Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

New dizzy cap, rotor and freshly baked spark plugs(200' for 10 mins) 

And he practically started himself!
Running lovely. 

No sign of any water leak or bubbles!!!
I honestly don't know what i would do without you!
So very very happy. 
I haven't been for a drive yet. i'm letting him cool down so i can check levels again.

Wooo and may I also add Hoo!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, johny said:

Result! Unfortunately our cylinder head design makes rechecking the bolt torques after 600miles a right pain so I just crossed my fingers and luckily havent had any problems. However I do recommend keeping your revs under 10000😂

Maybe i'll learn to keep it under 70 mph now.

Maybe.

1 hour ago, Paula said:

New dizzy cap, rotor and freshly baked spark plugs(200' for 10 mins) 

And he practically started himself!
Running lovely. 

No sign of any water leak or bubbles!!!
I honestly don't know what i would do without you!
So very very happy. 
I haven't been for a drive yet. i'm letting him cool down so i can check levels again.

Wooo and may I also add Hoo!

Well done Paula, really pleased for you :) 

Tony.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Excellent result!

If the factory had intended you to do that they wouldn't have called it a Vitesse!  😛

Well exactly.
And I feel i'm showcasing the glamour of British classic car ownership. 😆

• 1 month later...

I thought when I saw that at first that it was like some of the people in my mother's Care Home - missing a few teeth (on that hub), but it may be just the light however judging by the rust it has been sitting unloved for a time... wonder what state the O/D is in? HB is correct for a Vitesse 1600 box but it may need some work before it's useable. Lots of good oil for starters!

9317B846-E7A5-48DD-BCC5-719A13D51906.thumb.jpeg.ec9169f7e9184252fd8086d6c046f833.jpeg.cd29407b92dc7dab7712d90f7326e8eb.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the rust on input and output  shafts  would mean the bearing are shot , the OD solenoid is missing 

but could be ok for more spares for feargal 

even another trip to sunny covid luton  ????

lets see what the EmmaChisit is 

Pete

More posh biscuits!

Might have to up my game to cake!

4 minutes ago, Paula said:

He says he’s seen some go for £400 and is asking for offers. 

If it was a 4 synchro box it would be worth more. That one will obviously have the non synchro and different ratio first gear which is a good negotiating point👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paula said:

He says he’s seen some go for £400 and is asking for offers. 

I've seen some go for that too, but they worked. For reconditioning, or as an unknown quantity which appears to have lain outdoors for quite some time, I'd be bidding much less, and expecting to pay out a bit on having it refurbished if I did get it. I suppose that's the price they go for these days, but it seems a lot to me unless it's fully working and just needs a brush-up. Phone a supplier such as Chic Doig and ask him what he'd charge for similar, as a comparison price.

You might need these, by the way... :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Vitesse-1600-Mk-1-overdrive-gearbox-parts/154188201631?hash=item23e6553e9f:g:hVYAAOSwe7pekEpd

• Like 1

A friend has just sold a 4 synchro box, stripped, properly cleaned teh OD filters, changed whatever needed changing and new seals/gaskets. He charged £500 for that.

The 1600 box is not sought after. And that one is definitely in need of a strip down/rebuild. Think £500 done, and work backwards from that. (ok the £500 is a low price for a rebuilt box, but you get the point) 

• Like 1

Difficult one as some major components are no longer made so if a gearbox suffers a major failure it can take time to source replacement parts which then wont be matched to the originals. Also the quality of repro smaller items like synchro rings, laygear shafts and bearings can be unknown so original good condition secondhand ones might be preferrable but there lies the road to madness - I now have 4 'spare' gearboxes and counting🤪