Oil starvation

daverclasper

It will be fine my 53 minx would fly up,and down   just pop into  1st gear before you approach the hair pin , as it approaches  suddenly

Get the power on and wind it round the corner,

Exmoor hills are a surprise to many , use gears not brakes,  Countisbury drops steeply for a few miles ,  into  Lynmouth and easy to get fade   then  Linton  Is another wide corner and up she goes   2nd gear will probably invoke a stall

Its easy , treat with  respect  get down the gears use plenty of power,  no tickling , needs some attack mode

Seen so many plod up the easy bit in 3rd and stall then everyone has to stop and practice a 1in 4 hill start

Most have no idea,  if you walk through Porlock you can smell the burnt clutches and cooked brakes 

Brilliant   places around, are you on  holiday 

Pete

thats v v wimpish hill,

be a gud,n for a hillclimb though

although no an A roads, no even a B roads,

there quite a few B roads aroond here, as steep, but no as long

But Hardnot an Wryno,s are C roads, they quite a challenge t,cars

but even moer so fora Bus !!!

can tell ye all now, It did,nt doo it, as the   really bad bends start frae there  onwards!!

as its hard enough ina car,

an Van

It really is steep, an this van aint even got to the .. err lets say, the good bits,!!

3.25 is where the van got stuck, list to engine note an tyre squeel,

there 3 passes all  in  same area

an 4 others wid,in a few miles

Ohh, just mek sure yer oil level is OK

M

Like hardknott   went up in my brand new Imp straight out the showroom (1968)

It was running in at the bottom and run in by the time we got to the top

You have to be a bit nuts to  attempt the climb / corners in a ....Bus   dont they read the signs !!

Once helped aguy with a CA Bedford towing a 14' Musketeer  had a roll back jack knifed after a stall up Linton, , had to disconnect the caravan hope the brakes worked and turn them around  blocked the road for an hour.   

Hills and joe soap dont mix

I also did it back in the day in a Hillman Imp also several times for fun on a Triumph 650cc. When you are born and brought up in Derbyshire you don't need the 'flat'. Anything less than 1 in 5 counted as flat.

Seeing these videos brought back fond memories. Thanks for posting.

The worst situation for a Triumph Six is downhill with the brakes on.     Angled that way and braking can throw all the oil into the shallow front of the sump, away from the pickup.  The Gooseneck down to Mansfield at Cadwell is an engine killer that way .

A "surface plate" in the sump, which sits just below the lip of the shallow part, level with the resting oil level, and contacts the sump wall there, can prevent this, even under competition conditions.   But you don't want to modify your engine just for this trip, and you won't be braking hard from speed up or down Hard Knott (I hope!)!

You'll be fine!   Enjoy the drive!  It's  a challenge that your Vitesse will meet easily!

John

Having watched Markus's lovely video of the pass reminded me of an interesting event about 4 years ago.

It was a very very wet week-end in the Lakes and decided to go over Hardknot in the 4A.

On the lower Boot section I spotted a Ford TRansit and large trailer ahead of me. It was stationery  on a corner.

I stopped about 50 yds back.

The driver and pax got out - scratched heads and proceeded to unhook the trailer. At this point they were on a 1:8 slope.

The trailer took off, the pax being dragged along behind, not letting go. The rear offside corner hit a drystone wall and stopped - the pax continued until he caught up with the trailer .

And then he stopped with a thump.  The other side of the trailer was a 200ft drop - not vertical but it wouldn;t have mattered.

At this point I did something stupid. I decided to help them.

They wanted to rotate the trailer 90 degrees to point towards a rough drive way into a field.

I'm holding the tow bar, the loons at the back. It is now at 45 degrees. The wall is now not stopping it and I am straining to pull this trailer up a rough slightly inclined path.

The two loons then appeared on by my shoulder - they had let go and i had the all the weight. I spoke to them in old english to return and push..

It would appear they were taking a short cut to an Ambleside fete with stunt motorbikes in the trailer. Because of the rain the roads were wash and the TRansit lost all grip.

Utter madness,

Roger

Did the Hardknott and Wrynose in the estate shortly after running in, mostly in first gear. The engine has the so-called "suicide" Spitfire 1500 oil pump pick up (back of sump). Which apparently can give starvation under hard braking or down hills. However, no issues, checked oil level before and tried to avoid rapid changes in speed. Never saw oil pressure dip. Enjoy the drive.

P.S. Also got clipped doing this, as someone going downhill decided not to give way...

bends.jpg

going_up.jpg

People used to drive up and down the Porlock/Lynmouth/Lynton combo in our cars all the time back in the day - just expect to spend most of your time in first going up most of the hills and I'd certainly go for third to come down, tempted by second.

If you are worried you can wimp out of Porlock hill and take the private toll road.

Remember taking the bus up across from Porlock to Lynmouth back in probably the 80s and they were still using some 60s bus - as they couldn't find anyone selling a replacement with a super-low ratio box.  Remember you had to stop at the top and bottom of each hill while the driver worked it up/down through the box to get to the lowest gears.

apart from the Toll road thers also the road up from porlock wier to culbone  worthy toll road  but dont think tolls are collected now ?

this is a good challenge  get a curry at the ship inn in P Wier.

if youre down that way another good view is find  the steep   run up to North Hill   in  Minehead

Pete

Tarr Steps is a good ford if you like to chance wet feet, best stick to being pedestrian,

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tarr+Steps+Clapper+Bridge,+Dulverton+TA22+9PY/@51.0772476,-3.8978361,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x486dc5a1fabf9ec9:0x335bd50e6f5a4433!8m2!3d51.077136!4d-3.6176739

on the way to minehead is bilbrook ford  the longest in UK   , not deep great fun   river runs down the lane for a long way 

http://www.englishfords.co.uk/_photo_13411255.html

tour guide Pete

21 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Tarr Steps is a good ford if you like to chance wet feet, best stick to being pedestrian,

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tarr+Steps+Clapper+Bridge,+Dulverton+TA22+9PY/@51.0772476,-3.8978361,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x486dc5a1fabf9ec9:0x335bd50e6f5a4433!8m2!3d51.077136!4d-3.6176739

on the way to minehead is bilbrook ford  the longest in UK   , not deep great fun   river runs down the lane for a long way 

http://www.englishfords.co.uk/_photo_13411255.html

tour guide Pete

Hello All

We have one of those fords in our area just outside Wolverhampton and it was often used by the organisers of our Vintage Motorcycle Club runs!

I do not think it has a footpath or we all have ridden along it! it was just loose gravel and there was no way you wanted to put your feet down and have wet boots all day.

The sadists amongst use would plan routes that included a ford or 2 (I remember one run and there was 3 within 2 to 3 miles) I think it was one of my runs!  

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed in Porlock over the weekend. The hill was closed anyway due to snow etc.  Some good driving roads around there though.

Only spoiled by the person who walked on my roof in the night.  4 areas dented a bit. Surprised as a very quite village and slightly well to do.

I live in an area of Bristol that has a bit of a rep and no problems in 5 years of it parked in the street.

Dave  

Edited by daverclasper
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Surprised as a very quite village and slightly well to do.

Often the worst sort, some of the more well-off types that we meet seem to have a high opinion of themselves, that they can do what they want and that awful law only applies to the more common plebs.

Sorry to hear about the damage!

Samual Taylor Coleridge had a similar problem with a person from Porlock.

A savage place! as holy and enchanted 
As e’er beneath a waning moon was haunted 
By woman wailing for her demon-lover! 

And all should cry, Beware! Beware! 
His flashing eyes, his floating hair! 
Weave a circle round him thrice, 
And close your eyes with holy dread 
For he on honey-dew hath fed, 
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

But then Coleridge was a coke head by then.
John