Koni shock absorbers - Now a firm believer!

I have to admit I was skeptical about the rave reviews of Koni shock absorbers. I've always installed Bilstein in my vehicles and have noticed a difference. But not quite to the level experienced today when I drove my GT6 back from Moordale motors. Somehow, ride quality and handling both improved dramatically. The car felt supple and more refined (rich for GT6, I know)

Sadly, I was only able to to sort the front end this time, so the rear end felt thrashy and rattled by comparison, exaggerated by the sheer difference in quality over the generic shocks (pictured below).

This difference is why I am entirely committed to purchasing the rear "kit" for Mk2 Rotoflex cars. I look forward to the day it is installed.

Till then,  all I can say is that if you don't know which shock absorbers to get , buy Koni. If you have cheap parts like I had (installed by a previous owner), get Koni. The difference is so noticeable, transformative and enjoyable that you won't regret the money spent.

IMG_0395.thumb.jpg.02adb6815d49b8f97f488226f5d0d02b.jpg09d8dae1-1877-4181-a518-2f6526895308.thumb.JPG.afee3b18bc6cf71ce5d6efafd2aaf92c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I Must agree, I fitted Koni's to my last three Classics, two of which where Triumphs

Be careful which ones you get for the rear if using the Chassis mounted top extension brackets on the Roto-flex rear suspension?

The ones specified may not be the correct Open/Closed lengths. 

4 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Be careful which ones you get for the rear if using the Chassis mounted top extension brackets on the Roto-flex rear suspension?

I believe the Rimmer Bros kit is correct but have no way to verify this sadly. 

21 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

I believe the Rimmer Bros kit is correct but have no way to verify this sadly. 

I wouldn't be so sure?

Are you using the chassis mount extension brackets or the original Wheel arch mounted brackets?

If you are using the Chassis Extension brackets make sure the open/closed lengths are compatible, I used Koni 80-1717 Dampers designed for a Classic Mini, these have an open length of 296mm and a closed length of 218mm 

They do need a few Modifications to make them fit though, send me a PM and I can explain if this is the route you want to go down with your GT6?

Regards   

Gary 

80-1717.jpg

I have konis on my spitfire - and now it has rear suspension too they are very nice.  The ride is so much better too. Actually seem to have some spring on the back - it tended to crash over bumps with very little give.  
still riding a little higher than I’d like but hopefully will settle after a few miles. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Incase anyone's interested, I was able to pick a pair of rear Koni 80-1389 shocks for 20% off (£83 each) today thanks to ebay's 20% off promotion. These are the Mk3 shocks that I believe are sold as part of their kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koni-Classic-Red-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Triumph-GT6-Mk3-74-74/232561605156?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Promo Code: Picksave20

On 05/03/2021 at 12:40, Gary Flinn said:

I Must agree, I fitted Koni's to my last three Classics, two of which where Triumphs

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know which ones to use?,i am about to replace the 1980`s Spax rears on my Vitesse with Koni,it is a MK 1 but i converted it to roto and then CV shafts.I use the original shock top mounts for the MK 1 chassis.

Steve

5 hours ago, Steve P said:

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know which ones to use?,i am about to replace the 1980`s Spax rears on my Vitesse with Koni,it is a MK 1 but i converted it to roto and then CV shafts.I use the original shock top mounts for the MK 1 chassis.

Steve

Steve, I have the CV conversion on my spitfire, and have been using std spitfire shocks (same as Mk1 vitesse, herald etc) Well, std Koni... as in non-roto. Local chappie has been using the non-roto Gaz shocks (I did warn him!) on his Vitesse with CV conversion.

On 26/03/2021 at 18:17, clive said:

Koni Part Number: 80-1389

So appears to be correct for non-rotoflex....

Clive's right I think, some years ago I bought these as part of the bracket conversion kit - from the club I think ? Although they seem to have been ok on my Mk 2 Vit, I 've suspected that they were slight too long for some time. So recently I bought GAZ shocks from the Club which are the correct fitted length for rotoflex setup.

You will see the comparison in open and closed lengths in the pics.  As I've converted the car to CV shafts and dont need to clear the donut, I'm going to refit the Konis.  Clive assures me they will be the correct length when to the MK1 top chassis mount - and do away with bracket extens. 

Gav

20200414_124648.jpg

20200414_124916.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

They work correctly with the extension brackets on a Rotoflex car? 

The difference between std rear shocks and those required for extension brackets is shown in trigolfs  pic. Std shocks may bottom out, unless the extension bracket is a different design (somebody altered or made their own for their car, saw that nearly 30 years ago. Seemed VERY sensible, the bracket had a "kick" up by an inch or so. 

To clarify my understanding:

I used Koni 80-1717 dampers on the rear of my old Vitesse when using the top extension brackets, my car was still fitted with Rotoflex couplings, some modifications are required though to the Bushes?

The Open and closed lengths on the 80-1717 Dampers are different as shown in the photo's by Trigolf above, presumably the new Gaz ones are a similar open/closed lengths to the 80-1717 Koni's (218mm closed & 296mm open).   

Clive states that the Koni Dampers specified for the standard Swing axle suspension when using the the original top mounts will work with the CV drive shafts with no bottoming out.

Regards

Gary  

The adjustable element of Koni dampers is purely to allow for wear.  I was told by Koni technical department, many years ago, that new Konis should be set to full soft (which is usually what they're set to out of the box).  As they wear, they can gradually be turned up to bring their performance back.  I have cars with older Konis on, and have never had one wear out.  One set I have is now 45 years old, and working fine.  Just as well as Koni no longer make shock absorbers for that car, neither do pretty much anyone else.

Roger

• Like 3