Fan Always On

watsona6

sounds like you have an electric fan which isnt standard fitment. This makes it more complicated because you dont know how its been wired up so I would first work out how this has been done and do a drawing. Once you know this you can work out if its been connected correctly and where the fault might be....

The cars never came with electric fans, so every one could be wired in differently. So some do have manual over-ride switches. And yes, it is possible it has been wired so it comes on with the ignition.

You need to follow the wires carefully, one (earth) is likely to connect to the chassis, and teh other will hopefully go to a relay, and then to a switch and/or thermostatic switch. The relay is also fed by a permanent live wire from a fuse. Or should be.

But who knows exactly how it was fitted. If somebody was getting an overheating issue (real or perceived) they may have decided to have the fan on all the time the car was running. Not a good idea in reality.

Thanks to all. It runs when the engine is started as opposed to the ignition being on. When the engine is off and I turn the fan the belt (see pic) doesn’t move. I’d like to get it running as it should be so, going to source and fit the correct overflow bottle for the rad and I’ll try and work out what the OP has done with the fan set up. Pic below might give some better ideas. Appreciated. 

7A49C040-69B3-4526-A9EF-C089A5AB2D55.jpeg

• Haha 1

That looks like a standard mechanical fan with a viscous coupling. It is turned by the fan belt so will always be turning when the engine is running, unlike a modern electric fan. The viscous coupling simply slows the fan at high revs. This is totally normal for a late 1500. The green tubes appear to be overflows from the carbs again normal. The overflow bottle is missing and should sit on the drivers side chassis leg in front of the radiator, I wouldn't be too concerned as Heralds didn't have one (I think) and really all that happens is when the rad heats up water expands and enters the bottle. Then when it cools it sucks the same amont back in so it should be full anyway when hot even without the bottle if filled cold. The bottle and bracket are pretty cheap anyway.

Yes agree thats  a  std viscous fan  its  goo and paddle priciple the goo apportions the drive by dragging the paddles round,

Air temperature changes the goo and between temperature and  the  rpm of the drive changes the drive to make best use of 

Engine power and cooling .

There is no electrical its purely mechanical

You  will be better off read your new manual front to back and back to front and get to know your car

You got us  all excited and now we are snoozed  Ha !

Pete

ah fan mystery resolved and things are looking better - definitely a case of a picture is worth a 1000 words! No expert on viscous couplings but would imagine that with the engine off and cold the fan should turn easily by hand but with the engine just turned off hot after a good run, the fan will be harder to turn by hand. This is important as believe these couplings can fail and then affect cooling at slow speeds....

16 hours ago, watsona6 said:

Ha ha. Are you watching me?! I have a 5 year old and he is never out of the car! There isn’t a fan switch though is there?!

You mentioned on an earlier post you had a five year old haha, so not stalking you.  Glad your fan is sorted Andy, you are a true beginer with cars...  :)  Dont let that put you off, as jonny say's a picture is worth a thousand words. When you get your workshop manual read it every chance you get, but start with simple things. Your mechanic will probably know what you are able to do by yourself? I had one or two customers that used to love having a play.  One word of warning, if you cock something up? and cant fix it? Tell your mechanic exactly what you have done..... He will thank you for telling him..  :) 

Tony,  

Cheers. True beginner - yep but keen to learn. Generally have an idea of my limitations.... I’m not so bad with electrics so plan to remove, improve and reinstall the dash myself. May try and wire a stereo up too but not too sure what I want to do speaker wise. Might just stick with the headphones. I’ll repair the hood and repair the door mechanism. Think I’ll leave the locks that don’t work but unsure how that impacts on insurance? I’m lucky in that the mechanic works for the firm I manage. If I took some time off work I’m sure he would spend the day showing me some of the more basic mechanical tasks. Haynes arrives tomorrow so will be some bed time reading. Probably start with the passenger door pages!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, watsona6 said:

Cheers. True beginner - yep but keen to learn. Generally have an idea of my limitations.... I’m not so bad with electrics so plan to remove, improve and reinstall the dash myself. May try and wire a stereo up too but not too sure what I want to do speaker wise. Might just stick with the headphones. I’ll repair the hood and repair the door mechanism. Think I’ll leave the locks that don’t work but unsure how that impacts on insurance? I’m lucky in that the mechanic works for the firm I manage. If I took some time off work I’m sure he would spend the day showing me some of the more basic mechanical tasks. Haynes arrives tomorrow so will be some bed time reading. Probably start with the passenger door pages!!

I found the AA Book of the Car very useful and educational, helped me a great deal in understanding how my Vitesse should work £4.50 delivered , no brainier https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AA-Book-of-the-Car-by-Jacobson-M-A-I-technical-ed-Book-The-Cheap-Fast-Free/301505246383?epid=1805409773&hash=item46331cf4af&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAAADIKvsXIZtBqdkfsZsMtzFbFsbX3WcW5fmB%2Fx7ZbaZTyexpxFaT4emAGHdahSn7Pg5%2F8xpgKPotI4cpEzMglkPSk2nf4lodWIfFLCKXULvGKDtDC8YbAO7D6dScQC3b5XklZlLf%2Fd%2BRzpTZJlAnw%2BuRUcTRGwCnVjWDKLhE0enrSMNiomDN4N3vbN1XrnEhpAyiPOysVhxc5mrH4upe56musXnTGJPadygeOZ5kuOKJUK4SZxwhnQOIDAYiS5sFHbkcndYrM%2BtgT%2BgWyjmlrZV1l4vkwc17syJrIQgs4zlB5l7Ps33oyZ%2BzIMdIi5Ae0j372KTEACRMVZV1HLhY%2FM7ztB69xcQyRNhOAw4OV3UXUJj%2BbVQzkGObSw0m6Zr8uR7o0r5E5V2A0NNng6yPDDrHW498%2F29fpwN6GTB8fMa7vaTBSt9%2Bc%2FO2loYd5giAkriyDqVmfzJYFFp3pWApLlU8ohlMgN%2BsAnJvp1OCudLnk%2FXvWmO44gY23kD208yBaEaBdnGU9bJ7hNeC4OA2WIIU3ROCuXA2Rr6gIZilPG4QxZZPid9toUASHwVDq7LtWaiF%2BILyKHoH3DqUgn9tVNFtPTjRjexP3avtBuVul1hypOxzx5in6qXyt%2BpnHq%2B%2Bn3uBzfrOZVFy37CYzP6avDZuQ5R6JNRW%2FSFNIkd3YcbfiDmhrKIIF%2FKoTCPB6NhxycDA6ZT6A%2Buk%2B%2BOld8BNtkYlOr0Od%2BoCctRu%2BXVgGt3Sy%2BIO97bgr%2FXBL8py6dU7AlmwUf05pHnlhy0T0K7mBri7VzpxM0cRyM85YjKYO8M%2FIF5A4dsM9vPp0Wfl0pYRlOE71zaRmiBadVskHmgrRXWdvOcYOYM9kala%2Franq3Vs7XkzXemaofJ1hRZktmSHwXRqqe%2BookXUX6mLpXLwRtrKyTN5%2F7m1G6SAN62FnqzqPnAsZA8SodwN964jTUohKwxY%2BoieoGKlpoJprevew%2Bylgn8ZXWNE5f5JVOqJ5WyBen1A%2BkXyz%2BOn99qfQu5vX%2Bi64QJw9T3YFHVnl59YRsKSqNDTOQUymih0G%2BCH0%2FaUf3a&checksum=301505246383baa982a0b8d043b0b1deec6f8b8bffb9

Paul 

18 hours ago, watsona6 said:

.... Might just stick with the headphones....

Hi, 

I would advise against using headphones when driving, and particularly a classic.  Apart from sirens from emergency service vehicles, you need to be listening out for any strange noises from your car's mechanicals. 

Fitting a music system with conventional speakers to our cars is not a difficult job; in fact it should be an enjoyable project.

I agree with Paul H that the AA Book of the Car is a very helpful resource (except for the section on bodging sills with chicken-wire and filler!).  

Let us know how you get on.

Tom

On 11/09/2019 at 16:21, watsona6 said:

May try and wire a stereo up too but not too sure what I want to do speaker wise. Might just stick with the headphones. 

The simple option is to have a rechargeable Bluetooth speaker in the car, then just stream music/online-radio from your phone.

Mine has an 18hr battery-life, so easily lasts a week of daily commute without needing a charge.

if you park up anywhere dodgy, just stick the speaker in the boot.

...... Andy

p.s. I do have a radio fitted, but it is just a period-ornament to fill the mounting hole!