Looking for a spitfire

21 minutes ago, poppyman said:

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-classic-car-oil-20w50-5l/p/0342792

This stuff has good reports, and has all additives that our engines need. Someone told me it is the same as Halfords. I use it in one of my cars with no problem and keeps good oil pressure at tickover.

Do you think that's better than the Comma oil, or just another option? 

Iv'e used the Wilko stuff for a few years and it's always held good oil pressure (slightly better than a beez kneez oil, I tried!). I think I read that it was a bit low on zzzzd's though?. Probably fine in normal use?.

Are your engine mounts causing a problem?. Mine have looked a bit dodgy for years, though still doing the job. Repro ones have a bad name I think?. 

Same with susp bushes. Mine looked knackered, (bulging at the ends), though if originals, are often fine for years where it matters (found this out after I replaced with Poly's).

Just mentioning, as I think you are on a budget?.

Dave

Edited by daverclasper

7 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Are your engine mounts causing a problem?

It's not that they're causing a problem so much as I don't want them to fail and cause a load more expense. Drivers side in particular looks really bad to me, but I'll post a picture to see what you think later. I will only replace them if I need to, although I expect when you see the picture you'll say don't drive it till they're done... 

Dave,

I noticed that! Halford Heritage 20/50 runs higher than Millers super duper. Doubtless an oil head will be along shortly to tell us why lower is better!

Chris,

The problem is new ones can be poor quality and don't last long, just months sometimes. Supplier recommendations are the thing, unfortunately I haven't replaced mine for 30 years and have no recommendations! Pictures would be good.

Doug

The engine mounts don't generally break - the metal and rubber separate and you get clutch judder (or that's how mine manifested). The engine won't drop as the V shape they're held in keeps them in place. Easiest thing to do is lever the engine with a pry bar and see if the mount separates.

Gully

7 minutes ago, Gully said:

The engine mounts don't generally break - the metal and rubber separate and you get clutch judder (or that's how mine manifested). The engine won't drop as the V shape they're held in keeps them in place. Easiest thing to do is lever the engine with a pry bar and see if the mount separates.

Gully

In that case I'll probably leave them as they are for now and replace them if the car starts driving badly. At the moment it seems to drive really well so I guess they're OK. I might check with a pry bar anyway though. 

I'm also thinking about replacing the oil pressure and water temp sensors to be sure that they're reading correctly. 

1 hour ago, chris.eg said:

I'm also thinking about replacing the oil pressure and water temp sensors to be sure that they're reading correctly. 

Do they read? If so, leave them be and just get used to what is normal for your car. They are never more than indication as they aren't calibrated.

If they don't work, then that is a different story!

Agree with Gully, Mark and Dave! Gauges and sensors come as pairs, replace with the wrong one and THEN your in trouble! Replacement is not necessary unless they have obviously failed. If you suspect the temperature gauge you should also check the fuel gauge, both run off a voltage stabiliser which is a common thing to fail. 

Doug

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

If you suspect the temperature gauge you should also check the fuel gauge, both run off a voltage stabiliser which is a common thing to fail. 

Actually, that may be it. My fuel gauge has not shown full yet, despite filling to when the pump automatically stops. I wondered to start with whether that was because the shape of the tank made the pump stop too soon, but looking in the filler cap I don't think that's the case. What should the voltage from the stabiliser be? Do they sometimes not produce the correct voltage, or more of a works or doesn't sort of thing?

Voltage Stabiliser should output around 10 volts, you should see this on one side of each gauge. The VS is physically located on the back of the speedo (why!) and fiddly to get at. Replacements are cheap enough, traditional or electronic. Electronic £10 on Ebay.

Doug

In that case, I'll drop both sensors and engine mounts from my list and just get the service kit, thermostat (and gasket), water pump and some oil - probably the Comma off Amazon as I have one or two other things to get there anyway so postage will be free.

Then, I'll investigate the voltage stabiliser and wiring behind the dash while I'm about it and get one off eBay if neccessary.

Recently my battery seems to have been ok when I start the car (perhaps just that it's warmer) but a few times - and once persistently - the starter engages, turns the engine fairly smartly a couple of times, then disengages and whirs uselessly. Is this fairly normal considering age, bad solenoid or perhaps worn teeth on the pinion/flywheel? Really hope not the latter...

Chris,

A common fault is the Bendix is not moving freely on the starter motor shaft. There's a lot of muck in the bell housing and the shaft gets filthy. Clean it up, DON'T grease it, this just attracts more dirt. Graphite is a good lubricant, clean it up and then see where you are.

Doug

7 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

A common fault is the Bendix is not moving freely on the starter motor shaft. There's a lot of muck in the bell housing and the shaft gets filthy.

So is the starter probably never fully engaging? I assume that means damage to the teeth is being caused every time this happens, so best do something about it...

Also, could someone confirm that if the engine mounts fail, there's unlikely to be major damage caused? I just really don't want to do a load of expensive damage 😕 Speaking of which, I guess I'd better have a look at the trunions and clean out a grease gun to oil them.

Chris,

No. The bendiix is not sliding up and down the shaft smoothly just clean it up, unlikely there's any damage to the flywheel.

I think Gully has already said what will happen if the engine mounting rubber splits. You will know it's happened but no mechanical disaster. 

Yes, oil your trunnions.

Doug

11 hours ago, chris.eg said:

a few times - and once persistently - the starter engages, turns the engine fairly smartly a couple of times, then disengages and whirs uselessly.

I'm sure Doug's explanation is right but I'd always put this down to the engine firing once. The Bendix starter is designed to be disengaged by the engine spinning up under its own power. Normally, this happens as it starts and all is well. If, however, you get one cylinder firing a bit feebly but the next one not, the first will have disengaged the starter and then the engine stops. The starter is still spinning but the Bendix gear is withdrawn so it's doing nothing. Certainly, I've only ever had the problem on cars that tended not to "burst" into life.

• Thanks 1

I would say if its spinning and wont  re engage its worth a wash ,  use something like petrol to wash the bendix and the pinion

Graphite dust is a good idea,  but when new they are fitted dry.  No oil or grease ever.

You can sand graphite from a pencil lead but dont get sanding  grit mixed in  with it  use a wet and dry so particles of sand are well attached  to the  paper  

Do your trunions look to  have been oiled  , if they have been greased you need to make a job of remove caliper and hub/disc to allow  to removal of the trunion to  clean the grease out  its an oil bath , grease wont work well

Pete

Petrol will wash off the Bendix drive, but then how to dispose of a toxic, inflammable liquid?   The best way is to burn it off in an old tin can, but that's smokey and involves fire.   

Brake cleaner evaporates much more quickly, leaving the dirt trapped on newspaper, or else any water soluble degreaser can wash it down the drain.   You would have to go out any buy any of these, but they are so useful!    

And today, sanding down a pencil lead, Peter?   Little pots of graphite powder are available as "lock lubricant".  Just Google for 'graphite powder'.

John