Bottle jack or Scissor jack

iana

I need to maximise the space in the vitesse boot for camping weekends - Im considering moving the tools and jack to inside the spare wheel well. The jack supplied by triumph was a scissor jack, howvever a bottle jack is more compact, are bottle jacks a viable option or am I better sticking with a scissor jack.

Thanks both, I hadn’t thought about the limited rise on the bottle jack or the oil leakage so I’ll stick with the scissor jack.  I’ll source a replacement winding handle as there’s not one in the car.

Never EVER, NEVER, trust a scissor jack! Do moderns have scissor jacks? No they don't! There is a reason why, they are dangerous! Once you've had one collapse or topple over you will understand, but before that happens to you, be warned, they are the Devil's tool.

I have a small bottle jack that fits and a trolley jack for the garage. 

Doug

• Like 1

Doug I agree trolley jack for the garage every time.

I’ve never really like scissor jacks or their type but it’s for road side wheel changing. I’d thought about a bottle jack for compactness (something like a Halfords 2t)

I think some moderns still come with jacks and for those that dont its more because they dont have a spare wheel in an effort to save weight, costs and fuel. However its true these jacks are not the safest of tools and great care is needed using them to change a wheel especially as its usually done under awkward circumstances (by the roadside, in the dark, on uneven surfaces?). I always keep the spare wheel under the car while jacking so if the worst happens theres something to stop it crashing onto the ground.....

2 hours ago, johny said:

Ive always found bottle jacks to have a very limited travel so for our cars with the swing axles there can be a problem getting the rear wheels off the ground..... 

Even without swing axles! Back when I was a lad, we had a Commer Wanderer motorcaravan. The base van was designed to take a great big jack that slotted into holes in the chassis, but that was dead (thread stripped) so dad improvised with a crow bar and bottle jack. It worked on a test run at home but when, in the middle of France, we woke up to find a flat tyre, the bottle jack didn't have enough travel to cope with the combined suspension travel and tyre depth.

Thats a good one, we had to test the jack points on the Commer PB 

Load it with a 1ton on test blocks and jack  to max height overnight ,  with the wind up jack in the hope it hadnt collapsed in the morning

Early motor homes with wide body the conversion (cant remember who's)  just extended the jack leg , not the underframe tube   they collapsed and wrecked the  side panel

That caused some red faces,  

Pete

1 minute ago, johny said:

surely you must have carried some blocks with you to get the jack to the right height?

No the bottle jack was supplied with the the LC and fitted in a rear side panel . I think it was rated for 3 tonnes and had about 4 extension rams . Needed a flat surface so always carried a short section of scaffolding board , thankfully never needed it on the road 

Paul 

I definitely wouldn’t trust a scissor jack, particularly a Triumph one, having seen one collapse under my teenage mates Triumph Toledo while replacing a front disc.

Many of the bottle jacks have the screw up top to increase lift, and looking at a few of those on the MachineMart site there are quite a few with high degree of lift.

I would still be inclined to Cary a section of board to set the jack on to ensure stability.

As you can probably tell I’m very nervous about working with just a jack, even if it is just changing a tyre.

Karl

The trouble is the list of items to carry in our limited boots starts expanding: jack, board, axle stand. All for something that these days, taking how many miles the average Triumph does, is a very rare occurrence.....

46 minutes ago, Bordfunker said:

I definitely wouldn’t trust a scissor jack, particularly a Triumph one, having seen one collapse under my teenage mates Triumph Toledo while replacing a front disc.

Jacks are only for limited use ie changing a tyre at the roadside, NOT for home mechanics. That's what axle stands are for. I'd trust a jack for the designed purpose, and little else.

We had a farmer 'pancaked' by a full slurry tanker / trailer when he tried to prop it up on a lane to change a flat wheel, and it rolled clean over him. Not a pleasant sight. His jack was not designed to take the weight of a full trailer, but would have been adequate for an empty one.

41 minutes ago, johny said:

The trouble is the list of items to carry in our limited boots starts expanding: jack, board, axle stand. All for something that these days, taking how many miles the average Triumph does, is a very rare occurrence.....

Sounds like an argument for two Triumphs to carry everything!

Karl

Apart from the jack stuff I carry 3 spanners pliers , some tyraps, amd some wire , twomscrewdrivers

If you cant fix it with those its call the cavalry

Some locals have more in the car than I have in the shed and wonder why its down in power and poor on fuel

Simple fix remove 1/2 ton of uselessness,...... get a life .....  have faith in your car 

Pete

I have enough in the boot to strip down and fix alot of stuff along with a haynes manual. Wish I had the knowledge to fix all those things. Still, at least with a Haynes manual, any young breakdown person has a reasonable chance of getting me going as I suppose the WSM won't be on the computer. Maybe the club shop could try to clone and minuturise Uncle Pete to fit in a tool roll. That would be a best seller? Hummm!!!

Luckily ive only use breakdown twice first in 1964 the  52Minx had a fuel blockage the AA Man on motor bike and side car

Stripped the carb then advise now was the time to  join .... clever that .

2nd was in 2010  the Vit6 when the front diff plate bolt came out and locked the  propshaft   care of a reputable exchange unit with the wrong  non wedgelock  bolts fitted   and me not  dressed  for out  and  under  .

I needed a tow home (sisters can be useful) when not far from home sheared the  diff  output  shaft on my  rusty    59   948

So a small clone wont be much use  !!!!!

Pete