LIDL/ALDI TOOLS

Badwolf

Ive got one of those,  it Sucks AND blows leaves all over in reverse. Some only blow.... what's the point? The wind just puts them back where they were. Mine chews them up and I compost them. Good mulch for the raspberries and strawberries and turnips and carrots etc :(

My parents lived in Montreal Canada mid 60's you know how much snow they get, he had a ride on snow blower to clean his drive and footpaths, corner block, usually just after he'd finished and driven the blower into the garage, the municipal snow blower would come round cleaning the roads and put it all back on his drive and footpaths!!

He finally got the message and paid a college lad to do it for him (I was at college in the UK, Ha!)

• 1 month later...

This week (next week?) in Lidl is a cordless soldering iron. I've never used a cordless iron myself, but the concept seems like a good idea. I'd guess that potential users follow a very, very strict HSE regime. Soldering the tabs on a set of rear brake lights, whilst in the boot, might singe your eyebrows! 

It occurred to me that a cordless tool, such as a cream-crackered  Ryobi multi-tool (other makes, both better & cheaper are available ) might be gainfully employed as a 'dumb' 18volt supply to supply things such as emergency lighting, etc. in todays world, such things are more of a distant memory, but thinking things like this allows the tight-fisted (who, me?) amongst us re-use the normally throwaway items.

I've got two items here, both Ryobi. One is a multi-tool with a single function ( ie It doesn't work), and a strimmer which doesn't strim...  Needless to say, with careful cutting, they both possess very suitable sockets for your battery of choice. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that these 'cheap' tools are actually quite good, as long as you remember that you don't exceed the rated capacity of the particular tool in question.  Just looking at the 20V tools, which have a very passing resemblance to both Makita, and certain DeWalt models. That said, I haven't tried them myself yet.

Cheers,

Ian.

5 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Ian - Soldering iron is on now (3/10/21). Next week's goodies are oil pump £9.99, power inverter ££24.99, power bank £59.99 oh yes... RedEx £4.99 plus other stuff.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/online-leaflets/07-10-13-10-lidl-weekly-235713/view/flyer/page/20

The Middle of Lidl... very snazzy. Don't think any other major retail brand could trump that... maybe the a$$ of Asda?

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Was down in LIDL this morning; they have the Impact Wrench for £24.99 but you have to buy a battery and charger on top of that, another £19.99.

The oil pump is a whopping £17.99, I bought mine for much less and thought they were on offer at present?

What are the Torque ratings for those. I tried to find out on the website. but it is unclear?. I have seen 400Nm for around £100 on`t tinterent?.

Pete

15 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Was down in LIDL this morning; they have the Impact Wrench for £24.99 but you have to buy a battery and charger on top of that, another £19.99.

The oil pump is a whopping £17.99, I bought mine for much less and thought they were on offer at present?

Colin, are you sure it isn't an impact driver? with 1/4" "drive" to take screwdriver bits? They are handy as small and light, I sometimes use one in te garage with a set of socket drive adapters. Great for doing up nut etc and then final torquing by hand.

I have a lidle 1/2 drive impact wrench. Think it was £60 with a 4ah battery and charger. That does wheel nuts up to torque with 2 dugga duggas. Undoes very tight ones OK too. (I have m12 studs/nuts, and do wheels up in excess of std torque for trackdays etc, scary when you see people with lost wheelnuts) However, it is a bit bulky.

After I boght te torque wrench, the following week they had a battery cicular saw and multi-tool in, 30 and 20 respectively but bare units. Bought both, lus extra 2ah batteries. They have done a moderate amount of work. The saw is great for floorboards but struggles on thicker stuff. However, it cuts 40mm worktop OK, guess that is less dense chipboard. But excellent value. 

I am tempted to get a std battery drill, as daughter and SIL have pilfered my garage battery drill.... 

For somebody who earns part of their living doing maintenance work (mainly in student houses) teh tools are ideal. I don't worry about badge snobbery. 

I have found lidl and aldi drill bits to be great, but some hand tools are only OK. 

Mrs Clive rather likes the Lidl ice creams, reckons they are better than the Walls proper versions..... The pink gin stuff seems to be popular too.

Re oil pumps I brought mine off ebay to do my daughters 2010 Commodore oil changes as there's so many sump protectors its a pain to remove them to drain the sump the pump works well but not on moderns where the dip stick tube is so small a diameter no decent suction pipe will fit inside of it!

We have Aldi not Lidi, Aldi do get some decent cheap tools but also some rubbish some things like a inspection camera good others have been returned! maYBE i EXPECT TOO MUCH!

ive used battery impacts for years , had the old batteries done by recell your battery  who do all makes 

http://www.recellyourbattery.com/hilti/

have a 3/8 and 1/2 drives   the big un is rated at 19.6volt  330lbft  

the best buy was a 3/8 drive that bunning offloaded from homebase take over at £8 

went back to buy the remaing stock but   ...all gone someone else had the same idea 

Pete

19 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Cordless Impact Wrench on the box. I was debating as I can't be bothered firing the compressor up every time I need to undo a stuck nut.

Just looked on fleabay. The 1/2 impact wrench was £60 (I think) with battery and charger. Plenty have been selling for £100ish. Should have bought a few!