Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

Apologies if this has been submitted before but the salt funnel that is supplied for use with dishwashers is a perfect fit on the filler of a rocker box ( Spitfire, others? ) and certainly helps getting fresh oil in without spillage.

Derek.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerekS said:

the salt funnel that is supplied for use with dishwashers is a perfect fit on the filler of a rocker box

I assume you put it in the dishwasher afterwards to clean it 😁

I have a cut off top from a plastic 1.5 litre 'eau de source' bottle*.

*It's the wife that drinks the stuff, I don't even add it to my whisk(e)y 

The top cut off the top of a 1 litre plastic squash bottle is my usual funnel for use in the garage.  No need to clean, just dispose of, as another bottle or similar will be available the next time I need a funnel.

If you then also cut off the base of the bottle, you are left with a clear plastic cylinder that the wife uses to protect new plants in the garden.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2023 at 20:12, Chris A said:

Tyres: diameter in inches of course to match wheel diameter but width in mm.

Just to show it works both ways, it is quite common to see fruit on a market stall priced as, for example, 4.99€ per livre. Yes per pound.

I'm going to relax with a measure of Scotch from a metric bottle 🥃

Aren't spirits supposed to be correctly measured as fractions of a gill? Or multiples thereof lol

Metrication

When I returned to Aus in 74 the water authority I worked for (MMBW, = Melb Water Corp) was in the middle of metrication and converted to Meters head of water from psi as the pressure unit rather than the more usual engineering pressure unit of kpa. So the pressure recorded at our house is the top water supply of our supply reservoir Dandenong Res at 84mts AHD (above sea level) minus our property RL of 22mts ie a pressure of 62mts, or in the old imperial units 89psi, or metric 608kpa (1mt = 9.81kpa), so to the outside world it could be considered that we totally stuffed metrication up!!

To make matters worse we did a soft conversion for all our chart recorders (700 plus) which were converted by changing the weekly circular graph papers from 0 to 100psi to 0 to 70mts (the suppliers nearest available chart), 

8 hours ago, cliff.b said:

Aren't spirits supposed to be correctly measured as fractions of a gill? Or multiples thereof lol

Back in the 'old country' but here a measure is usually 4cl or 5cl, 

According to an online converter 4cl = 0,281560637822832 Uk gill

10 hours ago, Chris A said:

Back in the 'old country' but here a measure is usually 4cl or 5cl, 

According to an online converter 4cl = 0,281560637822832 Uk gill

From memory, a standard English spirit measure used to be 1/5 of a gill and 1/4 of a gill in Scotland. After metrication it changed to 25ml (2.5cl) whereas a 1/5 of a gill converts to roughly 28.4ml. I don't remember prices reducing to compensate for the reduction in size.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Graham C said:

Great idea the coat hanger, but even better is the idea of labelling storage containers detailing their contents. 

A really well organised garage.

Graham

That’s very kind, thank you Graham.

- however, I must confess there are other areas in the garage which look like the aftermath of a small explosion..

• 3 weeks later...

If you work in very confined areas and with with little storage space   and have to move things about every time  time you want to work  them, things  like   renovation, de rusting, painting  and axle reassembly can be awkward.

A modified trailer jockey wheel with bracket to chassis mounting points  to  chassis helps. and gives variable access and it can turn in its own length.

47D99C97-64CD-4DA3-905C-15AB494A02AE.thumb.jpeg.d4dbcf81322a8efc0db82c07fc86b636.jpeg

A later,  steerable version which was easier to maneuver  on gravel,  used adapted DiY door dolly welded to the lower section of  the jockey wheel.

9B4ABEB4-957F-4F57-A5B7-FD4DC2911FDC.thumb.jpeg.64f5ef67ebccc5ce2bb580920dd8b272.jpeg

• Like 7

I needed to replace the 'horns' at the front of the chassis rails, and the bumper bar, after an - Ahem! - little argument with the Armco.   I cut off the assembly from the Silverback chassis, of doubtful straightness after a roll on the 'Ring.

Needed to hold the assembly while I measured that it was in the right place. So built a jig from a pallet, some threaded rod and ring clamps.

IMG_20230723_133448.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

If you work in very confined areas and with with little storage space   and have to move things about every time  time you want to work  them, things  like   renovation, de rusting, painting  and axle reassembly can be awkward.

A modified trailer jockey wheel with bracket to chassis mounting points  to  chassis helps. and gives variable access and it can turn in its own length.

47D99C97-64CD-4DA3-905C-15AB494A02AE.thumb.jpeg.d4dbcf81322a8efc0db82c07fc86b636.jpeg

A later,  steerable version which was easier to maneuver  on gravel,  used adapted DiY door dolly welded to the lower section of  the jockey wheel.

9B4ABEB4-957F-4F57-A5B7-FD4DC2911FDC.thumb.jpeg.64f5ef67ebccc5ce2bb580920dd8b272.jpeg

What a brilliant idea, unfortunately I am stupid enough to pick up the end of the chassis move it around then wonder why my back hurts the next day.
Taking your idea one step further if you bolted a draw bar on the front you could tow a chassis behind your car to where ever you needed to tow it.

8 hours ago, ahebron said:

What a brilliant idea, unfortunately I am stupid enough to pick up the end of the chassis move it around then wonder why my back hurts the next day.
Taking your idea one step further if you bolted a draw bar on the front you could tow a chassis behind your car to where ever you needed to tow it.

You mean something like this?.

IMG_5053.JPG

Pete

Edited by PeteH

• 2 weeks later...

Just made a quick spring compressor this morning to remove the shocks on the spit. I hated the claw compressors so made one from two old discs, and used the threaded part of the old claw clamps. Just 4 holes and your ready to go.

20230818_121745.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

Since brake discs are usually made from cast iron, I would NOT recommend the above "tool".    The discs will not bend under excess strain, they will fracture, catastrophically.

John

My First thought too. The Tensile strength of even modern cast material is not high. In this particular case the Shape of the Disk will assist in resisting fracture. But I think, I too would be reluctant to use it even.

Pete

18 hours ago, JohnD said:

Since brake discs are usually made from cast iron, I would NOT recommend the above "tool".    The discs will not bend under excess strain, they will fracture, catastrophically.

John

Hmn, yes.That’s a good point.An appealing idea otherwise though.