Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

35 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Any car built in 2016 will have metric parts, so that sump plug is really 21mm!

But you never know with Fords. As a Ford apprentice in the 80's I worked from drawings with both imperial and metric measurements on 🤷

11 hours ago, andybeau said:

But you never know with Fords. As a Ford apprentice in the 80's I worked from drawings with both imperial and metric measurements on 🤷

I have a 1990 Ford and it has a mix of AF and metric fasteners. For example, starter motor and alternator are both 1/2 in AF.

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

Any car built in 2016 will have metric parts, so that sump plug is really 21mm!

Typical socket sets - my Halfords set goes from 10mm to 18mm then jumps to 20 and 22 to 24, no 19 - which I needed for the Mondeo - nor 21 for the Fiesta. Thank goodness for Imperial!

• 2 weeks later...

As a kid I remember a box of restrictor’s ie snubbers in our home workshop from  the instrumentation in petro chemical plants and steel plants that dads company used to build here.

brass female and male threaded ends with a small hole in a disc.

They we’re to damper out any surges so the gauge didn’t bounce about.

The instrument boys at our water board used to just kink/flatten the pipe to the pressure gauges, also used oil damped gauges.

Apologies Jeffsds!  You didn't mention that your burette clamp was compressing the plastic pipe!

I have a test pressure gauge for my Lucas Pi system, on a long length of flexible brake pipe, so I can insert it anywhere, and see the measured pressure while driving, by mounting the gauge on the dash.   I do NOT use it routinely!   I don't fancy a jet of petrol at 100psi in the cockpit!

When I made it originally, the pulsatile nature of the pump working caused violent oscillation of the needle, so violent that it was shaken off its axle!   I cured this with , as Paul suggests, by inserting a restrictor.   I made this from copper pipe, by cutting a round piece from the wall to fit inside the connector and boring the finest hole I could through it.

John

57 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

just add a squashed bit of bundy  just squeeze the plier cutters till you get a nice steady needle 

sorry about the M in L   theres alot of it around 

think this cough will carry me off so i duck a lot 

pete

There was a duck playing a toy piano on TV this morning. Apparently, it hatched out with puppies around. They grew up together and it even follows them around the training route. Good job they were not hungry. Actually, our collie guarded our chickens when I was a lad. Trained animals behave much better than humans.

Back to gauges, beware of watching the dashboard too much. Best to keep eyes on the road. I used to watch the MPG meter too much when I first had a car with one. Late braking cured me.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been having trouble with a blocked windscreen washer-jet on my TR4 - the usual thin pin didn’t work dispite many attempts.  However, I managed to clear it in 2 mins using the smallest size (00) of Pikster interdental brush.

worth trying if you have a similar problem.

………. Andy 

Image-1.jpeg