Mk2 Engine Rebuild going into a Mk1 GT6 by a novice!

AidanT

This is a pretty good summary of how to measure a crank and its bearings.

https://blog.k1technologies.com/how-to-check-bearing-clearances

Some will think buying this kit might be excessive, and expensive - but my set of micrometers were bought secondhand for a reasonable price.  I would buy secondhand best-quality instruments every time over cheap new ones.  It helps if they've recently had a calibration check, but if you're taking anything to a friendly machine shop they might do a comparison for you just as a check.  Moore & Wright used to be excellent quality, not sure if they still are though.  Mitutoyo are good also.  

It's a difficult call - if you are just building one engine and not likely to do any more, it doesn't make sense.  If you take your first measurement and the crank is out of spec or the cylinder bore is oval, there's no point in doing any more because you now know you will need the machine shop anyway.  If you're building engines on a regular basis, they are worth buying and should last you a lifetime.  Mine have now done several Ford V8s, Jag sixes, old Land Rover engines etc. - the only problem is when you get to bigger engines you need bigger micrometers.  My usual routine is to get the machine shop to do whatever basic machining work is required, and a chemiclean, and then do the assembly myself, including selective bearing assembly.

Happy New Year, and above all, enjoy it!

Note - For bearing shells, this article discusses mixing bearing shell sizes with tolerance undersize bearings to get exact figures.  Whilst these bearing sizes are commonly available for Ford and Chevy V8s, I have no idea if you will find these for the Triumph engine.  You could at least measure replacement sets for selective assembly to get as close as you reasonably can.

I know this will look like overkill for a simple refresh, so I'm not suggesting you do all this - just showing you what the gold standard would be.  You can decide how far you want to go!

It really does reinforce what I said re good quality instruments and having them calibrated. Your reading variations do show the crank needs a regrind but as Pete says you can't trust the actual value. When you are making decisions on close tolerance parts you must have the correct equipment. As Roger said buying good quality equipment is better than new cheap rubbish but then it MUST be calibrated. Most very good sets come with calibrated bars but to be sure on second hand equipment you should these bars (or rings for bore gauges) checked by a good machine shop. 

Iain 

On 30/12/2020 at 20:42, johny said:

Yes it was a bit fiddly and I had to release the engine mounts to jack the engine up which as you can imagine would have been easier with a hoist from above. Obviously working on your back isnt ideal and also maintaining the cleanliness of everything is a problem but its doable.

Id done the BE years ago at about 40k miles from new during the resto and then heard a slight rumbling when revving the engine at stationary after approx another 30k. I wouldnt have noticed the noise if I hadnt had the car such a long time and know it so well. All the mains are accessible but the hardest is the front which is covered by the bridge piece that is also bolted to the front plate. I had to carefully separate the bridge piece from the front plate without damaging the gasket then put it back in place with sealant.

The BE unsurprisingly still had life in them but the mains were just going through to the copper (this is one of the advantages of a multi metal type of bearing) and had been caught just at the right time. However as I say all were replaced with the cheaper single metal bearings which have their own advantages apart from cost.

I also changed the thrust bearings and splashed out on the bigger capacity oil pump for good measure🤑 The only thing I regret is not having replaced the bridge piece at the same time as its threaded holes have since needed further work...

Thanks for that Johny, much appreciated.  I'm hoping not, but may be something I have to do.

Dave 

Obviously recommended to do them before any damage occurs but this can be difficult to judge. I did read somewhere that the Triumph six crank can last indefinitely without regrinds if the bigends are changed every 40k and mains every 70k or something like that. I know some seem to do more than that but it fits in well with my experience and considering the annual mileage many cars do these days plus the relative ease/cost of the job compared with a regrind I think its quite a good idea.

we changed the crank and shells in car with the Vit6  1600  for a reground balanced assy 

yes back breaking and needs a hoist of sorts to take the anchor weight of the crank

its a monster  , while you fits shells and couple of mains  then release the rope 

it easy to slip new shells in 

apart from the weight of the crank getting the sump off takes the longest faf 

but its quite doable ( but  i was 15 years younger)

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Piston Ring questions

On number three the second ring is well not locked up but certainly doesn't rotate around the piston - why would this be?

Is it ok to remove all the rings now as they will be replaced or are they still needed?

What about the third seal rings- do they need replacement?

Should I just remove them all to clean the piston sides?

Thanks

Aidan

the restriction is crud in the piston groves 

old idea was to use a broken ring segment to scrape the groove clean

as you are rebuilding there is no point in  re using old rings i would take them all off and give the piston/grooves a good clean ready for new ones ...but if you end up with a rebore then all this is hogwash 

as all will be NEW

Pete

I know it's an additional expense, but a simple set of piston ring pliers makes life a lot less stressful.  They don't cost much and changing the rings can be a fiddle without.

I have a second set of rings the same size to hand because it's a right pain waiting for a replacement if you are unlucky, or cack-handed enough to break one.  A good piston ring compressor is essential as cheap, single clamp ones make it a lot easier to break the rings on insertion.  I am a big fan of tapered ring compressors, but as with the spare set of rings I assemble a lot of small block Ford V8s so they get enough use to justify the cost.  MED make them for Mini engines, but I don't know if they are available for the Triumph 6 size - probably, somewhere.  This vid shows the pliers, too.

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

but if you end up with a rebore then all this is hogwash 

as all will be NEW

Aidan, I really do suggest measuring or getting the machine shop to measure and review everything as you may be wasting energy. 

I know it's all good fun and valuable lessons but it doesn't really get you further along. 

Iain 

12 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Aidan, I really do suggest measuring or getting the machine shop to measure and review everything as you may be wasting energy. 

I know it's all good fun and valuable lessons but it doesn't really get you further along. 

Iain 

Hi Iain 

I'm just cleaning everything up before it goes off the the machine shop. Just wanted to know if it was best or ok to remove all the rings 

TBH, I will probably get them to refit the crank, bearings pistons and rings, as I have no real way of measuring what is needed accurately 

• Like 1

Interesting video, Roger, but the sad thing is that whilst I like the ring pliers (quite a few identical brands for sale online, between £5 and £10) he makes the use of the old clamp-type piston ring compressors look too easy to justify buying the other tool! He should have broken something to make them more desirable... :) 

The price I've found at present is MED £35 + VAT, ARP are about £40, assuming I can find the size I need for, say, Herald 1200 +030 oversize (I'll have to measure then go looking!). Med seems to supply only 1275 engines at present, and I'd guess that 1147 Triumphs are way down the list.

I bought a boxed set of Sealey piston ring compressors at Stafford for £1 a few years back and have been keeping them for this engine... so might be the cheaper option, provided I don't break anything...