it's just that some PO had hammered the handle in enough to dent the boot lid to the point where the two lugs holding the housing still were no longer engaged, and the whole thing could turn.

Try plenty of WD40 into the lock, then insert and remove the key many times. Sometimes that frees the pins up in the barrel.

32 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Are you turning the key the correct way?

I know it sounds daft but mine can be locked by turning the key in either direction but only unlocks if it has been turned in the correct direction to lock it. It is probably due to old lock, recut key etc

I’ve tried all the ways. 
I have another key at home. I’ll try that.

it was a little sticky sometimes. Dam I wish I’d changed it!

41 minutes ago, NonMember said:

But of course!

My first Vitesse boot wouldn't lock when I bought it... except that I soon discovered it actually was locked and wouldn't unlock, it's just that some PO had hammered the handle in enough to dent the boot lid to the point where the two lugs holding the housing still were no longer engaged, and the whole thing could turn.

Try plenty of WD40 into the lock, then insert and remove the key many times. Sometimes that frees the pins up in the barrel.

I’ll give that a go!

before I get the hammer out

Wo OOooH   I fancy a trip to weymouth  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you get really cross with it you can wrench the handle round , it shears the barrel tumblers and  never locks again but the back seat ( dougs idea ) sounds a plan , 

troble is you cant check you have the righ key till you get it unlocked and remove the barrel

new ones are about   https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-vitesse&diagram=triumph-vitesse-boot-lid

Pete

The lock and handle are replaceable much more easily than the boot lid, so I wouldn't recommend my earlier "PO's method". For this weekend, use the back seat. Longer term you can drill out the barrel or carefully cut away the "escutcheon", since that's what the lock engages into. Then open the boot, undo the nut on the handle shaft and it just pulls out for replacement.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

glad its open , when youre  back its a remove and clean it all up the barrel comes out , you can 

clean all the old crud out the tumblers  and their springs 

be like new 

Pete

Nice to have a job again!

14 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Luggage Paula 2 cases car 4 containers , nothing like being prepared!

What was that previous thread "Whats in your boot!"

Actually the luggage in this picture has tools and belts and bits and bobs. Just in case. 
I haven’t started packing yet!

• Like 1