Fuel filters

Gadgetman

Hello,

I use those and have found them to be ideal - ensure the unit is the correct size as far as ID connections are concerned.

Each annual service I get rid of the old one and replace with new - never been an issue with ethanol.

The UK is still using 5% ethanol in some fuels, but not all. 

Many classic car owners believe, incorrectly, that overnight we will go from 5% to 10% - that is not the case and 5% will still be available at the pumps. You need only look at the French petrol forecourt system to note that the choice of 5% and 10% is available.

Folk in the UK need to be aware of ethanol, but not jump on the paranoia bandwagon which seems to sweep and be fuelled (excuse the pun) via the national press and Forums on a regular basis.

Some owners use the renewable paper element in the glass type units; personally I'd rather unclip and replace.

One point worth mentioning, is that if you can fit an inline filter between the tank and pump that is very useful as it prevents the pump becoming clogged with fuel tank debris.

Hope the above helps.

Regards.

Richard.

I used the plastic type fitted before the mechanical pump but it was the one with right angled top outlet, it works well cheap and easily fitted , only issue I've found is the plastic pipe tends to neck with the petrol pipe clips, I use the sprung type of clip. often wondered if the necking was due to ethanol affecting the plastic.

The filter has the advantage of two sized molded inlet and outlet pipe 1/4 and 5/16in you just cut the smaller off if using the 5/16in hose.

8 hours ago, classiclife said:

Folk in the UK need to be aware of ethanol, but not jump on the paranoia bandwagon which seems to sweep and be fuelled (excuse the pun) via the national press and Forums on a regular basis.

Do you mean like the unleaded fuel will destroy our engines debate.🤪

Adrian

14 hours ago, classiclife said:

Many classic car owners believe, incorrectly, that overnight we will go from 5% to 10% - that is not the case and 5% will still be available at the pumps. You need only look at the French petrol forecourt system to note that the choice of 5% and 10% is available.

France and the UK seem to have different priorities and ours is electric.

The leaded fuel went, as did the leaded replacement (LRP) in an amazingly short time. I cannot find it anywhere here now, and most fuel stations here seem to have a choice of one diesel or one petrol - that's it. Even the low-sulphur 'City Diesel' seems to have gone from the forecourt. No 98 Super Unleaded, nor 100 RON in any of the places I use across the country, and I'm always on the lookout. The major supermarkets sell two types of fuel, no matter how many pumps or how many hoses each pump has. Most petrol stations will stock whichever is expedient and if the 10% Ethanol sells in quantity, that's all we'll get once current stocks of 5% are used up. 

I believe In the 60’s in the NEast ICI had a chemical plant by product and processed it as fuel thro a network of garages I seem to remember/think it was methanol based it was a bit cheaper than other fuels the Vitesse ran well on it with no apparent damage to the engine, someone might be able to clarify what it actually was and if it had any effect on our engines.

54 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I have a glass fuel filter with shiny chrome ends, the element can be taken out and cleaned. Costs more than the plastic, but prettier and lasts longer.

How long have you had out of those? I've got some, not yet fitted, but still use the single-use one-per-year plastic varieties, so was wondering if there was any advantage.

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

How long have you had out of those? I've got some, not yet fitted, but still use the single-use one-per-year plastic varieties, so was wondering if there was any advantage.

I've had it 6 years, I think, cleaned it out twice, it's still in good shape. 

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Anything for a bit of extra bling!

Oh yes! :lol:

It sits just before the pump, I was thinking about putting a second one in just before the carbs, doesn't add much more protection, but very visible, and shiny.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have one on one of my cars, and i think they only come in 5/16? I use the plastic ones on the others as i have a ready supply and they always go to the bigger part.... so all are 5/16. I don't have preference to either as they both do the job.

Tony. 

6 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

I believe In the 60’s in the NEast ICI had a chemical plant by product and processed it as fuel thro a network of garages I seem to remember/think it was methanol based it was a bit cheaper than other fuels the Vitesse ran well on it with no apparent damage to the engine, someone might be able to clarify what it actually was and if it had any effect on our engines.

I think. ICI (possibly) in conjuction with Shell Oil?.  Where the producers of the Clevland Discol? Ethanol based, in my earlier post?

One of the allegations viz, use of 5% or 10% ethanol is that the fuel degrades in storage?. I had a lot of trouble starting my 2.3Kw Generator, not having been used due to CV. Talking to the makers I was advised this (ethanol) might be a factor and to drain the fuel, clean the filter and the use "fresh" fuel. It worked in that instance, so there might be something in it?.  IF it is a factor, then cars that are "Winterised" might well benefit from being run dry, stored, and refuelled at the season start?.

Had a similar problem with a friends PI that wouldn’t ‘t start which hadn’t been run for eons fuel smelt terrible drained and refilled started immediately.

I put a locally made product into our classic car tanks every 6 months called Fuel Doctor to stabilise it and reduce tank corrosion

18 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

available from club shop 

qccff01.jpg?itok=zEhhZDBZ

A friend had one of these on outlet of his TR6 tank, car misfired and played up terribly.

We worked out that suck on pump was such that it pulled air in through the seals, but it did not leak at all when engine was jot running.

Tightened it up as tight as possible and fault went away.

Hi

Google =  174.000.000 results for in line fuel filters in 0.48seconds. everything from £1-68 upwards. 10pieces for £2-71 on e-bay!! 27p each!!.

13 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Had a similar problem with a friends PI that wouldn’t ‘t start which hadn’t been run for eons fuel smelt terrible drained and refilled started immediately.

I put a locally made product into our classic car tanks every 6 months called Fuel Doctor to stabilise it and reduce tank corrosion

That was the other thing sugested, the use of a Fuel stabiliser. Not tried it, but it could be one option with the Inverter/Genny, it spends a lot of time in a "standby mode" between festivals and over winter. The issue has only come to light in recent times and following the introduction of Ethanol to domestic fuels.

Pete

5 hours ago, PeteH said:

the use of a Fuel stabiliser

Quite common in the marine world.  I use it in the remote tank with the vent cracked open on my 4-stroke outboard engine which sits in the sunshine and gets very little use with sailing on/off the mooring April to October; no problems with the fuel or starting the engine when I need to.  Gets transferred to the GT6 when the boat comes out of the water and no problems in her either.

Dick