Cold air to filter

HUB

Never fitted one, but I do remember in the 60's driving home across the North York Moors in the wifes Herald 12/50 or my 1200 Conv on a foggy night how much better the car ran, smoother, quieter (dense air) and it felt more responsive.

Peter T

7 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Never fitted one, but I do remember in the 60's driving home across the North York Moors in the wifes Herald 12/50 or my 1200 Conv on a foggy night how much better the car ran, smoother, quieter (dense air) and it felt more responsive.

Goodness. I don't think I've got room under the bonnet, for a dry ice machine.

• Like 1

Some extreme turbo/supercharger machines use water injection .     The finely nebulised water rapidly vapourises, absorbing heat from the charge, and from the combustion.   It takes advantage of the Latent Heat of Vapourisation of water, that is much higher than any other liquid.     The result is just water vapour in the exhaust.      

I also recall some trubocharged rally machines. that had water sprays onto, not into, the intercooler.     The water would evaporate on the surface of the radiator, augmenting cooling, but not mixing with the charge.   No need for dry ice!   Although that used to used in F1, shovelled into the radiator intakes if the engine had to remain on for long without the car running, because they relied on entrained air only, no fans.     But then, they put leafblowers in the intakes instead!

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Some extreme turbo/supercharger machines use water injection .     The finely nebulised water rapidly vapourises, absorbing heat from the charge, and from the combustion.   It takes advantage of the Latent Heat of Vapourisation of water, that is much higher than any other liquid.     The result is just water vapour in the exhaust.      

When I was searching the the 1960s or earlier version I've got an ad for (in one of my old motoring magazines, no doubt) I found a lot of modern equivalents, which are electronically controlled and full of modern technology (including breaking the water down to release hydrogen); but I'm almost sure the old versions just sprayed water straight into the manifold.

Round where I live I'd need a leafblower to take leaves OUT of the engine... 

Quote, "full of modern technology (including breaking the water down to release hydrogen)"

It would require a temperature of more than 3500C, at 1 atmosphere of pressure, to ionise water vapour to it's constituent atoms.   A lot more at raised pressure.     Any way, what would the hydrogen do?  It would burn with oxygen to water,  the enthalpy is constant, but inefficiences would waste a lot of energy.      Not 'modern technology', modern voodoo!

John

PS I know, we've got a long way from cold air to the carburettors!   But what else do you do during lockdown but chat online?

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Quote, "full of modern technology (including breaking the water down to release hydrogen)"

Not 'modern technology', modern voodoo!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HYDROSTAR-HYDROGEN-GENERATOR-RUN-YOUR-CAR-ON-WATER-NOW-HHO-CONVERSION-GUIDE-/150776145143

Here we go, the new generation of snake-oil salesmen!

Incidentally, didn't someone recommend pond pipe earlier? Halfway there already...!

Ive got my own built in methane generator  does that work ????

but sometimes its not gas    the nerve ends are less fussy as you age !!!!you cant tell the difference between solids and gass

My mum said she let out a silent fart,  i suggested she needed new batteries in the hearing aids 

Pete

24 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

I have driven an EFI Niva in an atmosphere with no moisture in the air @ -45.

I can honestly say I felt no difference in performance.

I don't think I would have felt anything at all at that temperature. Hope the heater worked well.

On 11/04/2020 at 13:06, HUB said:

Hi all, Asking here cos I can't get to my car atm. Looking to put extension tube on to air filter housing to "catch" cooler air from grill area...What diameter tubing do I need??

To answer your original question - presuming you have a Vitesse style air filter box; the OD of the stubs upon which the flexi hoses fit is 35.3mm which is 1.39 inches or 1-3/8"

Hope that assists ??

hoopsontoast,

Silverback was much, much more subtle!    Did you ever see under its bonnet?

267273101_Insurancepics2006012.thumb.jpg.99cadd362b80d035e769ac22b086c545.jpg

The engine air intake was via what was designed as the heater air intake, in the pressure bubble under the windscreen.   There was a BIG air filter in the fabricated casing strapped onto the heater plenum.

The blank headlamps were for weight saving.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

@wimpus, out of interest, which version of the original air-box did you start with? Standard 2 tube 1500 spec. ?

Yes an original 1500 hs4 one, got maybe 4 of those !

I've cut the center section out.

2 Pipes at the front i got off and filled those in.

Then fitted a round piece of pipe at the spot i wanted.

And finally welded the top back shut.

Was harder then it seemed ... :D

• Thanks 1