Mk2 Engine Rebuild going into a Mk1 GT6 by a novice!

AidanT

32 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Going back to exhaust clamps, can you get enough force on the Mikalors vs U bolt clamps? I only ask as I have the s/steel exhaust system.

Iain

simple answer is yes. To me the big advantage is that the exhaust doe not get "crimped" so will come apart again. I am a fan of Mikalor clamps.

1 hour ago, AidanT said:

Can it be pulled  / levered out ??

its fitted from the back of the cover so you can just tap or lever it out

a word of warning some new seals with a plastic surround dont fit well and can fall in,

a metal cased seal is best if you can find one the cover location is quite shallow  ive not had a plastic one ever fit well 

Pete

Payen timing case oil seals (part no. NA750) are OE quality and can still be found:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-cover-oil-seal-Triumph-Vitesse-GT6-TR5-TR6-Payen-NA759-D627/323109376167?hash=item4b3ad1d0a7:g:PKwAAOSwyz5amCfm

But best of all, is the leather lip seal sold by Chris Witor:

https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=UKC110L

Remember to soak it in engine oil overnight before fitting. It's expensive but was the only seal that worked on my GT6's 2500S engine, and I tried several. Chris claims they are best for 'hard to seal' timing covers.

Nigel

As a personal choice, I always use an engine assembly lubricant such as Permatex; there are many options around.  Apparently, if you look hard enough, it's possible to spot some being used in this video, but so far I haven't managed to spot it.

Nigella, eat your heart out.

Roger

• Like 2

just like triumph did  !!!  fill with oil and run up on a test bed probably used town gas not petrol 

some engines were often back to back , one drives the other used  as a brake/load    common mass production of the day 

thrown down the assembly line and now 50 yrs  on and having done 20,000 miles a year in the hey day and  we need to gold standard every move 

this is the old utopia on a crappy old engine  not F1  or ferrari techy.

with all the wrong things happening they plod on after 50 yrs of service and guys spend a fortune so it can sit in a field with the bonnet up or have an extreme outing once a month  very few manage 5k a year 

so   time to  keep things   sensible 

I might change my idea after this afternoons Jab   Ha 

Pete

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 09:39, AidanT said:

Hi

Recommendations on an assembly oil or grease please (I assume something with high ZDDP?)

thx

Aidan

Aidan

I used an assembly Paste called Graphogen when I rebuilt my Vitesse engine, I had it recommended to me?

I also used proper Piper Cam Lube on the New Camshaft and followers as recommended by Piper.

If fitting a new Cam & Followers make sure you follow the Manufacturers instructions?

I also ensured there was plenty of Engine oil around the Piston rings and bores, stagger the rings too before inserting in the Bores.  

Regards

Hi 

Thanks for the advice  - My concern is once rebuilt it may be a little while before its fired up for the first time. I have to remove the current engine but also want to clean up and probably repaint the firewall as its half coated in what looks like underseal

Aidan

2 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Aiden

I used an assembly Paste called Graphogen when I rebuilt my Vitesse engine, I had it recommended to me?

I also used proper Piper Cam Lube on the New Camshaft and followers as recommended by Piper.

If fitting a new Cam & Followers make sure you follow the Manufacturers instructions?

I also ensured there was plenty of Engine oil around the Piston rings and bores, stagger the rings too before inserting in the Bores.  

Regards

Graphogen is used in the trade when rebuilding Triumph engines.

Nigel

• Like 1

Out of interest - is a cam break-in procedure recommended for new cams installed in the six-pot?  It's very important at first fire-up in American V8s with flat-tappet cams, so I would presume it would be a good idea in a Triumph as these are also flat-tappet.