Mk2 Engine Rebuild going into a Mk1 GT6 by a novice!

AidanT

BOTH REFS ON THAT PAGE ARE MK 2 ENGINES  !!!!!!!!!!!!

Aidan you have a MK1 engine youre looking at   MK2 engines   SPECS 

you have 3/8unf studs    all  MK2 have bigger 7/16"unf studs 

ALL   mk1 engines    and thats 2000/Vitesse/GT6 /all 4 cyl  have the smaller stud diameter

with  a torque of   42/46 lbft    

so flip the pages till MK1 appears ..........  any mk 1  ( thats engine not a model series MK )

Pete

9 minutes ago, AidanT said:

Not that one  the 7th from the bottom in the picture 

DanMi is still on the right track as that is clearly marked "Mk2". GT6+ is US for Mk2. You need to go up the page past the "where different from 1600" and look what the head studs on 1600s are, because 2L Mk1 is the same as that.

• AidanT changed the title to Mk2 Engine Rebuild going into a Mk1 GT6 by a novice!

actually looking at the cylinder head at the start of the thread, it doesn't have the push rod tubes of the early cylinder head, so it looks like a mk2 head so 7/16 studs and so the mini nuts are no use

we need to know exactly what engine

I fell foul of that with my MK1 and the Mk1 saloon engine it originally had, and torqued it to Mk2 spec.... stripped three studs before I realised. It's a very confusing way of writing things. Now with the Mk2 engine I usually get it right...

And the Mini nuts I mentioned are for the Heralds... Mini nuts in name only, as I bought them from James Paddock, who sells them as uprated head nuts suitable for cars up to GT6 Mk1, but doesn't seem to list them for the Mk2.

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I fell foul of that with my MK1 and the Mk1 saloon engine it originally had, and torqued it to Mk2 spec.... stripped three studs before I realised. It's a very confusing way of writing things. Now with the Mk2 engine I usually get it right...

And the Mini nuts I mentioned are for the Heralds... Mini nuts in name only, as I bought them from James Paddock, who sells them as uprated head nuts suitable for cars up to GT6 Mk1, but doesn't seem to list them for the Mk2.

they were original equipment on late minis hence the term mini head nuts, but yes now sold as upgrades for our engines

No probs, ah well, back to a set of nuts and washers from Canleys!

Still, an earlier discussion here was discussing just hand tightening studs! Or is that the mk1 block once more??

How the fudge do you torque up studs??????

Confused of Lincolnshire 

11 hours ago, AidanT said:

So looking once more 

16148004048031250881729433229873.thumb.jpg.fdabb674aa975e48136d394bcda37c73.jpg

And yes I read it wrong but 

Cylinder Head stud middle section at the bottom 65 to 70??? Is that right? From the conversations above it can't be  

Am I misunderstanding ????

Is that a workshop manual you're using?  Doesn't look like mine...  I don't think the factory book refers to a stud torque.

17 minutes ago, Roger K said:

Is that a workshop manual you're using?  Doesn't look like mine...  I don't think the factory book refers to a stud torque.

It's the Haynes one. The factory ones don't cover the 1600 Vitesse (they group that with the Herald)

Can I just make an observation?. Using "mini" (for want of the better description) Nut`s. Gives just one sliding (frictional) surface when torqueing, Using a Separate washer, gives two. Whilst it will be marginal the actual applied torque will be very slightly different. That difference especially on the 3/8" studs could make a difference to the actual force applied to the head?.

Pete

Hi - Yes it was Haynes, now checked my factory one and there is no listing for the studs, just "Cylinder Head attachment" - still 65-70 lbft

So just to confirm  Mk2 GT6 Engine, studs to block  - shall we say "firm hand tight"

AND Nuts with washers 65-70 lbft

I just want to be sure on this :)

Aidan

2 hours ago, johny said:

Dont know about the number of sliding surfaces making a difference Pete but certainly the area of the load bearing contact (washer incorporated into the nut) could do.... 

I think if either of these had been a concern then Rover would have changed the torque specs when they changed the Mini engine to the washer incorporate nuts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just taken my XK140 motor to the machine shop for sorting.  It's an early SE engine - it has a 'C'-type head - and it's important because it is matching numbers to the car, a 1955 DHC.  The head has the engine number stamped on it too, so it's important to keep them together if at all possible - it makes a big difference to the value of old Jags.  It had only done 70k miles (shut away in a Sacramento garage since 1982), so the block was standard bore throughout, and when dismantling I was hopeful of just needing a hone, perhaps - but no such luck as a broken ring had dug in and taken a 0.75mm chunk out of no.6 cylinder wall.  So the plan there is a sleeve in no.6, and to be safe a 0.020" rebore.

Sleeves done properly are not a problem.  How were your thrust surfaces on the block?  I seem to remember that's a problem area on the Triumph 6-pot.

11 minutes ago, Roger K said:

Sleeves done properly are not a problem.  How were your thrust surfaces on the block?  I seem to remember that's a problem area on the Triumph 6-pot.

All the bearings have been replaced, possibly needn't have been done but least I know it's all good now. I don't know the engines history so it's a new start for it