Looking for a spitfire

its back to all the pencils i nicked from school and brake cleaner wasnt invented when i was apprentice or when bendix starters were common 

when youre on the side of the road in your best shirt and its raining....it was petrol   .......H &S didnt exist....  

I do use BC  it in a dedicated  pump spray and buy BC from the factors at £8 for 5 ltrs   wonderful stuff  .... thats progress

Pete

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Northern Ireland are a model for the safe disposal of inflammable liquids - we should all note their expertise.

...and believe it or not, many of those involved in throwing them see themselves as 'green'.... :)

(BTW Paul, the photo is actually from Zimbabwe.... that way, there's little or no likelihood of it being a club member....)

France is quite funny in that they all wear the yellow jackets; my first thought was: if these are all the 'security' where are the actual rioters?

On a slightly unrelated note, my Spitfire came with a really old Haynes manual covering up to '78. It's a sort of grey colour and anything to do with mk4 and 1500 is in an appendix at the end. Are the blue ones that cover all model years organised differently? If they're much better I may look for one second hand, but if it's the same except with a blue cover I obviously won't bother 😛

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

full factory reprint from club shop £27  put one on your christmas wish list  you can read it in the little room for some peace

Seems a good plan...

I get the impression that the Haynes manual is a bit more 'beginner friendly' whereas the factory manual is better if you know what you're doing. Is that true?

In other news, the parts I ordered arrived today :) The service kit I ordered included points and a condensor (as well as a second free oil filter...) Would it be wise to replace them or only change if there seems to be a problem? The engine seems to run really well except for a strange, quiet ticking/rattling noise which I don't know where it's from so I don't really want to do anything unnecessary/detrimental.

Both have place, even the triumph wsm does often  leave out the one little  clue you seek  Haynes will give ways around things without 

the idea of special tools   is aimed at DIY.

The factory wsm gives more data and better clues as to why and what

Armed with both is good ,  online download are excellent but  not always portable 

As for what to service , if you start from scratch you have a date to keep a service schedule , 

But if things are sound , check  the  settings and move on .keep the parts for a next time, filters best changed with the oil maybe at the start of each motoring season  so theres an annual   rhythm

Pete.

I'd second what Pete says about using both the WSM and the Haynes manual. I also find a parts catalogue (available from the club shop) invaluable at showing the order in which components should be assembled, as opposed to how the last person who took it apart thought looked OK. It'll also provide you with correct part numbers to help you cross-reference with the offerings provided by our various spares suppliers.  

Wayne

• Thanks 1

I have Haynes, InterEurope and a Haynes carburetor manual. The Haynes does have errors in it, mine has the diff ratios confused and the wiring diagrams are incorrect. There are also areas where it's vague which is why I have the other two. Do I have to give the InterEurope back after Brexit? (Boom! Boom!)

I would really, really like a WSM, I had one for my old mini, I rebuilt it's gearbox knowing nothing and just following instructions. I keep dropping hints. If only there were some event coming up where my family had to buy me a present. 

Doug

Doug, is there not one on the Vitessesteve website? OK, PDF but you can print the odd bit off.

I ought to find all my workshop manuals. Not sure what I still have..... A very tatty Toledo and Spitfire one (bought that in 1989, when I got my first spit. Surprised I got another Triumph after that!) Plus probably a few others . Idid have the GT6/Vitesse one, plus parts book. And they are REALLY useful,

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:26, Pete Lewis said:

full factory reprint from club shop £27  put one on your christmas wish list  you can read it in the little room for some peace

Sorry Pete, it must be a long time since you bought one!

Clive,

Spurred into action I've phoned Angie at the club shop and ordered a WSM £34.95 plus postage. No.1 daughter will then wrap the book, give me money and I'll get a WSM for Christmas!

Doug

• Like 1

Without announcing myself Angie recognises me, which tells me I'm spending too much money in the club shop!

My brother's getting Warrior work gloves, they're like the Nitrile gloves only more robust. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-Work-Gloves-NB11-Size-11-Nylon-pack-of-12/263813016359?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Doug

Had another assault on the coolant drain plug today but didn't really get anywhere. Seems well and truly blocked and I'm not about to take the head off just to sort that, so for now it'll have to stay blocked. There was a thermostat fitted but without a hole or jiggle pin so I swapped it for the one I ordered. By the time I'd given up on the drain plug it was getting dark so I refilled with water and the water pump will have to be a job for next weekend.

Do I understand correctly that any grease gun will do to oil the trunnions? I've ordered a couple of 90 degree grease nipples which look like they should make the job easier :)

Oh, and the heater is still not working 😥