no more petrol or diesel

Ian Faulds

Yes, hydrogen by electrolysis is indeed inefficient, but it has the potential to be clean if it's done with low/zero carbon electricity. (Hydrogen from ammonia is definitely NOT clean.) The thing about renewable energy is that it is highly variable in nature. You have to have much more in terms of "boiler-plate rating" so that the nominal output is is sufficient to to run the grid. (And even then it's not guaranteed - not even with lots of energy storage!) So, what do you do with the surplus electricity? You make hydrogen of course. It doesn't matter that it's inefficient because we have to have the surplus and what else would we do with the power?

(I can never remember if the efficiency of hydrogen is 25% or 33% end-to-end, but it's something like that. Compare with any decent battery which should be 80%.)

The point is that hydrogen-powered vehicles - be they fuel cells or infernal combustion - are much more capable of giving us the range we're used to, and you can re-fill one in the same time as it takes to fill your tank with lovely petrol. The other thing is that we won't have to beef-up our electricity network to fast-charge cars so that people can move on after only ONE cup of coffee. Laying in extra copper to cope with increased power consumption is EYE WATERINGLY expensive!

Cheers, Richard

47 minutes ago, rlubikey said:

Laying in extra copper to cope with increased power consumption is EYE WATERINGLY expensive!

Cheers, Richard

THAT doesn't matter so long as it's green. In the news this week, the third runway at Heathrow and other road upgrade issues, all binned or postponed as they're not in line with emissions and climate policies.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

If you want green this is the way forward, keep it out the back it'll keep the grass in check.  Give it oats now and again and the exhaust is very useful stuff. Sportier models are available for the speed obsessed.

db

Have you seen the expense?? Not only the initial purchase but also the running costs? Eye-wateringly more expensive than electric cars, and nowhere near as useful.

My darling daughter can make hers fly, but she doesn't pay for the fuel... :)

12645153_555032127986236_8259515013098632941_n.jpg.b9e317076402016df91d9be9ef6f2f64.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

If you want green this is the way forward, keep it out the back it'll keep the grass in check.  Give it oats now and again and the exhaust is very useful stuff. Sportier models are available for the speed obsessed.

horse.PNG.efe23860145dd966c261fbd4e7957e4c.PNG

db

Personally Doug, I'd keep the young lady in the house and put the horse out the back. But each to their own I suppose!

For reference by the way, I've just asked my Nearest And Dearest and she tells me that you need about two acres to keep one horse fed on grass.

Cheers, Richard

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rlubikey said:

For reference by the way, I've just asked my Nearest And Dearest and she tells me that you need about two acres to keep one horse fed on grass.

Cheers, Richard

Second that, friends of ours who keep horses base their needs on 1 hectare per horse

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Second that, friends of ours who keep horses base their needs on 1 hectare per horse

My grass is very long? :)

East Berks meet at the Shire Horse near Maidenhead. 10 years ago there were stables and shire horses, but Chef & Brewer bought it and turned it into a gastro pub. They knocked down the stables and built houses. I still don't eat their burgers.

Doug

I thought the emissions from cattle assisted global warming so as horses have a similar diet how are more horses planet friendly.

A horse produces over forty pounds of methane per year cattle substantially more, should we ban cattle stop all dairy products and steaks?.

Regards

Paul