Forum Bug!

38 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

No, I don't want much really...dream on little rabbit. I feel better now, I'll go and lie down for an hour.

Is it too much to ask that you can surf without constant recommendations for 'Edge' or '**** isn't your main browser'...?

Even on the Mac I still get that 'Edge' popup everytime I do a Bing search. Everytime I make coffee and open a tin of Nescafe I'm expecting the lid to popup and ask me: why aren't you using Lavazza? Those days are coming.... :)

Colin - As I remember you have had problems with a paid for version of Word not running properly and being forced to use Office 365 at great cost. You went onto Libre Office if I am right. I am still using word 2003/2007. Apart from the dictionary, it needs no upgrade, it's a word processor. If it works and did what you wanted, what is there to upgrade? This whole computer, phone, electronic gadgets thing really gets up my nose. My current computer worked great out of the box. Even after I had put on several thousand multibytes of data. Then Microsoft stated to update their bug ridden, bloated, badly written security lacking software to put right what should have been right from the start and now it's slowing down. Just like all the others, and we accept it, "when will they ever learn....when will they everrrr (sic) learn" *

*Where have all the flowers gone - Pete Seeger 1955

Upgrades! 

What is wrong with a good reliable phone like the one I had

p1.jpg.c3595efb34276bb83ebb0f7230029bc0.jpg

They insisted I upgraded to the latest model

p2.thumb.jpg.db3a8836316b47a0d26f6e018904c00c.jpg

Now someone wants me to have a mobile phone, why, Stupid idea all those phone boxes on street corners, pubs with public phones. who needs to carry phone with them?

p3.thumb.jpg.dd0f2b06a338d991be407871da7b5223.jpg

Must dash, the wheelwright is coming to repair my horseless carriage. 

34 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Colin - As I remember you have had problems with a paid for version of Word not running properly and being forced to use Office 365 at great cost. You went onto Libre Office if I am right. I am still using word 2003/2007. Apart from the dictionary, it needs no upgrade, it's a word processor. If it works and did what you wanted, what is there to upgrade?

The computer upgraded, I didn't... :) I lost Word by trying to reset things and when I lost it, it wouldn't reinstall so £160 down the drain, which is the most galling part of things... Libre Office works fine enough and the 'Save as Word Document' option seems to be suiting my agents, so I'm happy so far.

I'm also seriously fed up with cookies and having to 'reject all' on some sites or manually turn them off on others - one site I was on yesterday whilst looking for Delco fuel pumps had over 140 cookies and there was no option to select all. I had to turn each one off manually. It seems the easy option to accept all then you get bombarded by junk mail as you have allegedly 'opted in'.

I have given up with cookies. I clear my system at weekends, have suitable traps on my emails, reject from mailing lists if the options are there. I don't do farcebook or other social media except for this and a couple of other forums. I get very little junk and all is well except for that early morning message, "windows is updating - please wait" all very well if I need to do something urgent, like on line banking for which I only trust the security of my pc. Phones and tablets are all locked down with anti virus software but the pc has all manner of protection that isn't on the portables. Don't do that many apps either so nothing comes from them. Dinosaur, that's me...and proud of it. Once a leader in technology, now sadly reduced to cave man status....am I bovered???!!!...no.

37 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Chris,

I have the GT version.

daliphone.PNG.9db4322711eb6a50c56bccabd1bc9ad4.PNG

Doug

Designed to bite the heads off cold callers?

(hopefully?)

To be honest Doug, Microsoft will always be Bill Gates, as far as I`m concerned. He`s currently (aparently) in the throes of the worlds most expensive divorce. My heart doesent exactly bleed for him.

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm also seriously fed up with cookies and having to 'reject all' on some sites or manually turn them off on others - one site I was on yesterday whilst looking for Delco fuel pumps had over 140 cookies and there was no option to select all. I had to turn each one off manually. It seems the easy option to accept all then you get bombarded by junk mail as you have allegedly 'opted in'.

I know just how you feel, The time wasted in reducing the "cookie count". must amount to hours.

Pete

4 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Does clearing cookies not mean that you loose all the remembered sign ins and associated google passwords?

Not necessarily, depends what you use to clear them. I have a programme on my machine which allows you mark cookies that you want to keep, the rest get dumped. I have marked as keepers this forum, for example, and all the other sites I use regularly.

It is a pain when you go to a site which you will probably never use again and have to tick 'the box'. I have noticed recently that some sites do have an option to continue without accepting cookies. You have to look carefully as it isn't as obvious as the boxes they want you to tick.

Long live dinosaurs!

• Like 1

Both my browsers previously Firefox, currently Opera have the facility for storing and auto filling passwords etc. I am very careful not to allow them to save bank, credit card and other sensitive details. They do ask if you want to save them for the future and you can delete them if you click yes in error. Quite useful.

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

ios 9.4?!! You must have a very old device!

Yep. Series2 Mini. It works for 90% of the stuff I want to use it for, but sadly NOT for posting on this forum. My I-Phone 8 Like your I-6 works Ok.

Pete

Ha! Yes. My first job was a chainman. A surveyor's dogsbody. I too have handled a chain.

I also crawled, on my knees, on to the top of a 60 ft support pillar about 1sqm with a staff, praying I would not have to extend it.

I still get vertigo thinking about that episode :(

Oil refinery Flare Stacks were the worst! The scariest job I did was mid 60's a Rotary Cement Kiln in the Dales, Eastgate which was hundreds of feet long, the 30ft long 15ft dia slightly off horiz cylindrical sections had to be moved into place using a walking portal gantry around 30ft long on rails which were around 30ft apart using air motors on the portal powering each rail track via 4 bogies, trying to get the four bogie motors in sync so they travelled on the rail at the same speed was thwart with issues, Oh the operators and supervisor (me) had to be on the portal/gantry upper platform (around 45ft high) where the air winch speeds were controlled! You could see what happened they would get out of sync and one bogie would jump and the whole portal would move like an earthquake once even becoming derailed!

No computer syncronised control in those days to manage the control just human error!!! Looking on the web the cement plant has now been shut down and the land slowly reclaimed, the cement dust killed everything for miles, environmental vandal's we were, hey I just built it didn't operate it!

At the commissioning the owners/operators were cowboys, all my accurate alignment of the very long kiln was put to the test, they heated it up too fast and you could see the bow in the length of the kiln so it rose off the intermediate support roller stations, all that fine alignment I did using surveying equipment even manometers went out the door, fortunately the refractory brick lining didn't collapse!