Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

sounds a plan  the old grease goes very sticky 

aha Doug's dropped me in it again !!!!

you can pull the cord/spiral drive out by undoing the big tube nut on the motor gearbox and just pull the 

thing out its a couple of ft  long 

before remove the wiper arms , stick a card pointer on the splined drive  pointing at 12oclock

pull the cord out , to re grease it

on refit turn the pointer 180 degrees so when you refit the cord the drive runs on the unused side of the wheelbox gear .

as for the motor you can remove the tin cover screws and re grease the worm/gear drive 

if you strip the crank from the gearbox turn it over 180 deg so again use the unworn 

side of the spiral drive 

Pete

• Like 1

Non Member thanks for the explanation I’l have to digest.

Someone might correct me but the single speed mod to twin speed I suggested for the square motor I think results in the fast speed being faster. I’ll try and find the article and post, it might take me a little time.

• 2 weeks later...

are you still after a gearbox as Tony Lindsey Dean is selling some. See below from his FB page

With the new year beconning I am increasing my efforts to clear down excess transmission units & those for which I no longer have cars for. Just wondered if there are any 1600 Vitesse./Sports 6 owners looking for something special gearbox wise. I have surplus to requirements a complete 1600 Overdrive gearbox fully restored using one of my last BRAND NEW gear sets. I fitted this to a test car to sort the engine & ancillaries (Twin down draught Solex especially) for the Works …
See More
134912789_2741929436073000_8225659009331

135309205_2741929569406320_1468115669630

135002919_2741929686072975_3459386500827

When i put him in for an MOT a few weeks ago I asked the garage to change the oil and filter (i provided the filter).

I do this just because it's a messy job and they have the ramp ot make it easier.
I have developed a leak though. It's hard to say where exactly, but it could be the oil filter or the drain plug.
It could also be a little leak from the head somewhere i've always had that's got worse.
Looking at the drain plug where the oil drips from (see photo). Is that the correct plug? I'm wondering if it was lost and a modern one forced in.

IMG_0315.jpeg

follow Johns flour or talc  method to source a leak   after  a  squirt of brake cleaner     (talc smells nicer)

Paul  as you have the orig filter its very common the seal ring fits inside a groove in the block has a new one fitted over the top of the old one  there are a lot of Tee shirst for this cock up 

the groove is stepped and the seal sits down low in the groove  never gets taken out  and new one is popped in over the top of the existing 

only way is remove the filter bowl and get down and dirty to look inside the machined ring/groove 

to see just what you have 

you could try a nip on the end nut but no gorilla work  it can wreck the block if over tightend

you can fit a spin on filter kit but have to modify the rout of the crankcase breather tube 

got pictures of that if you get carried away  made from plumbing elbow  a hose will also work 

then you can do oil   changes DIY  

happy new year 

Pete

P1010008.JPG

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Paula re 1600 O/D gearbox, there's a fully rec'd one just come up on ebay maybe from TLD? starting price 250GBP buy it now 1050 can't see a reserve price quoted, the ebay item No.

I’ll go look. 
cheers!

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Nah  too noisy most have no idea of the cracks and bangs that go on when changing gears 

its all hidden by that lovely tunnel monstrosity we have all had to love at some time 

(why I changed  to  a 2000  it doesnt have one )

Pete

You have to be in the right mood to fit it, that's for sure. 5 mins meditation before