Forum Bug!

Sorry Pete - Out of ideas for this one. The only thing that technically appears to set you apart from everyone else is your shooting star graphic and number of posts, which shouldn't cause problems. Have a word with your PC guru when he gets back. It looks to be specific to your PC if your other devices work, but I don't know why. It does look like your machine is still holding data from the old forum release which is conflicting with the new version.

Pete,

There appear to be a lot of queries on the Interweb about tiles loosing their icons in Windows 10. The icons disappear, their boxes remain but are left blank. Yours appear to have written descriptions of what the tabs are, but it seems a similar fault. Do your tabs still work?  

I wouldn't try the fix without knowing what the commands mean :o probably best to wait for your Computer Grand Master. 

Microsoft tiles are losing icons in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Doug

here's some drift 

nasty clutch with low fingers,  new x shaft machined dowel hole and lever out of position   slave over extended and blown seals out (all new stuff by previous owner)   and ive just done a valuation on it ...was ok then !!!

think you link about MS has alot to do with all this  

time will tell ,

Pete

20 hours ago, poppyman said:

Nothing has changed on my pc apart from the rockets and now the posh arm bands. But i am running good old windows XP :) The only thing that gets updated is my NOD32 AV.

Tony.

NOD from the past. I hope its updated. "Hail NOD and bend the knee". circ 1980's Superman 2. Respect. Best Superman!

• Thanks 1

I think that you have found the culprit. M/S strikes again. Must be something on your machine and those who are also reporting similar problems. Way beyond me though. Thankfully I have not had these problems...yet. Could be screen driver settings have been screwed??

Several times over the past few days ive been unable to post on both android and Mac. When I press to 'submit reply' I says 'saving' and doesn't move on so I have to cancel and try again. 

Hope this glitch disappears, I don't have any problems with othe Internet searches etc. 

Iain 

I'm pressing Submit Reply now......it worked! 

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I thought it was me

I thought I'd been naughty and Kevin was chastising me! The tinternet round here doesn't like hot weather and all those WFH are clogging up the lines watching footy! 

Sorry Kevin...... 

Iain 

Just tried it on my computer worked fine which is good news for me but not for you, sorry Pete.

Just for info my system is a biggish black box with a blue light and a red one that flashes occasionally. I use google chrome because it's got a colourful logo.

I gave up being too bothered about electronics after leaving Racal Defense electronics to move here in '94. I lost confidence in electronic engineers after a test team wanted certain pieces of equipment so they could hack it to listen to the cricket - nobody had a radio!

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Watch it! I was an electronics engineer MIERE and I could design radios. Alas no more. :(

Doug

You've just proved my point. 'could design radios' that's what they did using damned expensive military grade test boxes 😁

When testing the antennas for the radars (in the lab not in place) a dummy microwave unit had to be fitted, the rumour was that if they didn't it would sterilise everyone in the whole town. 

To test them on a tower they were fitted at another site, more rural, and could only be done when Heathrow was closed in the wee small hours and with correct approval from air traffic control as they would jam everything flying over that part of Surrey.

On 17/06/2021 at 17:04, Chris A said:

You've just proved my point. 'could design radios' that's what they did using damned expensive military grade test boxes 😁

When testing the antennas for the radars (in the lab not in place) a dummy microwave unit had to be fitted, the rumour was that if they didn't it would sterilise everyone in the whole town. 

To test them on a tower they were fitted at another site, more rural, and could only be done when Heathrow was closed in the wee small hours and with correct approval from air traffic control as they would jam everything flying over that part of Surrey.

My Wife, Used to log all the Radar test results, on a very early DOS versioned Computer. At Marconi, C&C Camberley. She still recons that was the best job she had, they left her alone to do her work, as very few had any idea what she did and how!. Her "commute" car was the Vitesse.

Pete

well its taken a lot of people a long time to sort this display of icons out but today Adrian has spent a long time testing and its is not a browser or site problem but something to do with windows contrast settings   

so as of today ive got lots more typing space and 

proper icons   this has to be a windows update as both desktop and laptop have the same problem 

now why didnt i know that !!!!!! as a  numpty button presser ........Pete

image.thumb.png.d4fe47b08f7006637ac1869cb876e2bc.png

• Like 1

Glad you finally got a result Pete. Mr Gates Is currently "trailing" Windows 11, JUST as the last Incarnation (10) was (finally) settling down!!.

Any Bets, He want`s more money to upgrade?. I supose someone has to pay for his divorce?.

A lot of folk I know, go on about "Mac". But even that has issues. I cannot access (fully) this forum, I can read but not post, using the I-Pad (2) which I have won`t upgrade beyond IOS9.4?. So effectivly stuck in the past unless I want to shell out several Hundred Quid

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Mr Gates Is currently "trailing" Windows 11

Mr Gates hasn't been Microsoft for a LONG time.

Try and keep up Pete! :)

ios 9.4?!! You must have a very old device! I have an iphone 6s, ios 14.6, the oldest device they still update, it works fine on the forum. 

I read the final update to devices before 6s deliberately slowed them down to encourage owners to buy a new device. 

Microsoft are incompetent, Apple are devious. 

Doug

this was the setting that plagued both PC and laptop 

why did it get changed by whom etc.  

but such a simple hidden setting caused a good deal of head scratching by those who know 

i stood no chance  but i aim critic at the windows update same day as the forum security update 

image.thumb.png.7f463d7219f73f731b07e84c3a7b3da8.png

I was of the understanding that windows 10 was to be the last numbered version and that it would just be updates after that. Not sure that I can face either more incompetent updates or...an incompetent upgrade. All I want is competent  security upgrades to patch up the MS hack holes, something that loads quickly, no bloatware but with an option to install their cr*p if you really want it. I don't want their browser, cloud services, latest office, to know where I am and therefore tell everyone where I am or anything else that I already have. BUT (shouty bit) I do want a virtual windows installer which has on file all the versions of Windows so that I can easily and automatically load all my old, perfectly serviceable,  paid for software which MS have ensured won't run under win10 without having the technical knowledge to install a virtual machine, source the version of Windows that will run it and install it. No, I don't want much really...dream on little rabbit. I feel better now, I'll go and lie down for an hour.

• Thanks 1