Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

I made a spring compressor where the top and bottom plates were 10mm steel and I used a good quality Sutton brand here tank cutter/hole saw to drill the largish 40 mm plus holes and it’s still fit for purpose good quality slow speed and cool the cutting teeth during cut. I used a cheapie pedestal saw at a reasonably slow speed.

I have a 1in tank cutter with one broken tooth that I’ve had/used for probably 30 years

oh don’t use a wood cutter on steel the offending bit might still burn it’s way thro wood

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

for those who never had thrupenny bit pocket money  this is what we are talking about   3 old penny

81nMXi1l1jL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nice pair of thruppeny bits there.

If the tooth fairy brings me enough for a pack of chocolate biccies I'll hightail it to the In-Laws and they can cut a proper hole out, it needs to be D-shaped and they'll do it while I watch. The rest of that hole saw kit will revert to plasterboard and wood use. but you never know if they'll cut metal until you try it... :)

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

you never know if they'll cut metal until you try it

you  are supposed to read the instructions   (thats not a man thing )     not blow the doors (teeth)  off 

i have an Aldi set and they cut anything , had them for some years 

Pete

Some things have to be done, I`ve cut steel with dodgy cheapo cutters in the past, It can be done, at very slow speed and with lots of cutting lubricant. IF you have time and patience. One has to wonder how the ancients cut hard stone with copper tools?.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Some things have to be done, I`ve cut steel with dodgy cheapo cutters in the past, It can be done, at very slow speed and with lots of cutting lubricant. IF you have time and patience. One has to wonder how the ancients cut hard stone with copper tools?.

Pete

Someone on FB was pondering recently how the Ancients managed to make all these huge structures with very little. If we didn't have the Internet, television, online gaming, books, movies and machinery to work on, we'd have to find something to do to pass the odd millennium or two.

Another thing: if diamond is the hardest substance known (or one of them at least) how come you can crush them with a hammer?

On 25/03/2023 at 12:48, Colin Lindsay said:

Another thing: if diamond is the hardest substance known (or one of them at least) how come you can crush them with a hammer?

Oh man .. you really must learn to control your temper.. she'll not forgive you, you know !

image.png.974a3084bcd0160e06e5f47da3f29b68.png

Modified this on a job today.
Customer wanted a power point outside the front door and another just inside the front door.
Luckily there was a power point on the other side of the wall for the inside one so all I had to do was cut a hole for the flush box drill down through the bottom plate crawl under the house and drill up through the bottom plate, then a hole through the outside wall covering and grab the wire out.
Underneath the house it had been insulated with a nylon blanket between the floor joists.
I cleared the insulation around where I though the hole in the plate would come through and went back up the hole in the wall inside.
I hade to add a 150mm extension and a 300mm extension to my spade bits all on my Dewalt 18 volt drill.
Drill down through the bottom plate, then through the floor board should be clear but just caught a floor dwang/nog. 
Then the spade bit grabs stops the drill, into reverse and it turns then stops the drill, bugger.
Release the drill from the extensions and back under the house to pull the spade and extensions down.
Climb back up and exam what I have done it had bent and twisted the 150mm extension, the spade bit had grabbed the nylon blanket insulation as I miscalculated where it would come through.
The drill, the bit and the 300mm extension had no damage but the 150mm was no longer of any use.

IMG_7442.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg