Looking for a spitfire

Re the journey home. May I suggest you find a service area after a short distance (20 miles or so) and have a look under the bonnet, re-check oil and look for leaks. Tyre pressures are a good call before you set off too. Plus brake/clutch fluids.

Then check again after another hour or so. 

Now, not sure if this is an overdrive equipped car, but I will counter Colins advice about speed on the motorway. 50 is too slow and potentially dangerous as lorries are going to be going at 56mph. So that is a better speed. I would also suggest getting headlights on for the motorway, it helps with others seeing you. Out cars seem to be invisible to many.

But a sorted spitfire that you are confident in will happily travel at the speed limits and beyond. But that confidence should be backed up with checks and knowledge that everything is working correctly, decent (not old) tyres and so on.

9 minutes ago, clive said:

May I suggest you find a service area after a short distance (20 miles or so)

I will definitely be making frequent stops to check that sort of thing :) If I did for need to put oil in, presumably I should put more or less the thickest oil I can get at a motorway services?

Also, I don't know exactly what the tyre pressure should be but guessing around 30psi?

about 25 years ago, I bought a 64 rover 2000 from a guy in truro, I took the train from Newcastle, and a big bag of tools honestly I could hardly lift it. bought the car and drove back to my friends in Minehead, stayed the night, had to buy a new battery as the original was dead. it was mid winter and freezing, I drove it all the way back north and the head gasket blew just 5 miles from home so it got me there ok. great memory now and yes I would do it again.

good luck today chris and I really hope it goes well.

1 hour ago, chris.eg said:

I will definitely be making frequent stops to check that sort of thing :) If I did for need to put oil in, presumably I should put more or less the thickest oil I can get at a motorway services?

Also, I don't know exactly what the tyre pressure should be but guessing around 30psi?

Suggest you get 5 litres 20/50 oil before you start your journey . Halfords / Wilco 20/50 is ok . Can also be used to top up your dash pots . A decanting pot would be useful to measure and pour , an empty plastic milk bottle would suffice. Also carry spare water again empty milk bottle would be ok 

Paul 

40 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Suggest you get 5 litres 20/50 oil before you start your journey . Halfords / Wilco 20/50 is ok

There is a halfords right near the car, so I'll get some oil there. So I really want 5 litres of halfords oil though? I suppose I really don't want to not have enough...

You will use it when you change the oil....

Unless you want something better if doing a lot of motorway driving, or driving the car like it should be (!) then you will want a quality oil. Halfords etc classic is rather basic....but fairly cheap. For an emergency topup, any oil is better than none.

Whether Halfords 20/50 is suitable depends on the engine. I've usually found it doesn't last long (although there are many worse) but that's fine if you have more trouble with leaks than pressure (my GT6 uses oil but has outrageously good pressure, so cheaper oil is reasonable). If you have poor pressure but not much consumption - or if the engine is really good, no leaks, no lack of pressure - then I'd recommend a better quality oil. But since you won't know which you have until you've owned the  car for a while, I'd get the 5L of Halfords 20/50 anyway.

4 hours ago, clive said:

Now, not sure if this is an overdrive equipped car, but I will counter Colins advice about speed on the motorway. 50 is too slow and potentially dangerous as lorries are going to be going at 56mph. So that is a better speed.

T'was but a thought, 56 makes more sense, what I was getting at was not to rev the guts out of it at high motorway speeds until all gremlins have been ironed out, but it's a compromise between steady, sensible driving in one direction on a motorway (inside lane so as not to hold anyone else back!) as opposed to twisty, winding B-roads which will find every defect in steering and suspension before you ever get the car home.

Like everyone else here I'm waiting to hear the verdict and how it performs under Chris' new ownership.

• Like 1

So, it looks like the spitfire will be living outside, at least for now. The roof seems watertight (although I don't see how the tops of the windows will keep much rain out?) but there is a bit of rust on the rear arches which I don't really want to get any worse... Presumably some sort of cover is my best bet, at least as a temporary measure? Does anyone know of a good one that's not too expensive?

I was looking at this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAIN-DEFENCE-WATERPROOF-BREATHABLE-COVER-FOR-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-1962-1980/253270712068?hash=item3af81c5f04:g:D-AAAOSwhVxaEwNj:rk:6:pf:0

When I get a chance for a tinker with the car I need to solve an electrical problem where the headlights turn off when switching to main beams. They work in the flashing position though, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the switch at the end of the stalk.

The stalk has some contacts in it which take the full current of the lights - so can either burn out or corrode in general or simply go weak. 

The switches are not available as such - but you can get a lhs one that with the mounting bracket from you old switch can be swapped over. But the stencil on the stalk is not always the right way round when you switch it. 

Club shop sell hamilton covers , one of the best .

All covers can damage the paint , with trapped damp and wind movements 

May be a simple top cover for the roof /screen is a better option, to keep  rain out of the interior, and if removed whilst wet its a lot easier to 

hang out to dry, and they cant rough up the paint , just covers the roof and glass

Pete

I reckon that's a good call on a 'top only' cover - my GT6 lives under a dry car port, but the first winter I owned it I thought I'd protect it further with a breathable car cover. Result - microblistered paint which seems to scare off paint shops (just had a stupidly high quotation to prep and respray).

Gully

• Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 23:03, Anglefire said:

but you can get a lhs one that with the mounting bracket from you old switch can be swapped over.

lhs = left hand side? My headlight stalk is on the left anyway, so not quite sure what you mean by this? I expect I'm being dense...

Regarding the cover, the main reason I want to do something to protect the car is that there are some areas of rust (mainly the rear arches) which I don't want to spread before I can sort them out and figured keeping the rain off would be a good help with that. The hood actually seems to keep rain out but I think it needs a bit more testing before I'm confident of that...