Sorry to interrupt but . . .

Chris A

I have a 13/60 and should the radiator decide to eject coolant it is lost. A Vitesse has an overflow bottle and retrieves the liquid when it cools.

Why are the two models treated differently? Any real reason?

Can a 13/60 be equipped with such a bottle?

My car doesn't have a problem, really honest, just wondering. Yes, I have other things to do but its almost coffee time.

Thanks to all and again sorry for taking you away from more important jobs 😁

No reason why not; the Herald just has an overflow pipe that vents to the ground and most filler caps these days are the same design, so unless I'm missing something in the mechanicals, you could just add an overflow bottle that would draw the coolant back in again, same as in the other models. It's a throwback to the early days when any kind of trip meant checking water and oil etc before starting off, so in theory the Herald should lose a small amount of water due to expansion which is then regularly topped up. 

Even if the system doesn't want to automatically draw the coolant back in, at least you can just pour it back in when cold and therefore not waste it.

just add a bottle to the existing overflow, add a cornflake packet gasket to the top inside the orig cap might be workable,

a double seal cap tends to have a copper /bronzy light sprung dished washer support for a this fibre or rubber disc 

but cornflakes are a cheap start

Pete

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

add a cornflake packet gasket 

Pete

Don't eat Cornflakes, maybe Madame's cereal biscuit box would do instead.

Thanks for the tip though, will give the idea some thought when I'm bored and don't want to/ can't  go for a drive. Next Tuesday, 14th July French National holiday, we have a small gathering of old cars & drivers, if I get bored that might be a good time to think it over. 🤔

• 6 months later...

With my 13/60 it took me ages to determine what the correct level is. Top it up too much and it gets rid of it. Now I know I just check it regularly, my 'did stick' is my first finger - if the level doesn't make my finger wet add coolant. NOTE: only do this when the coolant is cold 😲

• Haha 1

On 10/07/2020 at 09:40, Chris A said:

My car doesn't have a problem, really honest, just wondering. Yes, I have other things to do but its almost coffee time.

Thanks to all and again sorry for taking you away from more important jobs 😁

Chris,

These are the questions we love! What if...........?

Doug

17 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

what if  ...........   I used africa shower gel and .......................havent seen an elephant all day 

pete

You really want to smell like Africa?

Re the rad; if I can see the tops of the core pipes when looking down through the filler neck, I refill.

21 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Re the rad; if I can see the tops of the core pipes when looking down through the filler neck, I refill.

You've obviously got good eyesight 😁. My level is with them covered by about a couple of centimetres

13 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Not a lot of volume for  a washer bottle?. Two good washes and?. Mind?. I supose when washers where introduced they did not figure on the MOT. (by 1970/1?).

Pete

With the pathetic push pump it takes forever to use even that little bottle up 

fit an electric pump and it is another matter.