Vitesse Mk1 seat adjustment

Paul Marshall

Just confirmed in both of my cars that have seats in... both have the adjusters to the outside.

Sad thing is, it was me fitted them both years ago... I'm not sure how the GT6 one will fit if I swap it over, given the flaring of the gearbox tunnel that has the inner runner flush to the carpet leaving little or no room for the adjusting lever.

DSCF6920.jpg.046b846c4b6ff0fe0569230048d237a4.jpg  DSCF6919.jpg.a20caeb4f7ad597dce1a4571643f1ee5.jpg

I assume so Johnny and I'll probably leave them as they are, although the estate seats ( the red ones) need to come out in the near future anyway so I'll appraise it then. I find it quite easy to adjust them with the door open as I can lean sideways (not when the car is moving, Pete!) and access to the lever is much easier than trying to feel for it with my head stuck against the steering wheel.

Incidentally a workmate of mine wrote his VW Polo off many years ago when a passenger queried a wobble in the steering; he leaned out of the driver's door whilst driving in an attempt to check the front wheel. He fell out and the car plus passenger continued on, ending up in a field.

My Vitesse frames must be back to front as mine are on the outside,handy as was said to hold the seat up against the windscreen if you need to.

Must be my fault as i bought the car when i was 19 in 1985,seats have been in and out countless times.

I put Bond seats in it a couple of years ago,much better,the Vitesse seats now reside in my Herald.(also back to front).

S

When I got my Vit, the vinyl had worn/torn, where seat had pushed hard past the A post.

The seat bracket bolts were not positioned so the seat would move inwards when tilted.

Fitted correctly and the seats still snag a bit on A post, though quite handy, as with Johny.

Dave  

Edited by daverclasper

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm not sure how the GT6 one will fit if I swap it over, given the flaring of the gearbox tunnel

Just been and checked, helps avoid Poldark, and on mine the lever is on the outer side as as well.  There is no room to get your hand between the seat and the tunnel but because the seats are not symetrical, with only the outer side having that lateral support squab, there is no room to reach the lever. 

That's good to know, Dick and Johnny (and Paul who posted the definitive evidence just as I replied!) - I think the GT6 frames are shaped and it's only possible to fit them in one orientation. As for the Herald, well I've a bit of adjustment to do to the floor so the seats will be coming out and then I'll see what option I prefer. I'm not worried about rear seat passengers as to date there hasn't been one since my Coupe back in around 2005... she's too old now to go with me to shows.

22 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

bet theres not the same level of Fun or  Banter or Pee take on the Maserati forum  ????????????

they would never own up to something like seat blocks

Pete

Most of the contributors are from the US with a preponderance of questions on how to make their cars go faster or make more noise.

Humour is in short supply. When someone was bewailing the quality of Lucas electrical parts I posted up "Why do the English drink warm beer. Probably because Lucas mad the fridges"  Produced no replies at all.

The Rolls Royce and Bentley forum is more entertaining only because the volunteer directors have lost £400k in two years and spent £130k on a website that doesn't work!

Paul

2 hours ago, Paul Marshall said:

Humour is in short supply.

It's the language barrier. I have in the past written articles or posted replies that had just a little throwaway remark in them, only to find someone from across the pond writing me a very detailed and lengthy  - and totally serious - reply explaining the thing I was making a joke about. A classic example was when I happened to mention that flat tyres are great in that the flat bit automatically goes to the bottom, so your car is less likely to roll away when you're working on it. I think I got a page and a half reply on that one explaining gravity, the weight of the car and tyre density.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I think I got a page and a half reply on that one explaining gravity, the weight of the car and tyre density.

Well, I think I could make a repost around those natural phenomena faintly amusing, maybe he was extracting the Michael? :) Americans can be funny and we have our own share of pedants over here.

db

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

maybe he was extracting the Michael? :)

No, it started off with "I don't really understand your idea that the flat part of the tyre naturally rotates to the bottom, the flat part is due to the weight of the car being no longer supported and therefore will extend the footprint of the underinflated tyre to a greater extent that it will when inflated" and more in  that vein. I wish I'd kept it.

If it was humorous, it went straight over my head. In fact if it was humorous, it was American. Aren't we humourous?

13 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

No, it started off with "I don't really understand your idea that the flat part of the tyre naturally rotates to the bottom, the flat part is due to the weight of the car being no longer supported and therefore will extend the footprint of the underinflated tyre to a greater extent that it will when inflated" and more in  that vein. I wish I'd kept it.

If it was humorous, it went straight over my head. In fact if it was humorous, it was American. Aren't we humourous?

I think i would have written back explaining the pro's and con's of rotating the wheel half a turn so that the flat part stays at the top :) 

Tony.